Legal action threatened over photo of family-not-dumped-by-taxi

webfact

Legal action threatened over photo of family-not-dumped-by-taxi
By Coconuts Bangkok

farang_family_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- One viral photo with a misleading caption has become a national police issue resulting in a lawsuit and possible criminal penalties for the person who first shared it.

The baby-toting tourist family seen along a Bangkok highway wasn't dumped there, nor did they ask a taxi driver to drop them there after landing at Suvarnabhumi, as previously suggested, but in fact chose to exit a van they’d boarded in Sa Kaeo province themselves, Royal Thai Police announced yesterday at a news conference.

Police located van driver Boonmee Rakdaeng, 52, and brought him to the conference to confirm the story. He said he was paid THB2,000 to drive 13 tourists from the Rong Kluea Market in Sa Kaeo province to Khaosan Road on March 16, but the family in question asked him to stop at the Asoke 4 Toll Plaza.

Boonmee thought they needed to use a toilet, so he stopped the vehicle. Instead, they picked up their stuff and left the van, claiming they wanted to go to Soi Sukhumvit 71. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/24/legal-action-threatened-over-photo-family-not-dumped-taxi

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-24

Whose going to sue who? The 'alleged' taxi driver was not identified. Will the Taxi Drivers Association (if there is one) sue. Perhaps an offence has been committed under the Computer Crimes Act. Who knows, who cares?

No wonder Drummond had such a hard time if this is how the CCA is implemented. Edited by evadgib

The real truth will most likely never be heard until they speak to the actual

tourist family,seems everyone has given their version of the story but them.

regards worgeordie

And the actual family is back home in their country and are hopefully happily unaware of this big discussion among experts here on Thaivisa. Since no names has been released they will never know what hit them .

Where are the members now, who, in their wisdom and without facts, were adamant that this occurred, so much so that they howled down, criticised and denigrated others without accepting that those others had different points of view. Even when evidence came to light that the storey was a fabrication, some just would not let go nor accept that they were wrong and kept on and with their churlish chides, regardless of how foolish they continued to look.

What is it with some, just because someone has a different outlook, they apparently need to have some wise man explain to them the reasons for them being wrong. It appears that unless you think with the pack, then whatever you post is scoffed at because you dare to think differently. Now, if you do, then they will attack you and if you dare to challenge back, watch out because this is when the name calling starts, the post is rubbished, because it is meaningless and the so called expert alleges it is unintelligible, and from then on the attacks become relentless. I think some try to solicit angry responses and when unable to, the remarks passed become more intense and highly derogatory.

Maybe some of the posters, who were adamant as to the factualness of the incident and then carried on the way they did, should have a long hard look at themselves and then before coming to and posting such unproven and fallacious statements they should engage their brain before opening their mouths. Now with the police threatening legal action, it would be appropriate for a few to beware of the knock on the door. One never knows and it would be nice to see a few taught a lesson. But so be it in a day on TVF but at least I know who had the last laugh, and no I won't gloat over it. whistling.gif

Without the story of the actual tourists, your post holds no validity.

Thanks for making my day, Raining here and feeling a little miserable, then along you come and brighten my day through your satirical use of humour. You never cease to amaze.

• Like 1

regards worgeordie

And the actual family is back home in their country and are hopefully happily unaware of this big discussion among experts here on Thaivisa. Since no names has been released they will never know what hit them .

Can I ask how you know the family are now back home ? Are they friends of yours if so maybe you can ask them for their side of the story.

I have looked at that photo and maybe it's just me but I am struggling to see a toll gate.

OK I should add probably back home , do they look like expats to you? A young family went on holiday to Thailand , still unaware of this media circus.

regards worgeordie

Can I ask how you know the family are now back home ? Are they friends of yours if so maybe you can ask them for their side of the story.

I have looked at that photo and maybe it's just me but I am struggling to see a toll gate.

OK I should add probably back home , do they look like expats to you? A young family went on holiday to Thailand , still unaware of this media circus.

They came to Thailand on the 16th march. So just over a week ago. Not many people come to Thailand a weeks holiday. So probably still here.

Had been suspicious of this whole story from first post of claim by bystander "Surachai" & basis of photo, taken from side window of vehicle w/ a printing on door.

Plus, guy looks like Czech? guy who was supposedly caught begging with young blonde boy on Khao San road.

Maybe this couple are on a publicity jaunt!!

Thank you Gods of Logic:

When this article first appeared i asked " Who took the photo?"

(a) A driver eager to incriminate himself ???

(B) A driver ensuring he covered his .... ummmm .... license.

End of quiz.

Where are the members now, who, in their wisdom and without facts, were adamant that this occurred, so much so that they howled down, criticised and denigrated others without accepting that those others had different points of view. Even when evidence came to light that the storey was a fabrication, some just would not let go nor accept that they were wrong and kept on and with their churlish chides, regardless of how foolish they continued to look.

What is it with some, just because someone has a different outlook, they apparently need to have some wise man explain to them the reasons for them being wrong. It appears that unless you think with the pack, then whatever you post is scoffed at because you dare to think differently. Now, if you do, then they will attack you and if you dare to challenge back, watch out because this is when the name calling starts, the post is rubbished, because it is meaningless and the so called expert alleges it is unintelligible, and from then on the attacks become relentless. I think some try to solicit angry responses and when unable to, the remarks passed become more intense and highly derogatory.

Maybe some of the posters, who were adamant as to the factualness of the incident and then carried on the way they did, should have a long hard look at themselves and then before coming to and posting such unproven and fallacious statements they should engage their brain before opening their mouths. Now with the police threatening legal action, it would be appropriate for a few to beware of the knock on the door. One never knows and it would be nice to see a few taught a lesson. But so be it in a day on TVF but at least I know who had the last laugh, and no I won't gloat over it.

Wait a minute. Wait just a darn minute!!

This story was originally on the internet. In fact it was on Facebook!! Are you saying that a story on Facebook on the internet wasn't true? Shirley, you jest!

I see Mr Surachai of Facebook/internet fame has deleted all this. That should work equally well.

I don't know about all you skeptics out there or whether or not you live in Bangkok ... but for sure, I was kicked out of a taxi on the expressway, with my bag, because I refused to pay when the driver renegotiated the price and wanted 600 baht to take me from Don Muang to lower Sukhumvit. This was in 2007, on my third trip to Bangkok. I can't believe it hasn't happened to anyone else.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Like 2

This is the driver's side of the story, who is understandably terrified about

losing face and criminal action. Would be nice to get the side of the family,

hard to believe that they would ask be dumped out in the middle of the tollway..

Not only on the tollway, but hey, they are tourists, they wouldn't know where Soi Sukhumvit 71 is so why would they just abandon the van... this is another "story" that doesn't hold true. We have yet to see and video, and we know there are cameras...

Why do the Media release these stories as fact. There are at least a dozen a week that are nonsense with a different story the next day

Still ,long may it continue , it gives us old soaks something to rant about

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 1

Maybe some of the posters, who were adamant as to the factualness of the incident and then carried on the way they did, should have a long hard look at themselves and then before coming to and posting such unproven and fallacious statements they should engage their brain before opening their mouths. Now with the police threatening legal action, it would be appropriate for a few to beware of the knock on the door. One never knows and it would be nice to see a few taught a lesson. But so be it in a day on TVF but at least I know who had the last laugh, and no I won't gloat over it. whistling.gif

actually it does if anything more so

to avoid charges of defamation you need to prove what you publish is factual.

if the only evidence that the story was factual and the family were dumped by a taxi (despite a van driver having said they were in his van) is the testimony of the family and they choose not not to say anything then the story has to be considered false.

in short-:

no proof that it happened then it is just a rumour

can thaivisa or that coconut be sued for spreading lies with monitary gains as goal ?

yes.

although I would guess TVF's lawyers would argue that they were just reprinting another source and would no reason to know that a "reputable" news outlet like coconuts was printing anything but the truth

Who in their right mind gets dropped off on a toll way?

Even if its at a booth.

assuming anyone has a "right mind" is a gross error of judgement on your part

Edited by outboard
  • Like 1

I don't know about all you skeptics out there or whether or not you live in Bangkok ... but for sure, I was kicked out of a taxi on the expressway, with my bag, because I refused to pay when the driver renegotiated the price and wanted 600 baht to take me from Don Muang to lower Sukhumvit. This was in 2007, on my third trip to Bangkok. I can't believe it hasn't happened to anyone else.

It has happened to me! Because the driver and tour guide did not want to make the u-turn to take me to my hotel, ( from where they picked me up) and then get back on the highway ..too much traffic, end of the tour day ...they told me to get out and cross the 6 lane highway on foot and walk the rest of the way to my hotel. When I complained, they told me they would take the whole van full of people back first, and I could get out somewhere else along they way if I wanted, but they were not "going to waste their time"

I was really furious and refused to pay the hotel for that tour ...luckily I had charged it to my room.

actually it does if anything more so

to avoid charges of defamation you need to prove what you publish is factual.

if the only evidence that the story was factual and the family were dumped by a taxi (despite a van driver having said they were in his van) is the testimony of the family and they choose not not to say anything then the story has to be considered false.

in short-:

no proof that it happened then it is just a rumour

can thaivisa or that coconut be sued for spreading lies with monitary gains as goal ?

yes.

although I would guess TVF's lawyers would argue that they were just reprinting another source and would no reason to know that a "reputable" news outlet like coconuts was printing anything but the truth

Who in their right mind gets dropped off on a toll way?

Even if its at a booth.

assuming anyone has a "right mind" is a gross error of judgement on your part

I'm assuming you got out the wrong side of the bed.

Cheer up sunshine.

• Like 1

...surely they did not ride for free

...someone should ascertain how much they were charged

...the driver seemed to know where they wanted to go

...for some reason he decided to go on the expressway

...they could have had limited time...or limited money...and they were quite laden with a child and a guitar...

...so because humanity does not agree that they should have been let off on the expressway...they should be charged and prosecuted...???

...taxi...van...taxi-van....mini-bus......whatever....

...this never should have happened...

• Like 1

Had been suspicious of this whole story from first post of claim by bystander "Surachai" & basis of photo, taken from side window of vehicle w/ a printing on door.

Plus, guy looks like Czech? guy who was supposedly caught begging with young blonde boy on Khao San road.

Maybe this couple are on a publicity jaunt!!

I was under the impression that the OP version was backed up by the B*****k P**t, which TV members are not supposed to read, because we are supposed to rely on the Nation or Coconuts or Stickboy....for our "news".