Living the (genuinely) high life in BKK ...

MrWorldwide

just because some earn over 650,000 a month baht dosnt mean they have to spent it,

its not all about a pissing contest to live here,

yes im one of them who grows lentils in Nakhon Nowhere,well infact it was ploughing and planting corn today, but thats what i chose to do, not because i have to do

thumbsup.gif

You shouldnt look at it in terms of income but rather in terms of wealth.

USD 5 million is enough for a semi-highlife, 10 million is more than enough for highlife.

By highlife, I mean that penthouse with river view, Ferrari, 24/7 maid etc.

and 250k a year is enough to maintain that highlife if you have wealth of 10 million. After buying the ferrari,r8 or whatever., you're set to go.

The more wealth you have, the less you will spend I'm not kidding.

You will hangout with hi-so's and get access to private jets, boats etc free of charge.

You'll be going to nightclubs without spending a dime on some days, as the costs will be covered by your hi-so buddy.

I know cause my cousin is a football player, I was the one who came up with the term "baller" in this forum.

He makes over 1.5 million euros a year, doesnt spend more than 300k, yet he goes on trips with his friends private jet etc etc.

Edited by Lukecan

Living like a Baller.. the only person i know who is living anything close to a baller here is a friend of mine who is a trust fund baby. Bastard does not have to work. He is 35 and so he says gets USD25K per month and spends it all on cars, booze, partying and girls. Going off his Condo/Penthouse and cars he is balling as you say.

I can only dream.. work too hard to spend anything. The only balling I do is bawling when I look at my back account at the end of the month to see even though I have done nothing I have still managed to spend everything.

This definitely isnt a thread for Pattaya minimalists or folk growing their own lentils in Nakhon Nowhere.

cheesy.gif clap2.gif wai2.gif

Quality!

I wonder why the OP lives in Pattaya, I mean to recall he moved there from Bangkok, if it are ALL minimalists here?

Maybe just another dreamer, living in a 2500 Baht/month room?

• Like 1

A non-Thai, with that kind of money and life-style, in my opinion would find a better playground/environment than Bangkok.

Actually I would be curious to know if there is any seriously rich non-Thai who chose to have his (her) main residence in Thailand ?

Edited by JohnnyJazz
  • Like 2

just because some earn over 650,000 a month baht dosnt mean they have to spent it,

yes im one of them who grows lentils in Nakhon Nowhere,well infact it was ploughing and planting corn today, but thats what i chose to do, not because i have to do

Do you make your own soup?

I know a pub in Scotland that needs soup....to complement the pies and excellent beer.

• Like 1

play ball, baller.

if you have baller cash its not worth it to live in bkk long term. plenty of better places to go.

some loser uk guy was trying to be a baller near nana in a pizza place buy buying free beers. and grabbing some birds arse while we were trying to eat. he thought he was a rich baller.

boy was he a loser. could not play ball.

Edited by fey

if you have baller cash its not worth it to live in bkk long term. plenty of better places to go.

All depends what you want in life and your circumstances.

For me all that is missing in Bangkok is a truly wonderful park....and a great beach.

The beach is close enough for me. :)

I posted what my Wife earnt in another thread, it was mocked by the head tosser on tv, its not in this league but the whole thread will get ripped to shreds soon.

As Jake says some people earn a lot and really dont spend it, some like the thrill of making money but zero interest in spending it

the richest people I have met have been very very low key and Im talking 10's of millions of $ but I do know a kid from school who is in the billion dollar bracket He wasnt a nice person when I knew him and I dont think hes changed

This definitely isnt a thread for Pattaya minimalists or folk growing their own lentils in Nakhon Nowhere.

Quality!

I wonder why the OP lives in Pattaya, I mean to recall he moved there from Bangkok, if it are ALL minimalists here?

You can get rooms for 1500 baht in the govt built Nong Chareon condo close to Seacon square Srinakarin road.

Cockroaches as big as mice.............my Wife used to live there.

Quality!

Lets get this straight, once and for all:

- I stated very clearly what I spend in Pattaya, and what I pay in rent, in the OP.

- I lived in BKK for 3 months in 2010, went back to Oz and retired in Pattaya in 2014

- there are TVers in Pattaya who spend more in a night than you spend in a month - deal with it

- Dreamer ? Sure. Did you happen to read the part about 'this is a fantasy thread' ?

- if you've read this as any kind of bitterness you are completely off track - my only comment is that for ~440K USD a year some might prefer a different city

My friend, I'm forbidden from launching a personal attack on you here, but your post looks an awful lot like one to me in a thread that should have been nothing more than a harmless bit of fun. I honestly dont know what is wrong with you, but you seem to have a problem in pretty much every thread you've posted in - feel free to keep the personal attacks coming, but this thread was simply asking the question 'What does it really cost to live the high life in BKK ?'. There are enough threads about how to live in Thailand on 10K a month - this was an attempt to explore what it might be like for those who dont have the same constraints but clearly it was a miserable failure if this is the best you can offer.

• Like 1

are your balls any bigger from this post? have a word with yourself

Again, its a fantasy thread - I dont need to have a word with myself. I know what I can spend and it has absolutely nothing to do with the usual cost of living threads here, which are inevitably a race to the bottom. Did you spend your entire working life dreaming of the day when you could retire in Thailand ? I did from somewhere around the age of 40 and it took me 15 years to achieve that - I'm dreadfully sorry if that makes my balls somehow smaller in your opinion but I guess that's a cross I'll have to bear.

• Like 1

A non-Thai, with that kind of money and life-style, in my opinion would find a better playground/environment than Bangkok.

Agree 100%, but its not a conundrum I've ever been faced with - simply responding to the somewhat dated idea that 675K a month would buy you that kind of life. A large part of my fantasy scenario rested on the cost of luxury sports cars in Thailand, and I think most of us would agree that the duty levied on those vehicles is even more insane than in most parts of the world. Still, if you're hellbent on making an impression on impressionable women ..... ;)

Not sure you're onboard with the whole 'baller' concept. Technically, it means 'extremely good, impressive or excellent', but its the same old alpha male you and I grew up with. I regard Warren Buffet as 'extremely good', but is he a baller ? He reportedly lives a very modest lifestyle and has done for most of his life - without an outward display of his wealth he probably isnt considered a 'baller'. In a post-Apocalyptic world, he probably wouldn't be and farmers like yourself may well be 'extremely impressive', but right now it seems to be all about bling and the illusion of having all that you desire : that's a powerful aphrodisiac for some. In another culture, we might have been talking the number of camels you own and the size of your tent - in BKK in 2015 I think its a little more mundane than that. I'm not passing judgement on any of it - people spend their money as they see fit and there is no shortage of playboys from Auckland to Anchorage : this thread just happens to be about a single city in Thailand.

I also agree that it isnt a pissing contest to live here, but if someone is prepared to throw out a figure for what it costs to live the high life in Bangkok in 2015 I'm prepared to challenge that - even based on my miniscule understanding of those costs - but it was all meant to be in the spirit of escapism and apparently that's a concept that doesnt appeal to the hard-as-nails brigade here, so I'll leave it there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the entertaining read Mr Ww.

If I werein the position to throw 6xx k away each month at life I wouldn't do

It in the fashion you so describe, mainly because I have no

Desire to go drinking nor chase local tail in Bangkok, so I guess my waY if doing things would be different and I wouldn't fall into the 'baller' category. For example, whilst I find the Audi R8 (2015) an extremely attractive vehicle, I have no desire to own one & if I did, I'd get one, in fact, I own 2 vehicles presently and one of the cost me significantly more than what the V10 5.2 litre variant of the Audi would cost me ($AU) price....... I actually shudder at the Thai price. So if I had the desire, I could of but just wouldn't and I imagine there's enty of wealthy people around in the same thought pattern as myself.

Anyway, I digress. My point is, whilst I loved your thoughtful thread, if I were to be BALLING IT, I would be back living on another yacht, maybe 10 foot longer than my last one, and I might be sitting on the deck eating seafood (purchased rather than caught....can't be raising a sweat de-shelling my lobster) & I'd either be floating around the Whitsunday Islands, Maldives, Greece Coastline or Fiji etc. THAT WOULD BE really balling it in my world. There wouldn't be a bottle of wine, a nightclub or ho anywhere in sight! 555555

I guess that puts me out of the baller category on more than one level. ?

Anyway, ROCK ON and enjoy you life, kudos to you for living your own balked lifestyle, even if it's not the 600k per month one you describe in this very entertaining thread.

In a side note, imagine parking ur R8 in bangers, only to come back to it and find som chai's Honda wave rest up agains the rear bumper and his helmet sitting on your roof turret while he fumbles through his pockets looking for his keys ???

• Like 1

Thanks neverdie, and I have absolutely no argument that there are infinitely more creative ways to spend the kind of money I've idly thrown around in this thread than living a completely hedonistic lifestyle in central Bangkok. As many have already pointed out, how many foreigners would chose Bangkok as their playground if they had the kind of money we're talking about ? Still, no shortage of people willing to fantasise about how they would spend 60/120/400K a month if their current circumstances were different - why not take that a step further and put yourself in that penthouse with the world (supposedly) at your feet ? :D

I do have one thing that Takky and the Red Bull heir cant seem to buy, and that's the freedom to parade my ugly mug all over Thailand - as the ad says, 'Priceless' ;)

• Like 1

do you get to shoot the abbot somewhere?

run over the police lieutenant in your super-car?

declare a military coup?

appropriate public land or national parks?

initiate grenade attacks against the highest courts?

murder shagging british holidaymakers on the beach?

abscond with a major universities slush fund?

execute some pesky vocal environmentalists?

decide who gets called in for attitude adjustment?

run a major clandestine oil importing operation?

successfully run a major human trafficking/prostitution enterprise?

thanks but i'll stick to the lentils in nakhorn nowhere

Technically, it was supposed to be your fantasy, but that sounds more like an amalgalm of every horror story in Thailand. I'd invest in decaf if those are the first things that spring to mind when you see the word 'fantasy'.