webfact

Claims of torture over court attack materialise
PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK,
SUPHACHAI PETCHTHAWEE,
PANYA THIEWSANGWAN
THE NATION

30256375-01_big.jpg?1426802889403

Doctors to re-examine suspects, but warden denies allegations of assault

BANGKOK: -- POLICE WILL get doctors to re-examine four of the suspects allegedly involved in the hand-grenade attack on the Criminal Court following allegations of physical assault and torture to obtain confessions.

Police spokesperson Lt-General Prawut Thavornsiri said doctors had examined the suspects when the military had turned them over to police investigators after a week of detention under martial law. Police were checking to see if the doctors found any evidence of torture.

But Prawut said that if complaints of mistreatment were made while a suspect was in prison then another examination would be conducted.

However, he insisted that all four suspects were in good mental condition when they were handed over although according to normal procedures no examination of the skin was conducted, with the focus on blood pressure, heart-beat rate, and not whether any wounds on the body could have occurred before or after they were placed in military custody.

Independent examination

The move for a second examination comes after the Thai Human Rights Lawyers submitted a letter to the warden of Bangkok Remand Prison requesting an independent medical examination to be conducted on the suspects to verify an allegation of torture while under military custody.

The TLHR distributed photos on what it alleged was evidence that Sansern Sriounruen had been tortured.

Pawinee Chumsri, a pro-bono human rights lawyer for Sansern Sriounruen, one of the grenade-attack suspects, said she and her colleagues have submitted a letter to the Aryut Sinthoppan warden of Bangkok Remand Prison on Wednesday making the request in hope that physical examination would reveal the truth about the torture allegations made by Sansern.

National Human Rights Commission member Niran Pitakwatchara said yesterday that the commission had received a complaint on the matter and would examine the suspects next week.

He said all the suspects must be considered innocent until found guilty in a court of law and must not be subjected to torture. Anyone found guilty of doing so would be in breach of Article 225-226 of the Penal Code.

Sansern told reporters that he had been tortured, including electric shock around 40 times, being kicked in the head and suffering other forms of assault, to force a confession from him under military detention but he had refused to confess.

He said there were visible traces of ill-treatment. He was in military custody from March 9 to 14.

"We are concerned that torture may have taken place," said Pawinee, adding that three other suspects had also claimed to have been either assaulted or tortured.

Pawinee said physical examinations would shed light on the allegations.

'No traces of torture'

Aryut said a primary examination on six suspects, including Sansern, revealed no traces of torture. The other five suspects include Mahahin Khunthong, who allegedly drove the motorbike used in the attack, and the alleged hand-grenade thrower Yutthana Yenphinyo.

National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari denied that there had been any torture of the suspects by the military and accused the TLHR of undermining the credibility of the officers overseeing the suspects' military detention.

"I am confident that there's no reason for the officers to coerce," said Winthai, adding that the NCPO was acting under international norms and police were taking action on the allegations.

He said the rights lawyers group should have cross-checked the facts before making the allegation.

In a related development, key grenade-attack suspect Suphaphorn Mit-arak was taken by police by helicopter to Mukdahan, her home province, to re-enact her alleged crimes. He has been charged with terrorism and other offences.

Suphaphorn allegedly helped plot the attack from her home and transferred the money to the alleged attackers, Mahahin and Yutthana.

Suphaphorn was later taken back to Bangkok for further interrogation after staging the re-enactment at six spots in the province, including at Kasikorn Bank's Mukdahan branch where she allegedly withdrew the money used to hire the attackers.

Another re-enactment spot was at her home, where Suphaphorn allegedly handed over money to another accomplice.

Police are searching for other suspects, while the military will turn over two more suspects, including self-proclaimed bomb-maker Suraphol Iamsuwan, to police today.

Prawut said the alleged mastermind of the attacks, Manoon "Anek" Chaichana, may no longer be in |the United States and police were coordinating with Interpol on the matter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Claims-of-torture-over-court-attack-materialise-30256375.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-20

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Torture Allegation is a 'Distortion of Facts,' Thai Junta Says
By Khaosod English

14267654601426765532l.jpg
Two suspects accused of throwing a grenade at the Criminal Court on 7 March "re-enact" their alleged crime with police, 13 March 2015.

BANGKOK — A Thai junta spokesperson has denied that four men were tortured in military custody last week, and threatened to take legal action against those who spread the allegation.

The Thai Lawyers for Human Rights Center released a statement yesterday accusing the military of torturing the four men, who were recently arrested in connection with an alleged "terrorism network" that plotted to stage bomb attacks in Bangkok.

Soldiers patrol the Criminal Court in Bangkok, where a grenade exploded on 7 March. 16 March 2015.

According to the lawyers, the four suspects were tortured into making false confessions by military officers from 9 - 15 March, when they were held for interrogation at an army barrack.

Col. Winthai Suwaree, spokesperson of the junta, said he has investigated the claim and determined it to be "untrue."

"Such information is intended to distort the facts and damage the credibility of security officers," Col. Winthai said. "We may further investigate the suspects who provided this information, or certain ill-intentioned individuals who are trying to spread such false information."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1426765460&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-03-20

Why would they not torture somebody? Recent cases where the police used torture to gain a false confession have been praised from top brass as being "perfect cases" and the violent policemen have been "richly rewarded". Setting torture as the standard to be followed if investigators want to bask in the afterglow of Somyot's praise. This should have all been thought about 6 months ago - as 99% of TVF members were rightly pointing out.

"I am confident that there's no reason for the officers to coerce," said Winthai,adding that the NCPO was acting under international norms

My guess is that it is truly possible to find other countries which use the same 'norms'

But that wouldn't put this 'government' in a good light...

clap2.gif cheesy.gif clap2.gif cheesy.gif

and the clown car rolls on...

The Junta congratulated and rewarded police for obtaining confessions from accused in another case even tho it was tortured out of them.

More bloody lies and crap from the Junta just like we don't have political prisoners, now revealed they have around 1,000. What fool would believe a single word this Junta says. They are pissing on the country and saying it is raining, nothing to worry about.

Col. Winthai who just happens to be the junta spokesman which of course makes him truly independent and neutral has investigated the claims and found them to be ' untrue ' so how did it go ?

Soldier : " the suspects say they were tortured to confess. "

Col. : " I don't believe them. "

SORTED.

"I am confident that there's no reason for the officers to coerce," said Winthai,adding that the NCPO was acting under international norms

My guess is that it is truly possible to find other countries which use the same 'norms'

But that wouldn't put this 'government' in a good light...

clap2.gif cheesy.gif clap2.gif cheesy.gif

and the clown car rolls on...

Everyday they give us something else to laugh at them for. Uncle Too said he was a funny guy and he is always joking on the international stage. These are just gifts to the people as part of the happiness campaign. Laughter makes people happy, doesn't do much to running a country tho.

Who to believe? There have been highly suspect assertions in the past about torture/forced confessions. Trust is earned, and IMO I can not be sure that these accusations are false, and that there can easily be a certain element of truth contained in these claims. Of course there will be always be exaggeration and denial from both sides.

Prawut said "no examination of the skin was conducted, with the focus on blood pressure, heart-beat rate, and not whether any wounds on the body could have occurred before or after they were placed in military custody." Why not?

Strongly think that suspects should definitely be examined by an independent medical professional BEFORE the suspects are placed in detention.

Even if torture allegations aren't truly torture and/or cannot be proven then it still makes the wording of 'being invited to a military base' completely ridiculous. Clearly people were abducted there and after coming out they are voicing complaints on the way they were treated.

Sure.. Invited. bah.gif

It may fool some (or even most) people in Thailand (including a disturbingly high number on this forum) but internationally at Human Rights Watch and similar organizations, as well as foreign governments, I bet few are fooled.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The real question here is: To what extent should suspects willing to injure or kill members of the public be protected by standard-rights normally given to suspects??

If torture was indeed used, it might have saved lives!!

The real question here is: To what extent should suspects willing to injure or kill members of the public be protected by standard-rights normally given to suspects??

There is no evidence anywhere to suggest torture saves lives.

torture is not an international law and not law of the country, the opposite is the truth.

the soldiers realize it and try to deny, that the law was broken.

you are going ahead of them, trying to justify breaking of law.

No brain, no headache, eh JOC?

These human rights wasters irritate me - as soon as they appear everyone seems to have been tortured. It must be their stock saying "deny everything and tell the media that you were tortured", it doesn't matter that you committed the crimes and weren't tortured just say it.

Thailand gets accused by the Americans of not being democratic and when they 'SUPPOSEDLY' copy their interrogation methods (I don't believe this torture thing) they get crucified!!! Just cannot win can they.

Torture doesn't have to be in the form of physical beatings, how much does water boarding bruise for example?

Marks on the wrist can be put down to a "struggle" when cuffed.

White noise leaves no physical bruising either.

And a person will say anything to stop the abuse

Whatever methods the police have used here, I am quite certain they are behaving better than they under Chalerm where they knew they had complete immunity from investigation.

I see the usual hypocrites on here are crying foul after the red-shirts and the disgracefully biased "HRC" of Thailand made predictable allegations. If you people had made similar comments during Pheu-Thai's time in office when Chalerm predicted the crime on day one then slammed the case shut on day two after full confessions, maybe some of us would listen to you.

Like I keep saying, the Junta is a bad choice from worse options. Nobody is saying they are whiter than white, but they are a step up from that last dirty bunch.

Torture doesn't have to be in the form of physical beatings, how much does water boarding bruise for example?

Marks on the wrist can be put down to a "struggle" when cuffed.

White noise leaves no physical bruising either.

And a person will say anything to stop the abuse

On the other hand its not unusual for suspects to say they are tortured either it goes both ways. Anyway if no marks are found then it can't be proved.

I believe torture happens everywhere and the US does it a lot too. (been proven) so its not like only countries like Thailand do it.

I would not be suprised if it had happened in the Netherlands or Uk too.

But it is of course about the frequency of it.

Now everyone is crying foul.. because of the Junta.. but even before this allegations have been made about the police. Plus.. the US is a democracy .. but the CIA torture program has been exposed too.

I am against it of course.. but I am not sure I am always against it.. some say its ineffective.. but with terrorist and lives at stake.. who knows.

Edited by robblok

Another day and another horrible press headline about the BIB, This one torture

Actually the 2nd horrible headline today ... another one has BIB being charged with murder

Just one disaster after another

Chances of fair trials and being treated equally here are slim to none, and slim has left the building

Whatever methods the police have used here, I am quite certain they are behaving better than they under Chalerm where they knew they had complete immunity from investigation.

I see the usual hypocrites on here are crying foul after the red-shirts and the disgracefully biased "HRC" of Thailand made predictable allegations. If you people had made similar comments during Pheu-Thai's time in office when Chalerm predicted the crime on day one then slammed the case shut on day two after full confessions, maybe some of us would listen to you.

Like I keep saying, the Junta is a bad choice from worse options. Nobody is saying they are whiter than white, but they are a step up from that last dirty bunch.

Saying something is not as bad as another in no way mitigates the problem.

This practice of having the suspects reenact the crime is highly prejudicial.

Why is there never a lawyer representing the suspects that objects to this sideshow? Are the suspects not permitted to refuse it? If so, it is just a coerced form of self-incrimination.

Is it any wonder the human rights people raise objections in so many cases?

there are pix as an evidence http://prachatai.org/english/node/4880

That's evidence? He claims "he was slapped on the face, punched on the base on the sternum and in the ribs, trampled on, and electrocuted on his thighs. He was electrocuted almost 40 times, he recounted."

I call bullshit, because this "evidence" shows more proof of not washing than any form of abuse. He should have been more clever and said he'd been waterboarded or denied sleep or something else that doesn't need to show injuries. But then, he follows up description of his "brutal abuse" (that seems to have given him about 10 pimple-size rashes over his torso and legs) with "I support and admire Sinn Féin, Martin Luther King. I don’t believe in violence." Obviously thick as two planks.