Brisbane Australia Honorary Thai Consulate Closing On March 27, 2015

That's such a shame - Bill is a good bloke and an excellent Consul! I am sorry to see him go, but perhaps he has decided to join us all over here in Thailand to enjoy his retirement. Over the 20+ years that I have known him, he was always glad to see an old friend again on the increasingly intermittent visits I made, and it was great to have a chat and hear his latest tales.

Bill Dunn was a legend.First went to him 16 years ago.He sat me down and went through the whole process that was required for me to acquire the correct visa and subsequent work permit.

I guess this another example of Government cut backs ,good luck with Sydney from what hear they are very indifferent to anyone requiring help

• Like 2

Bill was a champ. Always very helpful for my mum when she was getting tourist visas to come to Thailand. Even though she is elderly, she'd always travel to Brisbane from the Gold Coast to get her visas. Now I'll guess she'll have to post here passport to Sydney to get it. Bill was on my msn friends list for a long time until msn messenger was shut down.

I hope he has a long an happy retirement.

• Like 2

yes one of the better Consulate places to do business. I asked for a 12 months multi entry visa on good grounds and she was only to happy to give that visa. I never abuses the service and she often gave me good advise over the phone regards different issues. More than could be said for the Italian Consulate in Brisbane.Try ringing that Consulate and see how you go.

I am afraid the new Thai Consulate in Sydney will go the same way with on line bookings which is very painful for us remote people here in Cairns Townsville and for that matter Brisbane. Hard to believe they would close that Brisbane office as the fees and charges would well and truly pay for the office staff.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why he resigned ?

I would imagine that the immigration laws and entry permits to visit the Thailand are so confusing and time consuming for any Thai Consul anywhere in the world would be considering giving up the job. My experience in Perth when I applied for Thai tourist visa required me to buy ticket out of the country before the 60 day section was concluded, I then had to throw that ticket away because I wanted to extend another 30 days...what's the point of getting a 60 day + 30 day extension option tourist visa if I'm required to have a ticket out of the country after 60 days ( low cost no refund)...I don't think the immigration dept in Thailand has got a clue of how to run the show...pitty!

I would imagine that the immigration laws and entry permits to visit the Thailand are so confusing and time consuming for any Thai Consul anywhere in the world would be considering giving up the job. My experience in Perth when I applied for Thai tourist visa required me to buy ticket out of the country before the 60 day section was concluded, I then had to throw that ticket away because I wanted to extend another 30 days...what's the point of getting a 60 day + 30 day extension option tourist visa if I'm required to have a ticket out of the country after 60 days ( low cost no refund)...I don't think the immigration dept in Thailand has got a clue of how to run the show...pitty!

It's a pathetically stupid situation that you need to buy a ticket returning within the first 60 days when everyone connected in any way with Thailand knows full well that anyone can extend their stay by 30 days by paying a small fee to immigration inside the country.

I wonder how the TAT feel about this. It's like TAT want people to come to Thailand but everyone else is working to make it harder for people to come.

In my experience people tend to follow the route of least resistance which might often mean going somewhere else.

• Like 1

wow

a long way to go to Syd or Can to get papers signed

I think this is for the convenience of the Embassy staff, they clearly don't give a crap about the tourists and other travellers who might need visas.

I'll also add that a consulate does a lot more than just issue visas, this work will now be impossible in the region.

What happens when the next Thai gets arrested in or near to Brisbane and requests consular support ?

Edited by ukrules

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Brisbane Consulate was a fantastic place and Bill and the staff there really friendly and helpful. They were excellent "ambassadors' for Thailand and a credit to the country they represented.

People who went there for help/business left with a feeling that Thailand was going to be a really great place to go to.......

i just hope if there is any plan to ope a consulate there in the future, it will have the same concern for the image they project to others of Thailand as a friendly and welcoming country.

Thailand has a habit of showing distain for visitors - both tourist and business alike - they often allow bureaucracy and dictums to rule over common sense and good will at the expense of people who, in the end, they rely on for a large slice of the national income. Let's hope they haven't yet again put their foot in it!

The resignation of one "honorary" Thai consul will not break the bank !

How long ago?

I applied in January, no return ticket, no problems...but I did do it via post from Australind. Only thing I'd gripe about is that my second entry is before 3 mths from the date I applied...vs Brisbane the year before which gave me 6 months.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Brisbane Consulate was a fantastic place and Bill and the staff there really friendly and helpful. They were excellent "ambassadors' for Thailand and a credit to the country they represented.

People who went there for help/business left with a feeling that Thailand was going to be a really great place to go to.......

i just hope if there is any plan to ope a consulate there in the future, it will have the same concern for the image they project to others of Thailand as a friendly and welcoming country.

Thailand has a habit of showing distain for visitors - both tourist and business alike - they often allow bureaucracy and dictums to rule over common sense and good will at the expense of people who, in the end, they rely on for a large slice of the national income. Let's hope they haven't yet again put their foot in it!

The resignation of one "honorary" Thai consul will not break the bank !

I can't see the relevance of your comment