PM Prayut warns media to toe the line or face 'consequences'

webfact

I'm all for freedom of speech but I wouldn't let my 5 year old say whatever she wants without consequences!

Just because you're 55 and a reporter for the press doesn't mean you have learned to weigh your words any better than my 5 year old and equally importantly..... that there should not be (negative) consequences for any inappropriate use of your "freedom of speech"!!

Too many in the press don't want to report just the truth... they want to create scandal and sensation and they couch their reportage in whatever manner they please to do so! Good on the PM for warning them! It's better than shutting them down with no warning at all!

I'm all for freedom of speech but ...

reading attentively after the "but, ..." it would seem that you are not really "all for freedom of speech" after all. wink.png

Although he often says the wrong thing, it is quite obvious that he did not mean that he would literally 'execute' people. " Prayut said: "Perhaps execution. What kind of careless question is that? " .................................................................... dry.png

Unfortunately it is his natural manner of talking, and not being pc.

He claims to be a statesman and wants to speak on the world stage. He is a leader of a country and the very best that Thailand could come up with, he stumbles and constantly makes Thailand a laughing stock. The world is laughing and wetting thier pants at the most qualified and honoured leader that Thailand can produce. Personally I think they should look to an educated man and not a soldier.

Did PM Prayut claim to be a statesman? Did Thailand come up with him? Is Thailand a laughing stock?

The world is wetting their pants and they should look to an educated man? Probably first buy a big pamper and before seeking medical attention ?

If Thailand didn't come up with him then where is he from?

Yes Thailand is a laughing stock because of him.

How has the Thais lives changed for the better since he came to power by machine gun?

Yes, he's Thai, but I'm being told even just now that Thailand didn't come up with him, but he came to power by machine gun rolleyes.gif

As for your question on 'how many Thai lives changed for the better' let's have a poll on that smile.png

I'm all for freedom of speech but I wouldn't let my 5 year old say whatever she wants without consequences!

Just because you're 55 and a reporter for the press doesn't mean you have learned to weigh your words any better than my 5 year old and equally importantly..... that there should not be (negative) consequences for any inappropriate use of your "freedom of speech"!!

Too many in the press don't want to report just the truth... they want to create scandal and sensation and they couch their reportage in whatever manner they please to do so! Good on the PM for warning them! It's better than shutting them down with no warning at all!

reading attentively after the "but, ..." it would seem that you are not really "all for freedom of speech" after all. wink.png

I'm all for freedom of speech, but would like to exclude 'hate speech', 'lies', 'deliberate insinuations to provoke violence', etc., etc.

I guess to you it will seem I'm not really 'all for freedom of speech'.

Now where you stand on this I don't now

" He warned that he might be forced to invoke his special powers to deal with media which bent on biased reporting in a way which may cause political conflict."

Is this the same artical he suggested " EXECUTION" to the journalists.

one would think by now he might have learnt not to joke or was itwhistling.gif

" He warned that he might be forced to invoke his special powers to deal with media which bent on biased reporting in a way which may cause political conflict."

From the Sydney Morning Herald.

Prayuth Chan-o-cha, the Junta leader who removed Thailand's elected government at gunpoint, has lashed out at journalists, saying he would "execute" them if they didn't tell the truth.

This has been headline news in all UK media outlets. Thailand is being painted in the same light as Saudi Arabia in terms of repression.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/leader-of-thai-junta-threatens-to-execute-journalists-who-do-not-tell-the-truth-10133003.html

The damage this does to Thailands reputation is immeasurable. So sad.

• Like 1

This has been headline news in all UK media outlets. Thailand is being painted in the same light as Saudi Arabia in terms of repression.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/leader-of-thai-junta-threatens-to-execute-journalists-who-do-not-tell-the-truth-10133003.html

The damage this does to Thailands reputation is immeasurable. So sad.

The comparison is yours, my dear tully, not from the news site.

"You don't have to support the government, but you should report the truth," he added. Instead, he urged journalists to write in a way that encourages national reconciliation in the deeply divided nation."

probably my fault, but I don't remember having read something even close to this in relation to Saudi Arabia.

The damage 'this' does to Thailands reputation is immeasurable. So sad.

Edited by rubl

In another thread, the Good Mr. General was criticicing a Channel 3 reporter for exposing Thailands dirty linen in the fishing industry. I wonder if such pressure was also seen in hiding the truth behind the double murder case at Koh Tao. I wouldn't be surprised having seen how his mind works.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but would like to exclude 'hate speech', 'lies', 'deliberate insinuations to provoke violence', etc., etc.

I guess to you it will seem I'm not really 'all for freedom of speech'.

Now where you stand on this I don't now

What you are saying is that your 5 year old daughter is in need of re-education - sounds familiar, but can't quite remember where I heard it before

From the Sydney Morning Herald.

Prayuth Chan-o-cha, the Junta leader who removed Thailand's elected government at gunpoint, has lashed out at journalists, saying he would "execute" them if they didn't tell the truth.

will he execute them if they do tell the truth?