Flash Floods cause chaos around Pattaya

webfact

The flooding was horrible in Pattaya and, guess what, this was NOT a heavy, prolonged rain. Yes it rained hard at times but only for a couple hours at most. We get all day heavy rains in America on a regular basis and we don't have this ridiculous flooding. As I have said before, it's a real shame that the huge, huge money being spent on that one ill-thought tunnel is not being spent to do a number of much needed road projects that have a much higher priority than the tunnel. When the roads can't handle a little rain like we had yesterday imagine how the tunnel will flood with a hard rain. And, yes, it will flood, no question about that with Pattaya's very poor engineering and construction. Just look at Beach Road. My worry is that it will flood so much drivers will be trapped and drown. When you have a major road--Sukhumvit--that looks like a wide river after a little rain, you have big problems.

Some of the best posts I have seen in a long time on TV.....serious Irony, sarcasm and stoic stiff upper lips....love it.

As for the tunnel....even the Thais know it is a disaster waiting to happen. But the clowns who are building it won't lose face and just admit they should never even have thought about it never mind started building it.

I noticed that the newly re-surfaced section of road that leads down to Jomtien beach Police Station has had all the drains concreted over. The road level raised to just below shop house door step height in atticipation of more rain.

Witless 3rd world engineering can and will Kill.

Every year it floods, every year it's news.

When they put drain pipes of a size to cope then maybe ???? we will NOT have flooding. On top of that when they stop the sand from the side roads going into the main roads and blocking the drains then again might solve the problem. No point cleaning the drains and then letting tons of sand and earth block them up again. Try putting pavements with kerbs to stop the problem. Oh sorry that takes someone with brains to sort that out. Can't wait for the underpass on Sukumvit to be finished think I will buy a boat and sell the car for that fiasco

If you need to avoid the regular chaos of flooding in Pattaya, all you need to do is tell the time correctly.

Just count up to 10 minutes after the rain starts, and after that amount of time the flood chaos will ensue.

That is when you need to remove yourself, and your mode of transport from the streets to prevent any damage to either.

The scary part about this isn't the water.. it's the snakes and centipedes that come on the streets and houses to avoid the water.

I saw a russel's viper on Soi Bukhao after the rain.. scary as one bite and it'll hurt for 5-6 years assuming it's not lethal.

Can't wait to see what happens during the construction, never mind after the construction of that new tunnel/underpass. That has to be a mess. During construction the darn thing could get destroyed, all the equipment, wiring, machinery, etc completely submerged? After construction, I can see cars stuck, massive traffic tie up, even people drowning down there.

Bit of moisture in BKK as well.

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 3.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

Much cheaper and much more practical to have one of these in this country than a Rollergiggle.gif

When the new tunnel is finished one of these might be needed...

And I thought the only James Bond movie filmed in Thailand was the Man with the Golden Gun. Now I see it was also the Spy who Loved Me.