Double Pricing - Fairprice-thailand.org

GuestHouse

I am sorry! I didn't realize it! I thought as informed by a member here that there are Japanese that POOR!

Quite a few Japanese are dirt poor and their government is doing its best to hide it,... And besides, a lot of them live a very, very miserable life by any "developped world" standard,...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Children born in the UK are given inaliable British Citizenship

Nope.

UK law requires that a parent has to have been granted permanent leave to remain in the UK (Permenant Residency) or a UK citizen if the child is to be eligable for British nationality. Simply being born on British soil means nothing. Getting PR in the UK takes 4 years of continual residence on a work permit or some sort of visa that leads to PR. As a foriegner, good luck in trying to get one of these visas unless you are highly skilled.

But I digress.

We could go on about the rights that Thailand doesn't give to to foriegners.

But we never talk about the benefits (I wont use rights) that foreigners do get here.

Off the top of my head...

Easy visa access. Would the UK/Australia/EU/US let people stay years and years on a toursit visa just so they can be in a place where they can cop an easy shag every night. No.

Would these countries allow people to do a visa run every couple of weeks and thus have defacto permanent residency. No.

Work without a work permit? Hardly.

As a farang, even in the worst jobs (English Teacher), you get paid a salary that the average Thai would drool over.

Off the top of my head...

Easy visa access. Would the UK/Australia/EU/US let people stay years and years on a toursit visa just so they can be in a place where they can cop an easy shag every night. No.

Would these countries allow people to do a visa run every couple of weeks and thus have defacto permanent residency. No.

Work without a work permit? Hardly.

As a farang, even in the worst jobs (English Teacher), you get paid a salary that the average Thai would drool over.

Don't try, Samran, it is a question of PRINCIPLES,...

You have them or you do not have them.

Farang have them, Thai do not have them.

So this is why we are here to educate them.

The point that they welcome us more than we welcome them is totally irrelevant.

PRINCIPLES of the western world, why don't the Thai understand that? Beats me,... :o

PRINCIPLES of the western world, why don't the Thai understand that? Beats me,... :o

And this is the crux of the issue, its the enlightened Western Worlds so called principals that some want to apply here.

Glass houses and all that.

Thanks for bringing out the point that you are judging the amount to offer a maid based on the nationality of the person! IS THAT TRUE? IS THE WORD "BURMA" THE KEY WORD OF THE SENTENCE?

The keyword is not Burma maid or Filipina, the point is in which country, and what kind of qualification does that foreign contract worker has...

Our Filipina housekeeper, 50 years old, who is looking for the whole house, office and residence of my boss here in Japan is doing this job since 15 years....

She knows everything... from cooking European food, to looking after supplies, when we have any exhibition or when foreign visitors are coming, she will arrange also any additional service personal for cleaning and serving, when required....will answer the phone, will wash all office floor, will make coffee.... all and everything, rather busy all time except holidays, Sundays, and free around noon on Saturday.

She has a very good large room for free with full aircon/heating/phone/sat-tv/own small kitchen, shower with hot water, in the3rd floor, big windows with balcony......this alone would be a rent of usd 1200,- per month if you pay for that in Tokyo.

She has 1 full month paid vacation - usually all July - full paid health insurance - and is receiving in cash after tax over usd 2000,-, full visa sponsorship....and summer and winterbonus each 1 month salary....

Immigration told us last summer, that this salary is too low, and this contract can be only accepted for visa sponsorship, because of the good and free provided housing. We were also astonished, but Japanese living standard is like that, and this Filipina is an employee, and not an illegal maid....

meemiathai Posted on Thu 2004-04-08, 22:39:25

I am sorry! I didn't realize it! I thought as informed by a member here that there are Japanese that POOR!

Yes, poverty is existing in Japan, too. But poverty here in Japan is mostly related to old, sick, handicapped people. Japanese people are getting old and are often helpless and alone.....Extremly low allowances after retirement, so if you do not have young people looking after you (we are 7 persons in the same house) and you are getting sick, you have no little job beside your retirement allowance or you are handicapped, your life might become miserable.....

You need your own home, or you pay extremely high rents......

and you cannot take a foreign maid in to help you....

Pension might be low as baht 20.000,- but you need 40.000,- for a very modest life here.... Medical fees, you have an obligatory insurance here, might be still a problem, as 10 to 30 percent you have to pay yourself....

I do not want to compare poor and helpless with lazyness and alcoholicians or gamblers..... some homeless here around prefer that life and reject any offer for work and accomodation in return....

Yes, Japan has also its problem with poor people -

I think, any developed country has such a problem....USA, EU and Japan is no exception....

Johann

Quite a few Japanese are dirt poor and their government is doing its best to hide it,... And besides, a lot of them live a very, very miserable life by any "developped world" standard,...

Yes, I know. But I would say even a person who begs for money in the streets of Japan for a month could enable him a few months of luxurious lifestyle in Thailand.

Excuse me! But what is an "average Thai"? How much does an "average Thai" make monthly? 20,000 baht? 30,000 baht?

:o

Not true....

In the EU (this includes UK by the way), USA, Australia

you can stay as long as you like......if you have money.....

I said money (and not baht 800.000,-)

there are enough girls there for cheap amusements, and the former Iron curtain border is now the number 1 zone of questionable night-life in the world....(you think, this is Thailand? also not true)

Visa run is not a permanent residency....far away of it....but if you really have money, you need no visa-run.

Why should they not be allowed to stay and to spend THEIR own money, if they like to do so? Many foreigners in the EU living there for life....rich Arabs, rich Russian, and so on... money is the only important point.

For Philippines you need usd 50.000,- for the permanent residence.

For Australia you need usd 500.000,- to get the same permit as above...

If you MARRY an EU-citizen and you are moving into the EU, you will get the permanent residence permit immediately. This is the cheapest way. No money required, and later on you might naturalize and receive the EU citizenship. You might buy your own home, and run your own business....

But if you marry a Thai girl, you will be always a foreigner (if you invest 10 million baht, you might stay for life, but you are still a foreigner)

Thai citizenship.... rarely given to a foreigner.....

and you might not own your home, and not run your own business without a Thai controlling you.......

There is PRO and there is CONTRA

If I really had money, I would not work in Japan and look for retirement in Thailand, believe me, my friends........

Johann

Hi meemiathai !

Yes it is ;-) !

Well I guess PPP ( Power purchase parity) is involved but my poor English writing does not allow me to develop further ( besides, it's not fun ..) .. take a look at the Big Mac index ...

But I would say even a person who begs for money in the streets of Japan for a month could enable him a few months of luxurious lifestyle in Thailand.

I do not think so....do you think, somebody will give a beggar money in Japan?

In Japan tips are unknown - it is not the way of life here. Anyway, no beggars here.

Homeless and such people are making their life out of garbage.... collecting old cartons, or can or glass, to take, what others do not need anymore.

Nobody here is going around like a beggar....Nobody here will never ask you for anything...

Such people have pride like a professional to live in and out of the garbage...

Some of them will even refuse to accept money, they do not need it. Try it out...

Johann

Yohann,

In fact I think this young (?) burmese maid is lucky.

She found a nice family to live with and will improve her English, that is why I refered to "au pair" status.

In southern Thailand, Samui for example, women often come from mainland, leaving their families, to offer thai massage on the beach, 150 - 200 TB / hour.

I said , "100 TB/ day = no future" because it seems to me impossible except on a long term to start buiding a life-project on this financial basis, maybe I'm wrong.

I do not forget, this person is an immigrant, which makes things even harder.

• 3 years later...

following was copied from msn conversation inquiring about prices for Joe Louis theatre for Ramakien puppet show....

so foreigners adult 900 children 300

thai adult 400 (or with id card real one of course) children 200

children who can sit on parent's lap free

if the height is not over 120 cms. free

if the height is more than 120 cms. pay in children rate

...well, it seems that Guesthouse's cool site that I remembered from years ago is not active anymore...but I still think we ought to keep the movement alive starting by keeping this thread alive or even starting a new thread (ideally pinned) listing and updating the double standard racist places to atleast keep them accountable that what they do IS not taken with a grain of salt... (Yes I'm Thai and American citizen, but for the love of the motherland, Thailand, such practices IS NO good in my book and still sickens me even if I can pay the Thai price!)

Note that the girl I was chatting with was an educated (Chula) travelled (USA and NZ I think among others) who works for the Joe Louis, but in her initial opinion, she felt her company was justified as 'Thai people pay tax, foreigners don't' though I assured her that foreigners get taxed in other ways already i.e. airport tax, but that was beyond the point, especially in this case where Thai children are still charged less than foreigner children--for certainly children aren't paying any taxes.

My hope is for all my Thai comrades to accept a world view, and jump out of this WWII nationalistic era, record a new version of the national anthem, tell the bus drivers and school teachers they don't have to dress like axis and allies generals, etc. etc.

Edited by greenwanderer108

This system of double pricing procedure remembers me to how prices are calculated in communist countries. Local currency cannot be used by foreigners, instead of it, obligatory money change of hard foreign currency to extrem bad exchange rates is converted into exchange coupons, which can be used to buy certain tourist related products, like souvenirs, entrance fees for exhibitions, a special tourist bus, special restaurants, booking a hotel room for the foreigner and so on......

Most öf the few remaining "communist" countries abandoned this system years ago, as they realized it was counterproductive.