low flying aircraft over Jomtien

alocacoc

U-Tapao Airport, west of Ban Chang is used for airplane maintenance and pilot training a lot and there are civilian and military flights from it. Many planes circling, making touchdowns, arriving and leaving. If they leave in a north west direction they won't be very high near Jomtien yet.

• Like 1

I heard from a friend who works at Utapao that there's a new flight from there to Bangkok. He said 500B and only takes a few minutes. I saw a big plane flying low over us the other day. Maybe due to the direction of the wind???

• Like 1

All aircraft 'fly low' on approach to land, departure and often during a missed approach, so nothing unusual there. Depending on which type of aircraft was seen, it could have been on an instrument calibration flight or photographic flight. Eye witness non pilot statements are notoriously unreliable especially in judging altitude and engine noise, even direction. Apparent low flying aircraft are a fact of life. Logical.

Looks like it had a problem landing at Don Mung and diverted to U-Tapao.

There was one mighty storm at that time at Swampy. Maybe a diversion

Yes, you're right.

6 Planes got diverted to U-Tapao (which also included AIQ3115) because of heavy rain and storm in Swampy.

I found confirmations on Thai News sites;

http://m.naewna.com/view/breakingnews/150967

http://news.sanook.com/1769753/

http://www.innnews.co.th/shownews/show?newscode=607765

Edited by alocacoc

The OP posted a link to Flightradar this is real time radar information and the information is only held for a short time.

What I recall was the flight in question doing two or more loops round Don Mung, as if in a holding pattern, on hind sight it is most unusual to hold over the airport they intend to land at so possibly it was due to land at Swampy.

Lot of other planes at the same time doing holds all over the place so the weather is probable the reason.

OK from other sources, the plane HS-ABJ flying Hat Yai to Don Mung made two missed approaches to Don Mung then turned west before turning SSE and climbing to 10,000ft, lost contact over the Gulf and assume it had started it's decent U-Tapio well before passing over Jomtien.

• 4 weeks later...

I flew over Pattaya City bay and Suvarnabhumi last December, when flying Thai Lion Air from Hat Yai to Udon. A spectacular sight, to say the least, but not that low.

w9zmdFbl.jpg

ChrtXaUl.jpg

Edited by MarcelV
  • Like 2