Now is a good time to renew an UK passport

If you really travel a lot, I've heard you can get a second British passport - so one can be with lodged with X foreign embassy waiting on a visa application and the other can be with you in Y foreign country on a business trip.

I can't find any official information about this, but this website seems to suggest it's possible: http://www.britishpassportsuk.co.uk/second-british-passport-application.html

Sadly I'm not important enough to travel that much... maybe one day! ;)

If you really travel a lot, I've heard you can get a second British passport - so one can be with lodged with X foreign embassy waiting on a visa application and the other can be with you in Y foreign country on a business trip.

I can't find any official information about this, but this website seems to suggest it's possible: http://www.britishpassportsuk.co.uk/second-british-passport-application.html

Sadly I'm not important enough to travel that much... maybe one day! wink.png

I'm sure many others can also confirm that a second UK passport is possible.

Have had two for a number of years. My current passports are about three years old - one almost full with the second one at about 50% usage. They were obtained for me via my UK based employer. As far as I am aware, it just needed a letter from them confirming that a second passport is needed for work travel reasons. Never a problem in obtaining the two.

The OP wrote:

" They do now however credit any validity you have on your old passport (up to 9 months) to your new one and at that price, so they should."

That is nothing new...

I recall renewing my passport 12 years ago, I submitted my application nine and a half months before it was due to expire on a Monday, expecting it to take a few weeks to process, the new passport arrived back on Friday of the same week and I lost two weeks validity as it was only valid for ten years and nine months.

One query for UK renewals

Supporting documents to verify address

Is the 90 day address notification at Immigration recognized by UK passort office as valid supporting document

JGV

The HMPO Applying for a passport from outside the UK

Supporting Documents states:
Name and address and/or residency evidence
Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
** Therefore I assume simple showing your Thai Non Imm visa is enough??

Just about to renew mine and noticed this thing about the name and address evidence thing.

I have a work permit and a visa to go with the work permit, is that enough?

Also, on the application,

Section 4 is Parent's details, I guess this needs to be filled out correct?

I guess nothing needs to be written on the back of one of the pictures as in counter sign as i can be recognised from my passport picture

Anything else

Sadly I'm not important enough to travel that much... maybe one day! wink.png

It's possible but from memory (had one 10-15 years ago) you need to get someone within your company who has some authority (bit loose - dunno the actual requirement) to write a letter explaining why you need a second passport. Girlfriends/hookers in every port and a crowded social diary doesn't hack it!

Just about to renew mine and noticed this thing about the name and address evidence thing.

I have a work permit and a visa to go with the work permit, is that enough?

Also, on the application,

Section 4 is Parent's details, I guess this needs to be filled out correct?

I guess nothing needs to be written on the back of one of the pictures as in counter sign as i can be recognised from my passport picture

Anything else

If the visa or work permit shows your Thai address in English on it - yes. No visas or extensions in my passport showed any address on them. I phoned up to check (late Feb-15) if they would accept a bank statement with my Thai address in English* on it. They said yes and asked that I state in the additional info section that I was presenting that as evidence because I could not fulfill any of their formal requirements.

If stuck for an address evidence you are going to have to phone their number (in UK) and discuss. At least they do not charge for the use of their helpline like the UK Visa service does

Guess they would accept a Thai language address if you got a pofessional translator to sign it off.

• Like 1

Ok, I also read it says an official letter from your work place is also ok, I would do that as well

Also about the payment form you need to fill in, is it ok for my Thai manager to use his credit cards details on that? As I don't own a CC...

How did it work out for anyone with the e mail the dates and times thing?

I just e mailed 3 dates and time to them, wondering how long before they reply back.

Edited by Jo12Jo

Using the credit card of a friend or similar is permissible I think (remember thinking it was odd coming from normally officious officialdom, but I suspected their CC-only policy had created a lot of problems). I recall they asked to take the assigned credit card and I think they ran it through their own hand-held terminal. I cannot recall whether they ripped it out and asked me to sign (think they did0 or whether they asked for a PIN. Either way you need the card with you and it may be that your friend/colleague would need to trust you with his password for the day. What happens if they insist on physical signature I'm not sure

If nobody else turns up here with knowledge you will need to phone the UK; I'm sure it's a question they get all the time.

Edit to add:

I think response time on the e-mail request for an appointment was certainly within one working day and I think it might have been as quick as early morning in response to my late pm previous day request. They gave me their earliest possible appointment as one of the three options, which was about 4 working days (plus a weekend) away. This was as early as I would have expected and was the date I did select as my earliest request

Edited by SantiSuk

The OP said:

Cost a juicy £110.86

But on the website it says:

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee) Adult standard 32-page passport £83.00

£106.01

Which is different to what the OP said...

The OP said:

Cost a juicy £110.86

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee) Adult standard 32-page passport £83.00

£106.01

I expect courier costs vary depending on which country you have it sent to, some are going to be more expensive than others.

I also paid extra for 48 pages.

The OP said:

Cost a juicy £110.86

£106.01

I expect courier costs vary depending on which country you have it sent to, some are going to be more expensive than others.

I also paid extra for 48 pages.

My bad, I just thought the OP was talking about doing it in Thailand as this is a Thailand based Forum

Is the 90 day address notification at Immigration recognized by UK passort office as valid supporting document

JGV

Can anyone confirm that a Nom Imm O yearly extension is NOT acceptable as residency evidence? The HMPO document states it as an acceptable option so I assume it will be accepted even tho it doesn't state actual address lived at in Thailand??

Ok, I also read it says an official letter from your work place is also ok, I would do that as well

Also about the payment form you need to fill in, is it ok for my Thai manager to use his credit cards details on that? As I don't own a CC...

How did it work out for anyone with the e mail the dates and times thing?

I just e mailed 3 dates and time to them, wondering how long before they reply back.

The form you fill in for paying by cc is in two sections, one for the applicant and one for the cardholder so this makes it possible to use someones cc as they have to list their details and can be contacted.

I sent an email on 16 March, a.m. got a reply back p.m. and the date they gave me was 25 March (my third choice of dates)

You also mention in a previous post about section 4 of the application, you do not need to fill this in as you are renewing.

Dont forget to fill the form in using a black ink pen and keep your signature in the box

Good luck

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed there is no where on the application form which asks for a date, so is that correct, no date needed?

Also for the payment I only have a K bank debit card, which used to be called a visa electron card, I thought I could use that but it asked for a Valid from date, which these cards don't have, has anyone used their debit card for payment in BKK?

One thing I have noticed there is no where on the application form which asks for a date, so is that correct, no date needed?

Also for the payment I only have a K bank debit card, which used to be called a visa electron card, I thought I could use that but it asked for a Valid from date, which these cards don't have, has anyone used their debit card for payment in BKK?

There is no date on the form because the dates that will be entered on your new passport will be determined by the dates on your current passport.

As for using your K Bank card it should have the Visa symbol on it. Not sure how you will get on trying to debit the amount in GBP.

Have you had your appointment confirmed yet?

There is no date on the form because the dates that will be entered on your new passport will be determined by the dates on your current passport.

As for using your K Bank card it should have the Visa symbol on it. Not sure how you will get on trying to debit the amount in GBP.

Have you had your appointment confirmed yet?

Yes I got the confirmed date and time e mail from them this morning

I will call the help line and ask them about the card I have see what they say

• Like 1

The bog standard debit card didn't work for me when I renewed my passport, as I understand they will only work when they are physically swiped or if set up for online use, and then only if used online.

Mine was rejected when entered manually, I've also had this happen when hotels have entered the details manually.

However I gave them the number for my virtual Kasikorn card, and that went through.

This was in HKG, but I think they used the same system.

• Like 1

Can anyone please advise me where I can get my wife's Thai ID card and blue address book (Tambien baan), translated into English and which is approved and will be accepted by the UK passport office ? We live up north, and are going to have to travel down to Bangkok to do this, and also go to the passport renewal place.

Just to clarify, my wife (Thai) needs to renew her UK passport.

Edited by MrMuddle

Just got back from putting my renewal application in. My appointment was for 10.30 but not sure on traffic set out early. Car park ticket was showing as 9.10 arrival no problem I needed to get my address translated. Went in the first shop I saw and they did this and stamped it "certified", cost 50 Baht. Went to reception on the ground floor and showed them my appointment email which they stamped. Off to floor 28 to reception there, showed them appointment and told them I was early, no problem,gave me a ticket for the queue ticket and told to go through security. Sat down waiting for number to be called. When called had to go into a room and handed the paperwork over. Extremely helpful and polite lady with very good English checked everything off and gave me a receipt for everything and also instructions on collecting the new passport.She told me this usually takes between 6-12 weeks but i think this may be erring on the side of caution. Had the car park ticket stamped so no fee payable and was back in the lift on the way out at 9.40.

One thing I thought about on the way home was when I handed the payment form in she checked through it but never asked to see the credit card so it appears its just the same sort of procedure as buying something over the internet.

I have read many threads on this forum over the last few months on this subject and must admit I was dreading going but credit where its due the whole process was very well carried out by well spoken and very polite people in a professional manner and in a clean and well laid out office. I wish the British Embassy would take note.

Can anyone please advise me where I can get my wife's Thai ID card and blue address book (Tambien baan), translated into English and which is approved and will be accepted by the UK passport office ? We live up north, and are going to have to travel down to Bangkok to do this, and also go to the passport renewal place.

Just to clarify, my wife (Thai) needs to renew her UK passport.

I had an address translated today at Trendy cost 50 Baht but I think they charge 150 baht for a full page. They deal with all translations for passports and visas. They are situated on the ground floor at trendy on the left side as you are stood looking at reception. I have found it better to use people who are near the departments you are using as they are dealing with this sort of thing everyday and understand what is required. Plus if anything is not quite right they are near enough to correct it straight away. There were many Thais in there getting translations done for visas

I just renewed my passport here in the UK, sent it to Durham Thursday 19th March, they received the application the following day

I got the "It is being printed.....etc" text message yesterday lunchtime and came home today to find it had been delivered.

That was for a 48 page passport, did not use the Post Office check-and-send service.

JGV

Can anyone confirm that a Nom Imm O yearly extension is NOT acceptable as residency evidence? The HMPO document states it as an acceptable option so I assume it will be accepted even tho it doesn't state actual address lived at in Thailand??

"Applicants must provide ..... and one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year .....

Name and address and/or residency evidence [includes]:

visa or resident permit ...."

Although I did not read it as such when I applied, I agree that the above requirement could be interpreted to read:

"Applicants must provide ......and one document as evidence of name and ..... residency dated within the last year .....

Name and ...... residency evidence [includes]:

visa ...."

In the absence of anyone coming on with positive confirmation, I personally would not rely on that literal reading without checking with their helpline. Then there is also the question as to whether a non-O indicates residency. Strikes me that a non-O is evidence of multiple visiting not residency. An extension might be taken as evidence of residency though even then a one-year extension does not technically guarantee that you are resident (if I use the presence in Thailand for 180 days test that Thailand taxation authorities use for residency qualification).

It would be useful to have clarity on both points. Let the forum know how it turned out if you enquire or if you test it out without enquiry.

I would put money on a non-O failing to provide the evidence they look for, just on the grounds that it's usually tougher than you think it is with UK immigration rules!

Edited by SantiSuk

Went to the BKK office on Monday, I just noticed the fee for the passport had just been taken out of my account, checked the DHL tracking and yes it had arrived at the UK passport office yesterday.

Looks like it's being processed already then if they've paid themselves already

Guess I won't be getting any DHL tracking number sent to me for the return, I read that the VFS office e mail you once they have it.

Look forward to seeing how long it will be from now though.

I wish there was a step in between them charging your card and you getting an email from VFS that the passport had arrived in Bangkok. Something like "your passport is being printed and will leave the UK in x days". Would happily pay a little extra for it.

Further to my previous post, my son's passport has finally arrived and fortunately it arrived whilst we were in Bkk on other business so no need to make an extra trip.

So, in summary:

Child renewal 20 days

Child first passport 45 days

Further to my previous post, my son's passport has finally arrived and fortunately it arrived whilst we were in Bkk on other business so no need to make an extra trip.

So, in summary:

Child renewal 20 days

Child first passport 45 days

I remember a year or so back when I got my kids their first British passport, from the day leaving everything at the British Embassy to the day it arrived to me via DHL is was under 2 weeks....I was very happy with that turn around back then

Just got back from putting my renewal application in. My appointment was for 10.30 but not sure on traffic set out early. Car park ticket was showing as 9.10 arrival no problem I needed to get my address translated. Went in the first shop I saw and they did this and stamped it "certified", cost 50 Baht. Went to reception on the ground floor and showed them my appointment email which they stamped. Off to floor 28 to reception there, showed them appointment and told them I was early, no problem,gave me a ticket for the queue ticket and told to go through security. Sat down waiting for number to be called. When called had to go into a room and handed the paperwork over. Extremely helpful and polite lady with very good English checked everything off and gave me a receipt for everything and also instructions on collecting the new passport.She told me this usually takes between 6-12 weeks but i think this may be erring on the side of caution. Had the car park ticket stamped so no fee payable and was back in the lift on the way out at 9.40.

One thing I thought about on the way home was when I handed the payment form in she checked through it but never asked to see the credit card so it appears its just the same sort of procedure as buying something over the internet.

I have read many threads on this forum over the last few months on this subject and must admit I was dreading going but credit where its due the whole process was very well carried out by well spoken and very polite people in a professional manner and in a clean and well laid out office. I wish the British Embassy would take note.

WOOHOOO!!! Just got a call from trendy and my passport is ready for collection, thats less than 2 weeks since I applied. Taking into consideration holiday times as well I have to say I am well pleased with the service. How times have changed from 12 months ago!!clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Just got to negotiate all the traffic to collect it noww00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

WOOHOOO!!! Just got a call from trendy and my passport is ready for collection, thats less than 2 weeks since I applied. Taking into consideration holiday times as well I have to say I am well pleased with the service. How times have changed from 12 months ago!!clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Just got to negotiate all the traffic to collect it noww00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Cool so they call you, I look forward to my call then

• Like 1

Child first passport application submitted 19th March, Received the call today to say that it can now be collected.

That's 21 days (including weekends) by my calculations so consider me very impressed.