BBC decides not to renew Jeremy Clarkson's contract

Lite Beer

Hmm, I wonder who the BBC is going to replace Jeremy with on Top Gear, Piers Morgan?

Nothing like firing the top character on the BBC's top show worldwide...

Stephen Fry apparently

The gay bi polar drama queen always threatening to do himself in, should be a hoot, especially as I believe he knows f all about cars,

I doubt if his driving ability would enable him to tackle their circuit @ Dunsfold airdrome!

Hmm, I wonder who the BBC is going to replace Jeremy with on Top Gear, Piers Morgan?

Nothing like firing the top character on the BBC's top show worldwide...

Stephen Fry apparently

The gay bi polar drama queen always threatening to do himself in, should be a hoot, especially as I believe he knows f all about cars,

I doubt if his driving ability would enable him to tackle their circuit @ Dunsfold airdrome!

He's already driven it.

You might find that it was in his contract that he was entitled to a hot meal at the end of the day and it was the producers responsibilty to ensure that it should have been there.

I have not seen the contract so I cannot say for sure but it certainly would not be unusual neither would overnight accommodation when and if required.

He'd have got that hot meal had he not decided to go out drinking instead, and not return to the hotel until after the kitchen was closed.

Exactly. He had a table booked in the hotel restaurant for 8-30 PM, he decided to go on the p**s until 10-30, keeping a helicopter waiting on standby for this time which can't have been cheap, all at taxpayers expense, turned up more than 2 hours late for his reservation to find that unsurprisingly chef had gone home. Then launches into his 20 minute tirade at his junior colleague, including the immortal line, "i'll have your job for this, you will be sacked on Monday", followed by a 30 second physical assault on said junior colleague who was probably half his size, which required hospital treatment. And still somehow there are yobbo supporters of Clarkson who refuse to accept that he is anything other than a victim, and are sending death threats to the junior producer. To the best of my knowledge Clarkson has yet to condemn those issuing these threats. He is a nasty, spiteful bully who has rightfully received his comeuppance.

The hotel was some 70 odd miles from the filming location so they needed helicopter...

They kept the helicopter waiting two hours while in the pub, how much did that cost the BBC? was that the nearest hotel of acceptable standard? next time the BBC asks parliament for more money maybe time for our MP's looked at the BBC's extravagant spending in detail.

You might find that it was in his contract that he was entitled to a hot meal at the end of the day and it was the producers responsibilty to ensure that it should have been there.

I have not seen the contract so I cannot say for sure but it certainly would not be unusual neither would overnight accommodation when and if required.

He'd have got that hot meal had he not decided to go out drinking instead, and not return to the hotel until after the kitchen was closed.

Exactly. He had a table booked in the hotel restaurant for 8-30 PM, he decided to go on the p**s until 10-30, keeping a helicopter waiting on standby for this time which can't have been cheap, all at taxpayers expense, turned up more than 2 hours late for his reservation to find that unsurprisingly chef had gone home. Then launches into his 20 minute tirade at his junior colleague, including the immortal line, "i'll have your job for this, you will be sacked on Monday", followed by a 30 second physical assault on said junior colleague who was probably half his size, which required hospital treatment. And still somehow there are yobbo supporters of Clarkson who refuse to accept that he is anything other than a victim, and are sending death threats to the junior producer. To the best of my knowledge Clarkson has yet to condemn those issuing these threats. He is a nasty, spiteful bully who has rightfully received his comeuppance.

The hotel was some 70 odd miles from the filming location so they needed helicopter...

They kept the helicopter waiting two hours while in the pub, how much did that cost the BBC? was that the nearest hotel of acceptable standard? next time the BBC asks parliament for more money maybe time for our MP's looked at the BBC's extravagant spending in detail.

Ah so now it's the BBCs fault! I'm sure that was the only hotel of an acceptable standard to someone with Clarkson's sense of entitlement. The point is, the helicopter was kept waiting for 2 hours at taxpayers expense because Clarkson wanted to go drinking instead of honouring his table reservation. But of course this is the fault of the BBC! Anything to excuse Clarkson's yobbish behaviour eh!

• Like 1

a lot of normal people would be more than happy if their bosses gave them a coldplater while working!

an office or tv set still the same basic rules of respect shold apply.

coffee1.gif you try it next time at the office coffee machine

Ah so now it's the BBCs fault! I'm sure that was the only hotel of an acceptable standard to someone with Clarkson's sense of entitlement. The point is, the helicopter was kept waiting for 2 hours at taxpayers expense because Clarkson wanted to go drinking instead of honouring his table reservation. But of course this is the fault of the BBC! Anything to excuse Clarkson's yobbish behaviour eh!

I had not intended it that way, but yes...

Obviously this highlights issues where money is being wasted, I wonder who submitted the expense claim for those drinks in the pub?

As I understand it is the producers responsibility for staying in within budget, and obviously with the BBC I expect money not to be wasted or spent foolishly even if the program does make a profit.

If the BBC was a private company that I held shares in I would be asking for the chairman's resignation.

Obviously this highlights issues where money is being wasted, I wonder who submitted the expense claim for those drinks in the pub?

As I understand it is the producers responsibility for staying in within budget, and obviously with the BBC I expect money not to be wasted or spent foolishly even if the program does make a profit.

If the BBC was a private company that I held shares in I would be asking for the chairman's resignation.

Only if you kept it quiet and paid the victim to shut up.

With the amount of money they have tucked away maybe they should start their own production company and produce Top Gear 2 themselves - then sell the episodes to the highest bidder on the open market.

Top Gear Too would be even better smile.png

<snip>

The idea that Clarkson will now go to a commercial channel and be a roaring success with his same format is nonsense. Does anybody seriously believe that he would have got away with slagging off perfectly competent cars in the name of 'comedy', or his ongoing casual racism on a commercial channel? Advertisers would have pulled the rug from under his career years ago. The BBC is a public service broadcaster which doesn't have to tip their cap to outside commercial interests. The truth is Clarkson needed the BBC far more than they needed him.

If that is the case, perhaps you can explain why most car manufacturers were all so keen to have their cars on Top Gear?

So keen that even Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari had, before this all happened, agreed to let Top gear stage a race between their hybrid super cars; even though the programme had slammed models from each of those companies in the past.

Simple; 350 million viewers world wide.

Not that I am excusing a physical assault on a co worker.

• Like 1

<snip>

He had a table booked in the hotel restaurant for 8-30 PM, he decided to go on the p**s until 10-30, keeping a helicopter waiting on standby for this time which can't have been cheap, all at taxpayers expense

Taxpayers expense?

Yes, HMG, and therefore the taxpayer, do fund parts of the World Service, but the main BBC is funded by the licence fee payers. Granted, you could call that a form of tax.

However, Top Gear is sold around the world and makes a huge profit for the BBC.

Profits which help keep the licence fee down.

• Like 2

He should get a show in the US and allowed to be himself.

He could be the latest in the line of Brits that Americans love to hate, like that Spice Girls guy from American Idol, or that nasty woman with the game show, or Piers Morgan.

Good ratings in that.

In his first program he can test drive a Ford F-150 (probably the most popular pickup truck in the country) and declare it rubbish. The response to that would make headlines!

• Like 1

given the facts the bbc had no choice.

Very telling that the same sanctions were not applied to Jonathan Ross or Russell Brand.

There again all they did was ring up an elderly man, and boast, live on air and in front of a studio audience, about shagging his granddaughter.

Very telling how?

As it stands, Clarkson punched the guy because he had not lined up hot food for the evening meal. Is that OK?

Try asking people who have worked behind the scenes in TV about some of the behaviour that comes forth from the Stars or the execs and the shit they get put through.

Just because someone is a 'talent' are we supposed to excuse their behaviour?

Umm, no, I didn't say it was OK if Clarkson punched his producer, nor did I suggest that "talent" should excuse behaviour. I did observe that there seems to me to be a distinct difference in the BBCs approach to Clarksons behaviour as compared to that taken as regards Ross and Brand, and I wondered why.
  • Like 1

Very telling that the same sanctions were not applied to Jonathan Ross or Russell Brand.

There again all they did was ring up an elderly man, and boast, live on air and in front of a studio audience, about shagging his granddaughter.

The show in question was neither live or in front of an audience. It was pre-recorded at an earlier date and approved for broadcast by the BBC - the controller of Radio 2 later resigned in acknowledgement of this decision. Brand also resigned, and Ross was suspended without pay for three months.

Considering they never actually punched anyone, the response seems appropriate.

• Like 2

Worth mentioning that Sky knew all about Keys and Gray's "blokey" behaviour but kept it quiet until Andy Gray sued Murdoch over phone hacking.

Most of their Sky colleagues thought they were repulsive chavs.

(And I got that first hand from their Sky Sports colleagues who were glad to see the back of them!).

<snip>

He had a table booked in the hotel restaurant for 8-30 PM, he decided to go on the p**s until 10-30, keeping a helicopter waiting on standby for this time which can't have been cheap, all at taxpayers expense

Taxpayers expense?

Yes, HMG, and therefore the taxpayer, do fund parts of the World Service, but the main BBC is funded by the licence fee payers. Granted, you could call that a form of tax.

However, Top Gear is sold around the world and makes a huge profit for the BBC.

Profits which help keep the licence fee down.

I'd like to see if you shared the same opinion if one of your more productive colleagues smacked you in the mouth.

I very much doubt it.

Get over it, he got what he has deserved for a long time.

You would look less foolish had you bothered to read my post immediately above the one you have quoted

Not that I am excusing a physical assault on a co worker.

Very telling how?

As it stands, Clarkson punched the guy because he had not lined up hot food for the evening meal. Is that OK?

Try asking people who have worked behind the scenes in TV about some of the behaviour that comes forth from the Stars or the execs and the shit they get put through.

Just because someone is a 'talent' are we supposed to excuse their behaviour?

Umm, no, I didn't say it was OK if Clarkson punched his producer, nor did I suggest that "talent" should excuse behaviour. I did observe that there seems to me to be a distinct difference in the BBCs approach to Clarksons behaviour as compared to that taken as regards Ross and Brand, and I wondered why.

Sorry JAG, I only intended to quote your post about the very telling part, the rest of it wasn't a reply to your post, just to the world in general.

Also as far as I can tell, and I didn't follow the story far, Brand and Ross were both suspended for some time, and its been said by The BBC that just because they are not renewing Clarkson's contract, they don't rule out future work together, which is technically a suspension.

I was just wondering what you meant by very telling, but I think we've worked it out now

• Like 1

Hospitality is normal practice for many UK television shows,

Food, drinks and accommodation along with catered show parties, breakfasts.

Managers get a hospitality budget which they have almost complete authority over and were expected to spend each month.

I was often (at least once a week) taken to eat at the Ramada, Claridge's and other famous London Venues along with more normal restaurants after shows.

Not to mention chauffeured cars home when the shows ran late.

Did I mention double and triple shifts at up to 10x your normal overtime rates (not often but sometimes).

Once I was lent to BBC Scotland for a year, (from BBC Television Centre) apartment in Glasgow, return air tickets to London (or for my gf to visit Glasgow) every weekend, food, laundry all paid for on top of my normal salary.

That was a few years back though, before I retired, can't imagine it changing.

The more important you were, the more money they spent on keeping you happy.

Clarkson would have been treated like a king.

• Like 1

It's a good thing that John Ford, Errol Flynn, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Richard Harris, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, and a couple of hundred other classic directors, stars, and writers for Hollywood never worked for the BBC. They would have all had their contracts cancelled. What bunch of limp noodles today's media is.

Fine - if you think some people should be places above the law and allowed to verbally and physically assault anybody they choose, based on connections, status or wealth.

Clarkson may or may not be talented but he's a racist bully who has finally gone too far.

How many people can punch and abuse a colleague and expect to keep their job?

• Like 2