Legal action threatened over photo of family-not-dumped-by-taxi

webfact

I don't know about all you skeptics out there or whether or not you live in Bangkok ... but for sure, I was kicked out of a taxi on the expressway, with my bag, because I refused to pay when the driver renegotiated the price and wanted 600 baht to take me from Don Muang to lower Sukhumvit. This was in 2007, on my third trip to Bangkok. I can't believe it hasn't happened to anyone else.

...just today....the driver refused to drive me to the footbridge...so he could get a customer easier...

...so I would have to take a motor taxi on top...15-20 baht...and very inconvenient...

...I was not riding for free...and he still got 10 baht on 140 fare...

...call the police...he said go ahead...the doors were locked...

...I had some place to be...and...his word against mine....

...like my Thai wife said to me early on, "I promise you, they will always believe me...never believe you'..

..so that has to be factored into everything we read about here on TV as well....to ignore that would be a disservice to all non-Thais.....

• Like 2

...surely they did not ride for free

...someone should ascertain how much they were charged

...the driver seemed to know where they wanted to go

...for some reason he decided to go on the expressway

...they could have had limited time...or limited money...and they were quite laden with a child and a guitar...

...so because humanity does not agree that they should have been let off on the expressway...they should be charged and prosecuted...???

...taxi...van...taxi-van....mini-bus......whatever....

...this never should have happened...

Your so right, you just inserted two words to many. This never (deleted/deleted) happened. Was that a typo on your behalf?

So despite no proof to sustain the allegation, and remember the headlines, "ALLEGEDLY DUMPED"; allegedly being the operative word; there being no complaint from the alleged victims; a hearsay storey on Face Book, which gave rise to the rumour, you still believe that there is sufficient evidence, to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, that the storey is factual? If you believe so then I would like to see you outline what the evidence is. It might make interesting reading?

• Like 1

can thaivisa or that coconut be sued for spreading lies with monitary gains as goal ?

yes.

although I would guess TVF's lawyers would argue that they were just reprinting another source and would no reason to know that a "reputable" news outlet like coconuts was printing anything but the truth

Quite right, and I'm sure that is exactly what TVF would do.

It's futile, though. Under Thai law (and pretty well all defamation laws, everywhere), repeating the defamation is EXACTLY the same as uttering it first. Just yesterday, the court sentenced the quite well-known TV host Woody to a year (suspended) because he repeated a defamatory statement. He did indeed try on the "I'm a journalist and I was only repeating" and the judge nearly fell over and hurt himself quite seriously, he was laughing so hard.

That said, Thaivisa and all other jackal/vulture media aren't going to be sued or even intimidated over this particular case.

Prawut Thawornsiri, police spokesman, said he will track down the person who shared the photo on Facebook because it affected the image of the country

Mmmm,,,,,,,,, image of the country not wanting to be seen to treat tourists badly !

Well for the three hundreth time, what about the daily ongoing 20year old outrageous blatant scam of tourists on the beaches of Pattaya and Phuket involving Jet skis.

Why doesnt someone take some facebook pictures of that and see if anything happens.

Edited by sapson
  • Like 1

Where are the members now, who, in their wisdom and without facts, were adamant that this occurred, so much so that they howled down, criticised and denigrated others without accepting that those others had different points of view. Even when evidence came to light that the storey was a fabrication, some just would not let go nor accept that they were wrong and kept on and with their churlish chides, regardless of how foolish they continued to look.

What is it with some, just because someone has a different outlook, they apparently need to have some wise man explain to them the reasons for them being wrong. It appears that unless you think with the pack, then whatever you post is scoffed at because you dare to think differently. Now, if you do, then they will attack you and if you dare to challenge back, watch out because this is when the name calling starts, the post is rubbished, because it is meaningless and the so called expert alleges it is unintelligible, and from then on the attacks become relentless. I think some try to solicit angry responses and when unable to, the remarks passed become more intense and highly derogatory.

Maybe some of the posters, who were adamant as to the factualness of the incident and then carried on the way they did, should have a long hard look at themselves and then before coming to and posting such unproven and fallacious statements they should engage their brain before opening their mouths. Now with the police threatening legal action, it would be appropriate for a few to beware of the knock on the door. One never knows and it would be nice to see a few taught a lesson. But so be it in a day on TVF but at least I know who had the last laugh, and no I won't gloat over it. whistling.gif

"Where are the members now, who, in their wisdom and without facts ..."

If you start looking for facts in the normal Thai bashing posts here, you will be sorely disappointed. For some people it's a full-time occupation criticizing anyone and anything Thai and for the majority of them the absence of facts or knowledge of what actually happened is positively no obstacle to their bashing. Farang good, Thai bad ... it's as simple as that.

• Like 2

This is the 4th version of the story, that I am reading.

They were dumped...they left the van on a toilet break...they demanded to get off...

This time, they deceived the driver into thinking, they wanted a break and then walked off, just like that!

What is it, guys?

Oh, I see...here we have a van-driver, who is telling it, like it is!

Yep...never heard of a better witness!

The Thai'er-than-Thai-fraction is having a field day, but excuse me for still not buying the story!

This has written FACE SAVING all over it!

This is the driver's side of the story, who is understandably terrified about

losing face and criminal action. Would be nice to get the side of the family,

hard to believe that they would ask be dumped out in the middle of the tollway..

the "alleged" driver

Whose going to sue who? The 'alleged' taxi driver was not identified. Will the Taxi Drivers Association (if there is one) sue. Perhaps an offence has been committed under the Computer Crimes Act. Who knows, who cares?

Read the story again as there was NO taxi driver. That is the fabricated part of the computer crime.

• Like 1

hard to believe that they would ask be dumped out in the middle of the tollway..

Not only on the tollway, but hey, they are tourists, they wouldn't know where Soi Sukhumvit 71 is so why would they just abandon the van... this is another "story" that doesn't hold true. We have yet to see and video, and we know there are cameras...

The article I read says that they had a map.

Where are the members now, who, in their wisdom and without facts, were adamant that this occurred, so much so that they howled down, criticised and denigrated others without accepting that those others had different points of view. Even when evidence came to light that the storey was a fabrication, some just would not let go nor accept that they were wrong and kept on and with their churlish chides, regardless of how foolish they continued to look.

What is it with some, just because someone has a different outlook, they apparently need to have some wise man explain to them the reasons for them being wrong. It appears that unless you think with the pack, then whatever you post is scoffed at because you dare to think differently. Now, if you do, then they will attack you and if you dare to challenge back, watch out because this is when the name calling starts, the post is rubbished, because it is meaningless and the so called expert alleges it is unintelligible, and from then on the attacks become relentless. I think some try to solicit angry responses and when unable to, the remarks passed become more intense and highly derogatory.

Maybe some of the posters, who were adamant as to the factualness of the incident and then carried on the way they did, should have a long hard look at themselves and then before coming to and posting such unproven and fallacious statements they should engage their brain before opening their mouths. Now with the police threatening legal action, it would be appropriate for a few to beware of the knock on the door. One never knows and it would be nice to see a few taught a lesson. But so be it in a day on TVF but at least I know who had the last laugh, and no I won't gloat over it. whistling.gif

"Where are the members now, who, in their wisdom and without facts ..."

If you start looking for facts in the normal Thai bashing posts here, you will be sorely disappointed. For some people it's a full-time occupation criticizing anyone and anything Thai and for the majority of them the absence of facts or knowledge of what actually happened is positively no obstacle to their bashing. Farang good, Thai bad ... it's as simple as that.

You're preaching to the converted. I fully understand how they operate, but the lead in was directed to a couple who, despite my listing of a number of questions that needed to be answered in order to confirm or refute the allegations, felt that I had no idea of what I was on about A know all, no nothing even suggested that what I had written was unintelligible and made no sense, as he said of some other posts. In the end it got very derogatory when it was suggested that I may have a certain disability, and later it got to the point where I may have been suffering from mental problems.

Having no idea of my background, which was 30 years in law enforcement, here he was trying to explain to me why I was wrong and my need to accept his view because, according to him, it was he who was right. He even responded to this post, as not having any validity unless the alleged victims were interviewed So yes, I have had first hand experience but I just put it down to another daily experience on TVF. Certainly don't lose any sleep over it.

• Like 1

The person who posted the story on facebook got the picture and the story from the policeman at the scene, who never bothered to ask the folks what they were doing there. Why not threaten him with legal action?

Whose going to sue who? The 'alleged' taxi driver was not identified. Will the Taxi Drivers Association (if there is one) sue. Perhaps an offence has been committed under the Computer Crimes Act. Who knows, who cares?

Read the story again as there was NO taxi driver. That is the fabricated part of the computer crime.

Yes I can get that part. There is no taxi driver. It is a van driver. Now believing the van driver is telling the truth where is the toll booth and the toilets they were dropped off at ?

Or is this not the family that were dropped off ? Maybe the whole thing is a wind up.

• Like 1

Whilst i agree with you,the original TVF story was very misleading.TVF seem to have a lot of these "bait racist,bigot farang"type stories that always turn out wrong.TVF should have a good look at it's news sources,maybe go back to the old ways which seem to be more truthful.Maybe TVF promote these stories to get more clicks and revenue.

Why do the Media release these stories as fact. There are at least a dozen a week that are nonsense with a different story the next day

Still ,long may it continue , it gives us old soaks something to rant about

Why does TVF release these dubious stories,because it sucks in a certain type of poster and that's all money.

can thaivisa or that coconut be sued for spreading lies with monitary gains as goal ?

yes.

although I would guess TVF's lawyers would argue that they were just reprinting another source and would no reason to know that a "reputable" news outlet like coconuts was printing anything but the truth

It's futile, though. Under Thai law (and pretty well all defamation laws, everywhere), repeating the defamation is EXACTLY the same as uttering it first. Just yesterday, the court sentenced the quite well-known TV host Woody to a year (suspended) because he repeated a defamatory statement. He did indeed try on the "I'm a journalist and I was only repeating" and the judge nearly fell over and hurt himself quite seriously, he was laughing so hard.

That said, Thaivisa and all other jackal/vulture media aren't going to be sued or even intimidated over this particular case.

Too true,when they started getting"news"from Coco and then Stickboy there was only one way for standards to go.This is our version of News of the World and the rest of Murdochs rags.

Yes I can get that part. There is no taxi driver. It is a van driver. Now believing the van driver is telling the truth where is the toll booth and the toilets they were dropped off at ?

Or is this not the family that were dropped off ? Maybe the whole thing is a wind up.

Now you are getting the hang of TV Bert.

I don't know about all you skeptics out there or whether or not you live in Bangkok ... but for sure, I was kicked out of a taxi on the expressway, with my bag, because I refused to pay when the driver renegotiated the price and wanted 600 baht to take me from Don Muang to lower Sukhumvit. This was in 2007, on my third trip to Bangkok. I can't believe it hasn't happened to anyone else.

It has happened to me! Because the driver and tour guide did not want to make the u-turn to take me to my hotel, ( from where they picked me up) and then get back on the highway ..too much traffic, end of the tour day ...they told me to get out and cross the 6 lane highway on foot and walk the rest of the way to my hotel. When I complained, they told me they would take the whole van full of people back first, and I could get out somewhere else along they way if I wanted, but they were not "going to waste their time"

I was really furious and refused to pay the hotel for that tour ...luckily I had charged it to my room.

sounds normal, they treat you like shit then expect you to pay to be treated like shit but oh myyyyyy when you complain about being treated like shit they cry like babies or cut your arms n legs off.

Too many like that in Thailand

• Like 1

Guess it's the family whose privacy might have been violated by publishing a photo of them on Facebook.

Edited by micmichd

Please be so kind to read my post #130 on this threat:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/810531-foreign-tourists-allegedly-dumped-on-tollway-by-thai-taxi/page-6

My story was not in the news so I am still waiting for police to act. Unfortunately that will never happen just as in so many other cases.

OK, bye bye, sorry to disturb. You can go back to bed now and dream away.

Quoting John Locke:

"It is one thing to show a man he is in error, and another to put him in possession of the truth."

It's difficult for the truth to get through when an ego is blocking the way.

• Like 1

the yellow car looks lkke a taxi to me. the taxi would not be stopped there if a van was letting people off.

i read somewhere earlier that a highway cop took the pic and did not get the taxis plate or number.

something does not add up. proof here is in the pudding. no family gets out on the sode of the freeway. i have been there, its far to dangerous, esp with a toddler in tow.

• Like 1

Every body needs to calm down,if it was the cop who took the snap then he didn't do his job properly. If the family aren't traceable who do we believe? I am a little sceptical about the explanation but really don't know! Put the crystal balls away & lets hope they're found eh.

yes.

Unless the 'allegedly' (keyword that excuses all kinds of accusations) guilty driver was identified publicly, there is no harm, no foul. Until today's OP stated the driver's name, AFIK, had not been published and in a story that does give the driver's name, it also gives the driver's side of the story. I can't see that anyone has a case against any news outlets. The photo in the original OP show a small family on the side of the toll-way and not at a toll booth or near an exit and their belonging are on the ground as if they weren't going anywhere. If they were dropped off at the toll-booth, allegedly to use the restroom (I highly doubt that the driver stopped as there are no facilities for customers at the toll-booth), how/why did they get to the side of the tollway not near any exit or booth and their stuff is on the ground? As for people commenting without all the facts, they were commenting on the facts that they had. No one ever has ALL the facts. Regards.

p.s. I still think the driver is lying.