British male tourist commits suicide at Phuket shooting range

Lite Beer

British male tourist commits suicide at Phuket shooting range
Eakkapop Thongtub

1426929825_1.jpg

Thalang shooting range.

PHUKET: A British man shot himself to death at Thalang shooting range earlier today (March 21).

Police were called to the scene to investigate the incident involving the 21-year-old British tourist (name witheld until the family are notified).

According to staff and witnesses, the man hired an .11mm pistol and fired seven shots at the target, before requesting for more bullets.

He then turned the gun on himself and fired at point blank range, while the staff ran and called for help in a panic.

Police found the body of the shirtless man lying on the floor of his booth, still holding a gun in his right hand. He was bleeding from the head.

The taxi driver, Prasert Porasaman, 43, who picked up the British tourist from Sunwing Resort and Spa in Cherng Talay, said he heard the man arguing with someone before he got into the taxi.

“I then asked him where he wanted to go and he said ‘take me somewhere I can shoot’ so I took him to the shooting range," said Mr Prasert.

He said that the man showed no sign of stress while he was in the taxi. The driver was waiting outside the range, when he heard the staff shouting about what had happened.

Police have checked the CCTV and are currently in the process of notifying the victims’ family and British embassy.

The body of the victim was taken to Thalang Hospital.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/british-male-tourist-commits-suicide-at-phuket-shooting-range-51520.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-22

Shirtless!! What's with these people, I just read about the French jumper being shirtless as well. Can some one with psychological experience tell us/me why people experiencing problems have to undress before self harm.

OK, probably callous but ever so common amongst Farang here in Thailand.

Just a guess, it could be the temperature.

RIP fella, way to young to have life taking problems.

Ive noticed that an increasing number of young people are killing thesmelves in Thailand.

The western world has never been so affluent. Wages and salaries are very high ( except usa) and opportunities abound.

No young generation in world history has had it so good as this current one. .... born after 1985

Most Australian people born in the early eighties wouldnt know what a recession is.

Why are westerners killing themselves?

• Like 2

Ive noticed that an increasing number of young people are killing thesmelves in Thailand.

The western world has never been so affluent. Wages and salaries are very high ( except usa) and opportunities abound.

No young generation in world history has had it so good as this current one. .... born after 1985

Most Australian people born in the early eighties wouldnt know what a recession is.

Being "affluent" is not the be all and end all in life...so many people these days appear to have 'everything", but in reality of life they often have very little..see my sig.

RIP young guy.

• Like 1

Shirtless!! What's with these people, I just read about the French jumper being shirtless as well. Can some one with psychological experience tell us/me why people experiencing problems have to undress before self harm.

I agree with this,back in Australia years ago,there was a bloke up the hill from me who had a small shop,he slowly went out of buisness,blaming the big supermarkets for staying open until 10 om,anyway one day he lost it torched the shop,and ran down our street setting fire to bushes,and someone's shed,guess what when the cops got him he was shirtless,[and raving],there must be a psychological reason for it.Anyway feel sorry for the lad and the family.

Phuket:- A 21-year-old Briton turned a pistol on himself and was killed inside a shooting range in Phuket’s Thalang district Saturday afternoon, police said.
Pol Lt Kraisorn Boonprasop, an interrogator of Thalang police station, identified the man as Colven Liam.
He was shot once at his right temple with a .45mm automatic pistol. The bullet pieced through his left temple.
Kraisorn was alerted of the shooting incident at 3:45 pm at the Thalang shooting gallery.
Police took the gun powder trace from his hand and the spent shells at the scene for further investigation.
Kraisorn said police checked the footage of security cameras in the gallery and saw Liam carrying a bag and walking into the shooting range.
He then walked to a shooting corner where Navin Inparn, 36, was supervising. Liam then took off his shirt and placed it on his bag.
He emptied seven bullets loaded by Navin into a paper target. All the shots hit the target. After Navi reloaded the gun and handed it to Liam, he raised it to his temple and fired, the video footage showed.
A horrified Navin then ran for help from other officials at the range.
Navin later told police that Liam asked him to reload the gun with just three bullets. When he saw Liam raised the gun to his head, Navin was startled and tried to push it away but he could not react in time.
Prasert Pasaman, 47, a taxi driver, said he picked up Liam from a hotel on Bangthao beach in Thalang.
Prasert said Liam did not appear under tension while riding the taxi.
thaivisa-news.png.pagespeed.ce.ASDmYCLRp
-- © thaivisa.com

RIP

There is a report in Scottish newspapers of a man with the same name and from the same area going missing a couple of years ago.

Possibly had some personal or psychological problems

Depression and mental health are issues that are almost intractable and difficult to treat or help people without restricting their freedom of movement.

I feel for his family who have obviously been concerned about him before.

11mm????? What a strange Caliber for a pistol, usually associated with a rifle. That Caliber went out with the Ark.

TiT...often on news reports they refer to a .45 cal as 11mm, for whatever reason.[not much difference anyway]..when you hire a gun at the range its called a .45 cal...

Shirtless!! What's with these people, I just read about the French jumper being shirtless as well. Can some one with psychological experience tell us/me why people experiencing

problems have to undress before self harm.

Maybe this will enlightened you. Not conclusive but an interesting read.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=zGkOVZmBC4aB8gWc_4CYCA&url=http://www.jaapl.org/content/36/2/240.full.pdf&ved=0CCQQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNEA29gPbpSuhse4tfMIod2Z0Wb7-g

• Like 1

Why does it seem there's a high rate of farang suicides in Thailand ? Just in this one Thai Visa News, reports of 3 farang deaths, this death @ gun range, farang apartment jump in BBK & farang body in bay? @ Pattaya. Most days, similar reports of suicides, though today's 3 is higher than usual.

In some countries suicides are not allowed to be reported, or at least not what occurred, whereas here embargo does not occur.

Maybe someone has an answer.......................

Being shirtless seriously antagonizes locals and can get you fined with disdain at police checkpoints, of that you can be sure, so factor that into 'reported' versions of events you read.

Why does it seem there's a high rate of farang suicides in Thailand ? Just in this one Thai Visa News, reports of 3 farang deaths, this death @ gun range, farang apartment jump in BBK & farang body in bay? @ Pattaya. Most days, similar reports of suicides, though today's 3 is higher than usual.

In some countries suicides are not allowed to be reported, or at least not what occurred, whereas here embargo does not occur.

Maybe someone has an answer.......................

No answer, just the curiosity and odds against likelihood ought to be enough for you.

I worry more about the poor Thai guy who actually tried to stop him and got a dose of psychological damage because of this. coffee1.gif

He's probably on a photo, smiling at the camera and pointing at the head wound.

R.I.P. mate. Unfortunately it was only a matter of time before somebody chose this route I guess. There seem to be that many dying here that perhaps for some a quick one to the head, properly administered, would seem like the easiest quickest way out. A real shame, another wasted life.

I would like to make 2 points in response.

First, humans are generally known to be happier when they are doing better in life than others around them. Therefore when all are wealthy, yourself included, it does not add anything to your happiness. The best situation to be in in that regard for maximum happiness is when you're rich and people around you are poor.

Second, due to the rise of feminism the chances of getting an attractive female partner have greatly diminished in the West over the last 25 y. For young men it can be devastating.

• Like 1