International Departure - Restaurant Food Prices

cigar7

Simple answer; deposit several million baht in CIMB, the bank in Thailand, and they will give you several vouchers anually to use the THAI lounge before you fly. Last time I did i had so many curry puffs and whiskies that I shunned all the airline food and arrived at my destination quite sick.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be prepared to pay more at any airport, especially western chains. Everyone knows that...

If you want cheap, but good, food; go to a local mom 'n pop restaurant. If you are pressed for time and have to eat in an airport, too bad.

Airports are always expensive, you can't go anywhere else and the rents are high.

But by now even in normal Burger King shops in Thailand the prices are about 10% above those in western Europe!

A friend of mine went to a KFC in Samui, and they were charging 50 baht more for a chicken sandwich, than any other location in Thailand. He asked the manager what is up with this? The manager said "tourists". Imagine that?

Yes but the prices in Swampy are vastly different than what you see generally around Thailand for the same item.... so it appears so stark. I look at them as I walk to the Biz lounge and have my beer and sandwich there. I figure I save overall!!!

After you make your first international flight, you should know.

Its the same everywhere. If you still dont know this, wake and stop crying.

But it isn't always, you need to travel more.

They have specials at some of the UK airport bars and people like to have a few when going on holiday.

In Thailand it seems so stark since food is so cheap elsewhere.

In China, there seem to be two variables. The exorbitantly priced 'ripoffs' seem to depend on what airport and the store/restaurant within an airport. I've seen the price of a can of beer vary by a factor of 4 at two different stores within 20 meters of each other. It really pays to 'shop around'.

Burger King would have to pay me to eat one of their pathetic efforts. A big mac combo in Oz is $12 standard. A coffee and muffin for two at the local airport in Oz set me back 20US! Airport food is an expensive misery pretty well everywhere. Actually I think swampy has the best options of any airport I have used.

what can you do at burger king ??? never been

Always more expensive at an airport with a captive clientele !

Almost always true but there are exceptions; in the Philippines, for example, snack prices in the captive areas are generally reasonable - assuming you can stomach Filipino fast food.

The Thai Government should regulate the airport prices as they do elsewhere in Bangkok. When I was charged 500 Baht last week at Don Muang for a Whopper and 1 fish burger, I was very hungry, not all travelers can afford those prices. Thailand image will improve a long way by simply selling with a normal price without any abuse. I suspect some mafia activity behind those prices.

Addis Ababa and Manila have decent prices.

If you can afford a plane ticket

Most people can afford to buy an overpriced meal

If not just go hungry

Apparently you have never bought food in the Toronto air port.

I have bought food many times at Toronto pearson airport. I'm usually there 7am-10am, so I go to Tim Horton's.

• 2 weeks later...

If your flight leaves after 20h go to the Novotel international buffet starting at 18h, super quality for 999B net + drinks.

I don't fancy chicken with rice or rice with chicken on a 10h flight after taking of....

The Royal Orchid lounges are not worth the free stay I get flying biz, except for a good shower after a hot day of domesic travel to reach swampy.

The last thing I want leaving LOS is to have food at the Magic food court in the basement whistling.gif

Edited by tartempion

• 2 weeks later...

If my kid wants something i can't afford I just tell him no.

I know what you mean but I give mine some treats, that's why I work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As do I, but I'm not whining about it, you are.

I don't think the the prices at BKK are that bad.

100 Baht for a travel-day treat for the kid just does not seem like that much in the scheme of things.

Theres a few Family Marts on the departure level before passport control that sell everything at normal price. Steer you kids here and they can get whatever at normal price. Go airside with a big bag of sweets.

But not bottles of pop!! All get confiscated.

Either drink them or don't buy them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk