OBSERVATIONS: My Thai Fiancee's First 15 Days In USA.

MauiSteveBKK

Lucky you are in Hawaii as the weather is much the same , asians are not given a 2nd glance and its pretty easy slower life ,

if you were from small town USA then I do not think the story would be as happy.

if you are out of town you may want to have someone else teach her to drive so she is not stuck at home all the time :)

Good luck , keep posting

My Thai wife has been living with me in New York for 10 years now. She has adapted 100% and has found many Thai friends. She goes shopping for food in Chinatown almost every day, but she still walks to the wrong side of the car.

• Like 1

Hope it all works out. Sounds like a sensible relationship in terms of age and occupation. Probably are quite similar apart from culture. I was gonna say sounds like you haven't spent much time in Thailand but but probably better before you become cynical and distrustful. Those stances for the bad types and useful a survival tool in circles I run in but certainly not to paint a population of women with. Good luck

Since you're 61 years-old, you probably don't have to worry. I had just turned 30, married a Japanese girl from a "upper-middle class" family in Japan. Took her to the states, (CA,) and had 3 adorable, wonderful, great kids. She met an older Japanese lady and after 16 years of marriage she decided she wanted to "sow her wild oats" again. She became American-ized in all the worst ways imaginable! With her lawyer's expertise, she ended-up with everything! - The kids, (they're all over 18 now but won't talk to me,) the house, the car, and all my money for the rest of my life! - Just sayin, would be different if I was starting out at 61 and she was 49. You probably won't have the same situation at all. Best Wishes to both of you smile.png

You turned her gay?

I don't see how this relates to a Thai woman moving to the US, but...good news. Starting out in LOS at 61, you get to upgrade. 49? That's older than my girl's mother and I'm older than you. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Thanks Folks!

One Last Thing: She sometimes is a bit "defensive" of Thailand.

She'll say something like: "Well, Thailand has the same as that." (or) "Thailand's is better."

At first, I was arguing back some with her. And would say: "Are you Crazy? In Thailand it's horrible". (something like that)

Now ... I just nod and say "whatever".

Smart man.

I just look away now and say nothing.

Best of luck to the OP, the time will come when his Thai mrs tells the locals (in Thailand) in farangland its better becoz.........

My mrs couldnt believe there were actually farang cleaning the streets and working on building sites, never mind farang beggars

• Like 1

So happy to read this story because I have been married more than 24 years to wonderful lady from Viang Khuk which is 12 kilometers miles east from Tha Bo following the Mekong River.

People in that area are so nice and I like to ride a bicycle to Tha Bo and back because there is LotusTesco too.

Good luck!

Thanks Folks!

She'll say something like: "Well, Thailand has the same as that." (or) "Thailand's is better."

At first, I was arguing back some with her. And would say: "Are you Crazy? In Thailand it's horrible". (something like that)

It is kind of hard to respond to blind nationalism. When there is something to back it up, fine. But, when it is just blind blabber, no need to reply. Glad she is liking her time there. Most Thai people are generally not too cosmopolitan, so it is a really good thing to expose her to the world.

Thanks Folks!

I'd start agreeing with her a bit more if you want to keep + Intimacy just as good, if not better, than Thailand. rolleyes.gif

I took my ex-wife to Monte Carlo, 5 star hotel, before bringing her to America. Oh did she love Monte Carlo.

3.5 weeks after bringing her back to my Detroit studio apartment, no A/C, $200 in food stamps, a bicycle for transportation, 476 birds living in my toilet, and a late-night jazz club below me, she built a rocket ship and went back to Issan.

Hawaii is America like a puddle in my backyard is the Indian Ocean.

• Like 1

Thanks Folks!

Glad to know things have been working out so well for you two. I hope the rest of the story - marriage, visa, green card... all go smoothly.

That was a good tip about not knocking Thai ways - I did that a lot when living in L.O.S. and it never did any good.

I am in Phoenix right now - taking care of things at the VA and the bank - and plan to go back to Thailand and marry and make the app. for K-3 visa for my darling. So I want to ask you if you would care to share anything about your experiences in going through the visa application process. Any tips, any short-cuts you learned? Use a legal service or do it all yourselves?

Specifically - if you don/t mind sharing - what made you decide to go with the K-1 and not get married first and apply for the K-3?

Hawaii sounds like a possible alternative place for me and my love, a 1/2-way place, for transitioning from Asia society to American. Maybe less of a culture shock for a Thai woman. Change from a farang to being a haoli.

Good luck to you and the missus - choke dii krap.

Thanks To Each Of You!

I'll Fill-In-A-Few-Blanks.

+ I've lived with her in BKK for about 180 days, over 5 visits.

+ She INSISTED on a marriage Pre-Nup agreement. She owns a BKK condo, gold and a big stock portfolio. She does not need or want what I have. Nor do I want what she has.

+ We met on-line. I was looking for a "Currency Exchange" person for my distribution business. She did not like me at first.

+ She has no interest in bringing any family to Maui.

+ Maui is NOT expensive. If you know how and where to live.

+ I did the "25 year old GF thing". Got tired of that. I don't want children.

+ Patricia does not have children.

My son had her work 15 hours in his business to help him and paid her the standard $13.50 an hour in cash. She is not going anywhere soon.

Best to each of you always!!

I agree. If she was a SET day trader, successful, has assets, she isn't looking for a Sugar Daddy. You got the real deal. Congrats. And Hawaii isn't 'American'. Hawaii is Hawaii and the transition will be a whole lot easier for her than if you lived in some place like Boston, Seattle, Atlanta, Fargo, or even North Hollywood. As long as you can afford the cost of living there, then the best of luck.

I brought a girl to me in the USA...and it was a nightmare...sounds as though you have someone who is open to what the world has to offer....good luck to you and your wife...you hit the jackpot...

what city were you in and was there a beach nearby?

Great to hear.

Keep in mind, though, that you are going through the honeymoon phase of the move. Around 3 months from now, things will start to get difficult. That's when the real relationship test comes. My wife and I got through it, but it was quite difficult.

Try to get her busy with things. Get her involved with groups...get her a good schedule going. It took my wife a while to get the courage to do things by herself, but you do need that to be functioning, happy adults.

Long story short for us, we moved back to Thailand a year and a half later (mutual decision).

And Keep her away from Thai Groups always ENVY... Talk too much, What you have, you don't have BS

" professional day trader (SET) and currency trader."

" She constantly walks to the "wrong side" of our car."

Glad she doesn't do my trade.

Has nothing to do with intelligence. In the US the steering wheel is on the left and they drive on the right. I have been here for twelve years and still occasionally find myself walking to the wrong side of the car. Old habits are hard to break.