Foreign Tourists Allegedly Dumped on Tollway by Thai Taxi

Lite Beer

And just how true is this story considering the source - can you just imagine a farang guy with wife and child in tow accepting a polite request (probably in Thai) to vacate a taxi on a motorway - yeah right something that happens everyday in Thailand.

TV members are only posting about what the OP says, besides, nothing about Bangkok taxi drivers is surprising.

I generally have pretty good luck with Taxi's, but I don't mess with them if they don't want to go to a certain destination. I just get another one. A number of years ago, however, my elderly parents were visiting and we took a taxi to a popular tourist destination. About 1/2 way there the traffic was bad and the taxi driver just told us to 'get out' as he decided he didn't want to go there. It was a rather unpleasant experience.

Recently, I had one that 'decided' he had a low tire and didn't want to take me to my destination after we were enroute. He was a lot nicer, however, as he flagged down another taxi for me and didn't charge me for the distance that we had gone.

Leaving anyone on the expressway is pretty unforgivable, but parents with a child and luggage should result in legal prosecution.

In 2002, I caught a cab in Bangkok to take me to Bang Bua Thong in Nontaburi Privince. I had made that trip many times before and it is about 24 km. I always tip 200 Baht for that far out. Well, this one driver began complaining that we were going too far and eventually, about 2 km short of my destination, he pulled over to the side of the road and said he wasn't going farther. I told him, in no uncertain terms, that he WOULD take me the rest of the way or he would get no pay at all (I didn't relish walking 2 km late at night). We had a two-minute stand-off, glaring at each other, before he grudgingly finished the trip. I tipped him as if he hadn't been an ass. A contract is a contract and he knew the distance before he agreed. I write it off to laziness. Don't mess with Texas!

Have I got this right? Did you actually tip him????

In Chiang Rai, we've had tuk tuks for a long time, but just recently got meter-taxis. The owners are from out of town - C.Mai, so they don't know the terrain up here in a friendlier locale. A meter taxi dropped two visiting backpackers off at my place. He wanted to charge more than the meter for two reasons: they had backpacks (luggage) and another surcharge for 'going in to a different district.' I'm only 3 km from downtown. The backpackers, trying to be nice, gave him some extra cash, but not as much as he was demanding.

Later in the day, I spoke with a Thai friend of mine who drives for the new taxi company, and who speaks fluent English. I asked him about the fare. With much smiling, he tried to explain how driving in to another district changes the fare on the meter, and other such stuff. I told him that's not possible, because the meters are calibrated to account for distance and for time, depending on the traffic conditions. After awhile, he realized his charm offensive wasn't changing the mechanics of taxi meters, so he finally just conceded the taxi driver (who tried ripping off the backpackers) was an a$$hole, and we parted in agreement.

Time to drop the hammer! Suspension of license is not good enough. A taxi driver with such a personality is not fit to provide a public service. Cancel his taxi license.

I don't think cancelling a license (do they even have special taxi licenses?) would make any difference. At the least, he could just mosey over to a competitor, and keep driving

And just how true is this story considering the source - can you just imagine a farang guy with wife and child in tow accepting a polite request (probably in Thai) to vacate a taxi on a motorway - yeah right something that happens everyday in Thailand.

Does this picture answer your question??attachicon.giftollway.jpg

NO this picture raises more questions than it answers.

Why are they in front of the taxi, why is the taxi still there.

Is it not possible that the family insulted the taxi driver and he told them to get out ??? Just saying, a picture i not proof of anything.

I would have dragged the little c##t out of his taxi,shoved him in the boot and drove to the nearest canal,no way would i accept being left on a busy tollway with a woman and kid!!!!

only in your dreams as keyboard hard man you would whistling.gif

BKK taxi drivers carry guns, meat cleavers and even Samurai swords sometimes wink.png

you beat the s**t out of him before he can get to the boot of his filthy stinking tin can!

and what about his pals? Bangkoks roads are full of taxi drivers, also, if the phone system is the same as in the UK, all the taxis from that company in the vicinity will hear on their radio. "emergency at---------".

I cant believe some posters in this thread would actually choose violence towards the driver as an acceptable means. Sad really sad.png

For some on the Internet violence is the solution to just about everything.

Behind the keyboard is the ideal place to be a lean mean steely eyed dealer of death!

True, but there are some advantages to morbid obesity if you can get all that fat moving in the direction of your opponent. This guy wouldnt be much good in the ring where his opposition could dance around him, but up close he would be a nightmare. TV and YT warriors all see themselves as muscled-up MMA fighters, but the reality is that they arent the only people who can hurt you in a bar situation. Skip to the one minute mark for a glimpse of what this guy could do to a leaner, more athletic opponent, albeit in an environment where neither is supposed to be trying to kick the other in the pills. 'Big Mountain', indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufq_BaiRYoY

On the topic at hand, if the initial report is accurate this is heinous. The taxi driver has put this family in a potentially life-threatening situation in a city where they have no idea how to get to their destination - pathetic. Hopefully karma will catch up to our taxi driver friend sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

It's not unheard of for a hired driver to fall asleep at the wheel. A story about that in last week's Thailand news. I read another chronicle, happened about 1.5 years ago, or a van going from one airport to the other. 4 backpackers inside. The driver kept nodding off. The backpackers would wake him up and ask to be let out. Driver would say, no, not possible ('mai dai' one of the most oft-heard expressions in Thailand). Luckily, there were no injuries.

Perhaps something similar happened in the OP taxi story.

NO this picture raises more questions than it answers.

Why are they in front of the taxi, why is the taxi still there.

Is it not possible that the family insulted the taxi driver and he told them to get out ??? Just saying, a picture i not proof of anything.

For crying out loud!!

The taxi in the picture is another taxi, hailed by a cop to get the family off the Tollway!!

No it doesn't - how / why did the guy and family leave the cab --- an armed threat of violence or did they do it from the goodness of their heart.

Would be interesting to hear the story from the passengers of the in's and out's

Anyone who has lived in Bangkok for an extended amount of time will know.

From experience, The driver takes the fare, after a little drive around he realizes he doesn't know where he's going, starts asking moto's the way, then starts calling his mates. By now he's starting to lose face, he asks you to get take another taxi, you refuse and explain to him in Thai that no you won't be as he took the fare in the first place. He refuses to move, then you realize that this idiots lack of knowledge are costing you money as the meter ticks away. Sometimes they do start getting aggressive but by then the wife knows there is nothing to do so she pays the meter.

Happened to me on numerous occasions including the morning of my wedding day on the way to bang rak,

Anything could have happened to those customers. Although nothing will change, this guy should be made an example of - attempted manslaughter and negligence.

The driver takes the fare???? I always though that happened at the end of the journey.

Always write down taxi info and driver name when getting into a Thai taxi. Then you have the ammo to file a complaint. Stick the info in hour pocket and hopefully you won't need it but better to be armed.

Some of the cab drivers are real dimwabs but some are just great and try their hardest to talk to you in your language---in my case English.

Yes, when you are getting into the taxi, give the driver your destination, take out your piece of paper and pen, start jotting down the taxi info and drivers name.

What do you think the drivers attitude is going to be like then?

@"Neeranam"

Me

Still does not justify what this piece of crap did.

{Assuming the story is true, that is}

You

Throwing around insults like that based on assumptions is wrong. Look for the facts. ven then passing judgement is not what the wise ones do.

Me

Based upon available information, the taxi driver who acts in this manner is scum.

Edited by Bluespunk

""We are taking this seriously and investigating it," said the official, who asked not to be named. "If the taxi driver indeed left the passengers behind, it certainly constitutes a wrongdoing, because the driver did not take the passengers to the destination."

Problem 1: The copper says he and his will take this seriously, but does not want to be named. Sounds to me like a liar and a coward.

Problem 2: "If the taxi driver indeed left the passengers behind..." equates to, "We have to locate him and hear his sad sad story and all the legitimate excuses so as to make sure that this poor, lowly, Thai man is not misunderstood by us, the media, the people and the world. We are the HUB of compassion when it comes to understanding our people's legitimate actions and foreigner's complain."

Eventual results: Nil. You stupid foreigners. Nothing happened. You simply do not understand the process.

That is exactly how I feel about that.

Time to drop the hammer! Suspension of license is not good enough. A taxi driver with such a personality is not fit to provide a public service. Cancel his taxi license.

Something like that is called discipline in most other countries. It is a concept the Thai authorities know little about. There must be consequences for ones actions, less we have anarchy, and social breakdown. Or a society run by man children. Never let this guy drive again. He can get a roti stand, make iced tea, or clean toilets for a living. But not drive. It would send a message to thousands of man children. Oh my God, there are actually consequences for my actions? You mean I can get in trouble for doing something really stupid? What a concept? Ever since I was a child I was told I was special, and I could do anything to anyone, without any penalties. Now, I have to actually pay a price for my actions?

• Like 1

I am sure there is more to this story although in an argument with a bangkok driver a few years ago who refused to start the meter, he did stop in the middle of a very busy road and try to order me, my wife and two young kids to get out so it does happen but no way in hell I was going to get out and endanger my kids so I ordered him in English to put the meter on, shut up and drive us to our destination. My wife then repeated it in Thai in an even more angry voice and added that if he did that, we wouldn't report him as not being the licensed driver. At which point his tone changed immediately and he did as asked. Upon arrival he could suddenly speak English and was very apologetic.

Funny thing is. I was in Bangkok again last few days, took 5 taxis, no problem with any, but none of the 5 drivers bore any resemblance whatsoever to the licensed driver. Too lazy to even make a fake license with their picture.

Personally I nearly have same experience to be thrown out of the taxi half way of the road.

The taxi driver insisted to use the expressway and ask me to pay for the toll fee. I requested him to use the normal road instead but he refused and then he shouted at me and ask me to get down the taxi if he cannot use the expressway road.

No choice, I paid him 50 bahts for use of the expressway. When reached the airport he asked for extra 50 bahts above the meter reading price.

Looks like low budget tourists. Many foreigners argue with the driver over 50 Bt. Very cheap and foolish. I had 2 bad experiences with taxis between Pattaya and the airport, both times when my Issan wife was with me. Of course the wife does not want me to get into a fight, especially on the way to a flight overseas. On top of that the looney may have a knife. Some are on speed and can be very irrational.

How does the guy who posted this picture know the details? Did he talk to the cabbie who left? It smells

Not sure what the true story is, but this story was on channel 8 Thai TV news this morning. I saw it through the window, but I was busy outside and didn't hear what the newscasters were saying, but both the presenters were discussing it at length and showing this photo.

Look at them. Backpacks, dressed in rags, is that a guitar?, baby rucksack. Obviously they are wealthy Farangs who should pay what ever extortionate fare demanded of them.

Myself, have had pretty good luck with taxis from the airport. Sometimes they take off witjout starting meter or demand 500. Then I request to alight on the flyover. Turned on meter every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by arunsakda

Not Surprised, we have asked the Taxi Driver to pull over, because his driving, we have had a driver talking to himself and tell my wife to shut up, because she thought he was asking her a question and since the new law we have been turned down just from Paradise Mall to Aomayi. We will start taking numbers after the other day hearing they will fine the drivers for turning a Fare down!

Trip to BKK last week - airfare 3,500 baht return. Taxis to from Rawai - 1,800 baht. They're ALL a thousand outward trip as they know you must catch your flight, but the 800 baht back because you can take your sweet time. Bloody island. What happened to the promised 'call centre' then? Very possibly they looked at what happened to the last one around ten years ago. 'Meter' taxis would take you the 'pretty route' and charge on top anyway. Who was to stop them? Who is to stop them now? dry.png

I make no apologies for going off topic on this 6 page and counting littany of complaint by those who don't know they're born. As you werecoffee1.gif

I can do better. I usually ask for the meter taxi from HKT into Patong. Trip in January was 990 baht. This past trip I took the AoT car - 800 baht and the bugger stops off at a travel agency. The woman approaching saw my scowl and retreated quickly. My trip was topped off by a speeding driver and a broken seatbelt that I could not use. Something is very very wrong when I take my VIP express bus from BKK to Hua Hin, 4 hour ride, for 305 baht, or get from DMK to my friends condo in silom for under 250 baht

Edited by geriatrickid

The foreign tourist probably said the amount first in Thai and English Or The two parties have agreed to term of the cost for the fare. For some reason due to distractions from cell fone, talking or not paying attention, resulted in the missing of the exit.

Now, the driver left with a few choices in his head. 1)If i like the passenger(s) i will take a sacrafice lost and take them to the destination like promised. 2) I don't like the passenger(s) , i.e smelly, rude, obnoxious or whatever, Now, I just drop them off and they can walk back to the exit, the car can not reverse back to the exit. Once they had been walking back toward the exit, there are buses to take them along that route for much less bahts. Which in this case, it seems to the driver that the passenger is poor. 3) If in Vietnam, the taxi driver wouldn't drop them off but take them to the destination and then ask for more money during the trip by cursing and doing all kind of psychological expressions to let the passenger knows that "you better hand over some more money because i am pissed" for wasting more gas and time because missing an exit was not the his/driver's fault.

Case solved, next!!

Who took the photo?

The article said a traffic policeman did. Also it stated, he flagged down a taxi to pick them up, which is probably the yellow vehicle you see in the photo and they are picking up their gear to load into the cab.

Here's Tywais post which appeared earlier in the thread. It appears that a policeman took the photo and helped them out.

having to change taxis under the most inconvenient circumstances is something I have tried in basically every country I have travelled... sometimes its in heavy rain, when the taxi stops and asks for more money to continue and sometimes when they just don't like you... driving a taxi is stressful, even in most modern countries, with surveillance, monitoring, panic buttons, procedures for dealing with situations, etc...

everyone here knows the risk of taking a taxi, and it is something we calculate in the balance of convenience versus cost and (in)convenience of arranging private transport.

these are backpackers, they crave and thus deserve to have these experiences, which without, their backpacking story would just be another boring travel epos of a small family traveling to thailand on holiday.

Especially when they have a young child, yeh right?