Marriage to a Filipino

I am engaged to be married to my Filipino girlfriend.

The company I work for have told me I have to reside in either Singapore or Thailand.

Of the two, I would prefer Thailand as Singapore is too expensive.

My job should ensure I can get a residence visa ( I assume ), so if I married my Fiance in Thailand, would she automaticaly qualify ?

Outside of rent, Singapore is not that expensive & I'm sure your Filipina would prefer it there (I know mine does).

With an Employment Pass (NB not Work Permit/S Pass), she can get a Dependents Visa even if you're not married as long as you can show evidence of cohabiting.

Have you calculated the difference in take-home pay (Tax is very low in Singapore, check out http://www.iras.gov.sg) to see if the difference is really as much as you think it might be.

Edited by JB300
  • Like 2

Outside of rent, Singapore is not that expensive & I'm sure your Filipina would prefer it there (I know mine does).

With an Employment Pass (NB not Work Permit/S Pass), she can get a Dependents Visa even if you're not married as long as you can show evidence of cohabiting.

Have you calculated the difference in take-home pay (Tax is very low in Singapore, check out http://www.iras.gov.sg) to see if the difference is really as much as you think it might be.

Singapore is an option. I love to know more about the visa situation there, if yiu wouldnt mind PM ing me.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I looked into this, but here's a couple of links that may help...

- http://www.internations.org/singapore-expats/guide/16088-visa-administration/passes-and-permits-for-expat-families-in-singapore-16096

- http://therealsingapore.com/content/mom-simplifies-employment-pass-singapore

Nb the visa for your Fiancé would now be a Long Term Visitors pass which (as far as I can tell) doesn't allow her to work unless she finds a job with a work/employment pass.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Singapore is an option. I love to know more about the visa situation there, if yiu wouldnt mind PM ing me.

Singa pore is very expensive. I have not been there for years.

Dude, every single damn thing is expensive in Singapore. Just choose Thailand and you will be much happier.

It is super expensive! 12 US dollars for a McDonald Hamburger---truly the most prices are outrageous! 40 bucks for ciggs!-----18 US for a beer! why go there?smile.png

Dude, every single damn thing is expensive in Singapore. Just choose Thailand and you will be much happier.

It is super expensive! 12 US dollars for a McDonald Hamburger---truly the most prices are outrageous! 40 bucks for ciggs!-----18 US for a beer! why go there?smile.png

That's right. Besides, I don't need a nanny state to tell me what and how to think, what I am allowed to watch, what time to go to bed, etc. Oh--and never have the chance to live in a real house or drive a car, unless I'm a multimillionaire

As Braddockrd as said, it all depends on how much you earn & how much tax you pay, for me the difference in tax I was paying in Singapore vs Tax (& NI) in UK paid for the rent on my condo (& much more, the savings in not having to run a car covered everything else).

Was paying around 11% income tax there (that's it, no other tax to pay, not even tax on overseas income), don't know what the equivalent would be in Thailand...

Lol, don't know where you get your information from but it's tosh... Don't eat Macdonalds but know they're less than s$8 , don't smoke but know ciggies are around s$16 for the premium brands & you can pay anything from s$6 for a 600ml bottle of beer in a hawker centre to s$25 for a pint in a hotel bar (possibly more in places like Kudata)

Cars are f'ing ridiculously expensive but you simply don't need one there as public transport & taxis are cheap & abundant.

It really does depend on how much you earn, the higher your salary, the more money you save by living in Singapore & so the cheaper it is (I'd estimate I was paying around 1/4 of the direct income tax in Singapore vs UK, then there's 7% GST vs 20% VAT, no council tax, tv license etc...)

Edit: posted Macdonald prices (in SGD$) below

Edited by JB300

Don't seem to be able to attach an image to the above post so here it is...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1427022298.902287.jpg

Expensive and shetty taste. Even hawker centre foods are getting more expensive.

Couldn't agree more about Macdonalds, plenty of reasonably priced food options to eat that cr4p [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] Edited by JB300

This crappy food is super pricey!-------------Singapore is not for the cheap charlies--like myself

You better have around 200-300 US a day to get by---not including hotel. Rank hotels are 125.00 US a night---and they are rank!------no towels or parking.

Singapore sucks------

This crappy food is super pricey!-------------Singapore is not for the cheap charlies--like myself

You better have around 200-300 US a day to get by---not including hotel. Rank hotels are 125.00 US a night---and they are rank!------no towels or parking.

Singapore sucks------

Lol, we're talking about working there not visiting for a holiday...

Fact is if you earn £100,000 pa then in the UK you'll pay around £35,000 in tax (http://www.uktaxcalculators.co.uk/), if you earn £100,000 in Singapore, you'll pay around £10,500 tax (https://www.easycalculation.com/tax/singapore-income-tax-calculator.php)... That £24,500 (approx s$49,000) difference, more than covers annual rent on a very nice condo & a fair few nights out.

If you're earning a lot less than that or just visiting then yes it's very expensive (thats why when I stopped working there at the end of Jan, I moved to KL at the end of Feb) but the OP has a choice of where to work so again, all depends on his salary

Edited by ubonjoe

We live here for 15 years and it's way better than Singapore. There is a vibrant Filipino community here of all levels. Generally the Ruam Rudee church is a great place to start. If you live downtown (we don't) then it's easy if you don't have car and driver for her to do her social stuff.

singapore has more Filippino's but mainly maids so likely not future wife's social circles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The requirements for visas for non married cohabiting partners have recently got much harder in Singapore.

As an example British couples have no chance because Britain does not legally have a common law marriage registration. And the LTVP requirement is that

- the relationship is registered and recognised by your home authorities

- you have been living together for sufficient time (and can prove it, usually minimum 1 - 2 years)

- you are not a same-sex couple (in which case extraordinary circumstances would be required for getting an LTVP)

- you are not Asian (this is not an official rule, but seems to reflect observed realities)

So get married before you go to live in Singapore as if your partner can enter at all she will have to leave after a maximum of 3 months stay away for a minimum of 5 days and then may not get another 3 months, it could go down to as low as 3 days depending on the immigration official.

Edited by sometimewoodworker