23 Banks Bombed In South Thailand

george

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks to Plus and JD for providing further insights and constructive suggestions. Particularly significant is Sonthi's willingness to begin negotiations in defiance of Government policy..where do you see this tension heading...coup?

I doubt a coup is likely but negotiations are a good start . . .

There's a joke: Where's Chinatown in Bangkok? It's in the parlament building.

"Chinese question" doesn't stand high on the agenda in Thailand, and it's good that Chinese were able to integrate in the society. Sondhi, chief Thaksin's protagonist looks very Chinese to me, btw.

Things MIGHT look very different from southern muslims point of view. They might think that Thais with whom they lived in peace for about a decade have been sidelined and current politicians (many of them Chinese businessmen) don't care about the country the way Thais of the previous generation did. Note that I put Chinese in brackets in the original post. It's just one possible dimension to the problem.

Army chief Sonthi, who is btw mulsim, is very frustrated with the manner the government handles southern unrest, and so are lots of field commanders. He just announced that he's ready to start talks with "separatists" in direct contradiction to the government policy. That is highly unusual and is close to mutiny as the army cannot ignore orders from Defence Minister. But then the Defence Minister is a known crook with no respect left.

I don't think comparison between Isan and the South is a valid one. Do they have "Isan" schools there? Do they feel like they need them? Because in the south they fill the void left by "Thai" education with pondoks and they are very proud of their pondoks, too, but the government does not recoginse them, unfortunately. Only recently there have been attempts to integrate them into education system.

void life by thai? i don't think so. from what i know and what i see during the peace time before TRT.

no, they was not voided by thai or anyother minority group in thailand.

some time they ask for attention, some time they tell everyone to leave their alone, and everyone need to listen to them, please them all the time? that is not the way gov run the country.

i was mention that no gov school in isan which use Loas or Cambodian language becasue, as every one know, at some point during the history isan was cambodian, isan was Loas, now isan is thai.

cambodian has been around here longer then thai, and longer then pattani, longer than almost anyone in S.E.A.

and they proud of their long history. so is it right if one day they say that they want most of the s.e.a back because they was here before thai and before every one. if thai not give it back, then thai must use cambodian language at some local school.etc...

everyone proud of their history. why some muslim can feel that they need their local language, but people in isan won't feel like they need them?

but it is just impossible for a particular minority group to ask the central gov to put their own local language at the thai local government schools, write legal papers in their own local language, and use it when visiting government offices. (well.. they can use it, but if the officer cann't understand it, then they have to speak the language which make sense, and they are in thailand the official language which make sense is thai.)

if one small local group of people can do it, why the other group can not?

would not it easier for every one to use one offical language when they have to deal with government agency?

no one stop them for teaching their local language to their child.

i don't buy most of the reason they said.

taksin is a chinese, it doesn't mean all the chinese in thai don't care about the country the way Thais of the previous generation did.

(and taksin is not the first PM, who came from the chinese family.)

you can go ahade and blame chinese for the thai social problem you see today, just because taksin is a chinese-thai.

i have seen this type of idea before. some Cambodian blame all the thai for the angorwat. some american blame all muslim for the 9/11. some chinese blame all japanese for the loosing of their love one during the WWII. some japanese blame all the american for the hiroshima and nagasaki bombing. it is not new to me.

it is not only chinese can integrate into the thai society, most of the thai-muslim can also do it very well.

the Cambodian and Burma don't really like thai from their painful history, but the one live in thailand still can integrate with thai.

everyone can do it, if they want to. it is not a perfect country, thai is not the best people in the world, but they are ... you know, they are thai. they are not too bad.

now this is not a joke; majority of chinese in bangkok is not in the parlament building which somebody misinterpreted as a Chinatown.

many of them stay with the anti taksin crowd. and it is not only chinese there, but also thai, farang, india, loas, muslim and many other minority who disagree with the TRT goverment policy. and non of them burn another people house or attempted to kill TRT supporter.

Its a matter of the here and the now - Now the Thai government is in legitimate control of the country

And living uder repressive conditions does not give anyone the right to object . . .

Khmer Rouge murders

Nazi Germany' mass murders

Facist Italy's mass murders in Ethiopia

Bush's USA lots of crap everywhere

Indonesia's occupation of Timor/Papua/Aceh

Australia's near eradication of Aborigines

China's invason/annexation of Tibet

I guess you're right . . . we should simply accept what our 'rulers' decide.

as i suggested to fruitbatty

dont cast a wide net to support your argument otherwise we will be back to who threw the first stone

keep it now - keep it current or you will end up as indecisive as the UN

:o

I'd have to disagree. For a statement as definitive as yours, there would never have been upheavals against terror/tyranny/injustice.

I actually find it quite laughable that you, or anyone, would advocate the status quo based simply on the principle of here and now.

What you don't seem to realise is that these people are treated as second-class citizens and you expect them to simply accept it. Would you?

MMMM

well you certainly havent done your homework have you

Here and now is sooooooooooooo thai and you live here (assumed) and havent realised that yet

please please please tell me the ratio of second class citizens in Thailand

let me help you

1st class Thais = say 1%

2nd class = ??

3rd

poor

unbelievably poor

hand to mouth poor

let me know (laughable)

Only muslims have their religion stated on ID cards. Buddhists or Christians are not marked. Does that make muslims second class? Maybe not, but they certailny can feel that it's as unfair to them as labelling jews in Nazi Germany.

Thaiintokyo, I was talking about "void in education" left by Thai schools - no local yawi language, and no muslim education. Parents want both for their children. Written Yavi might also be very useful for reading Koran, I suppose. In Malaysia there are plenty of Chinese schools, why Thai muslims can't have theirs here?

but it is just impossible for a particular minority group to ask the central gov to put their own local language at the thai local government schools, write legal papers in their own local language, and use it when visiting government offices.

Why is that impossible? It's done all over the world.

well.. they can use it, but if the officer cann't understand it, then they have to speak the language which make sense, and they are in thailand the official language which make sense is thai.

You presented a perfect example of muslims being colonised by Thais - why else should people learn a foreign language to talk to the government!

Only muslims have their religion stated on ID cards.

i have the religion stated on my card too. everyone i know in thailand have it on their card.

In Malaysia there are plenty of Chinese schools, why Thai muslims can't have theirs here?

i have a long relative in malaysia. they said (but it was very long time ago, do not know about now.) if you are not muslim in this country and you want to sent you kid to goverment university, you will have to pay for them. but for the muslim, gov will help to pay some of the fee. (i don't know if it truth but he got no reasion to lie.)

then at the same trip, i went to buy some snack in a chinese run small local store, the saler was talking with a chinese customer in chinese language, but then a grouup of muslim customer came in, they switch rapidly to some language (i guess it is local malay language.) i don't understand too why i can see every minority in thai speak their own language in front of thai?

(i saw chinese in the cappital speak chinese freely. then i think, it might be some thing that happen in this store, this location, i don't know.)

we also have shool that teach chinese, japanese ....

as far as i know, all of them are not gov school. their are private school.

that why i said in the other post, if you want it, you build it. don't expect much from the corruption thai gov to provide every thing for you.

Why is that impossible? It's done all over the world.

hum... with about 1.8-2 mils of population in one area? and a very little out of that still doing the day bombing and killing? what a fantastic country?

you may not know how many minority group do we have in thai. just see the history of siam. ...... don't want to say more about this, you better find a book to read it your self, and you will see.

and then, be fair to all the minority,

make every longuage from every minority group become official. it is going to be fun.

next time when i go back to thailand, i might see some an officer from the 3 south province who woring at the airport speak yawi to me because it is one of the offical language in thai, which the majority of thai understand nothing of what he said!!!

You presented a perfect example of muslims being colonised by Thais - why else should people learn a foreign language to talk to the government!

muslim are not colonised by thai. they are living with us. but some of them discriminating the majority thai. killing thai. bombing an islamic bank!!! (getting confuse now!!!)

i don't see the muslim in another part of the country doing this.

i also don't see the minority cambodian or loas in isan doing this too. why?

no neet to talk about the minority in the north, we will have to talk about annother 10 -15 groups.

anyway, don't make it too personal. i think most of us living in thailand (thai or not thai, it doesn't matter.) agree that, the longer TRT still in the power, the deeper the wound is going to be.

muslim are not colonised by thai. they are living with us.

Yes, when they are living with Thais in Bangkok or Ayutthaya. No, when Thais are living with muslims in the south.

Same with Chinese - they are settlers here, they are supposed to learn the language of their new home. Muslims, on the other hand, ARE home already but they are forced to learn the language of the rulers. There are still many of them, reportedly, who can't speak, read, or write Thai - it's not their native language.

Thailand tries to assimilate them into Thai culture but it doesn't work - they are too different. If muslims don't want to become Thai no one can force them. If force is applied, expect resistance.

In the past ten-fifteen years we have seen many multi-ethnic states desintegrated, often violently - USSR and Yugoslavia are prime examples. Thailand should heed their experience with managing minorities.

Other minor groups in Thailand have been successfully assimilated, the problem is that their language and culture died as a result. Muslims don't want that.

Yes, when they are living with Thais in Bangkok or Ayutthaya. No, when Thais are living with muslims in the south.

Same with Chinese - they are settlers here, they are supposed to learn the language of their new home. Muslims, on the other hand, ARE home already but they are forced to learn the language of the rulers. There are still many of them, reportedly, who can't speak, read, or write Thai - it's not their native language.

Thailand tries to assimilate them into Thai culture but it doesn't work - they are too different. If muslims don't want to become Thai no one can force them. If force is applied, expect resistance.

In the past ten-fifteen years we have seen many multi-ethnic states desintegrated, often violently - USSR and Yugoslavia are prime examples. Thailand should heed their experience with managing minorities.

Other minor groups in Thailand have been successfully assimilated, the problem is that their language and culture died as a result. Muslims don't want that.

maybe go further south to Malaysia where you will be welcomed more easily by your Muslim brothers

You can then all speak Yawi and learn the Koran off by heart - forget about Thai lanquage - after all its not a universal language - and international business is not done in THai or Yawi - neither is international banking come to think of it

Or maybe it would be a good idea to all learn english - thats a good step in the right direction for the future of your children - so when the new separate muslim state has been set up you will be able to do international business to fund your new state.

No need to change the Thai system then

It looks like maybe going further south will be less problematic too

Perhaps petition the Malaysian government to allow a separist state to be set up on already Muslim soil

maybe easier I think than all this bombing stuff

certainly less mess and grief

thai gov forced every one to be in school, learning thai at lease until por6. (if i am not wrong.) so that they can speak and read the official language. then they will have no trouble when they go to do their paper work at gov office.

if gov want you to stay in school until por6. the school is free for every thai.

(muslim-thai, chinese-thai, india-thai, thai-loas, thai-etc included)

that gov never prohibit anyone from learning the second language.

gov will pick only the language that they think it is important for the globalization. then they first selected english.

that is all (i can think of)

for the extra language, usually if some minority really want their kids to learn it, they will try to open their own school in their community. or teach the kids at home.

if the southern muslim don't want to be in trouble when they go to gov office doing their paper work, then they have to tell the bad part of their society, don't burn the free school down, don't kill the teach. so that their kid can go to school, get some basic language learning.

if they want their language to be teach at school, then open the school for their community.

if some minority can get special treatment (by what they are doing now)

then think again at the future of this country.

(yes, i can be more important, if i kill some teacher, burn down some school.)

as far as i see. thai don't assimilate their culture into the minority that much compare to the muslim dominated country.

you can do almost every thing you want according to your culture.

you see Christmas, chinese newyear, american horrorween, japnese whiteday...

not mention those unique local even outside the city.

whatever is seem to be ok, then if you got beer, and woman. thai will joy.

wondering if those minority in the muslim dominated can do this, and the muslim will enjoy with them.

some muslim think, they are too different. don't want to become Thai?

some 50-80 ys ago chinese did that before.

but i can not say much about this because i did not read much of the history during that time.

anyway, somehow it was no bloodshed.

now every chinese-thai speake thai. majority of them willingly change the family name to thai. they call thailand as home, and china as foreign country.

i am sure problem today is a lot more complicated than 80yrs ago.

may be gov today should look back and learn from the past.

(get taksin out is the best way for me!!!)

nobody is going to loose their root their culture, if they want to keep it.

if the next generation don't want it, no one can help.

the central gov can help, but soon or later it will go anyway.

the community need to do their job of keeping their root.

killing thai is not the way to do it.

all minority in thai has been in the same situation. no one seem to have problem even the muslim in another part of the country.

if you want to cut those minority which their root have not thing to do with area around here, you still have people in isan, which stay here for more than 1000 of years already, siam was also here (they was just too small at that time but another 600ys later, it was a difference story.) they have got their own language and writing which surely older than patani.

they have been under siam control for 6-700 yrs already, but still can keep their culture till modern day.

no need to mention about the people living up north. very small group, never been politically independence, but still very rich of their own culture.

if the muslim in the south did not throw the first stone, (as somebody mention before) you would not see the troop in the city today.

sorry too long already, i better leave.

Edited by thaiintokyo

I would think it was amazing how many Thai's don't know the history of the South ... but at a conference at R.U. last year many many students from Isaan were shocked to learn about Pattani and the history there.

maybe go further south to Malaysia where you will be welcomed more easily by your Muslim brothers <Guess you missed the fact that they don't feel very close ties with the Malays....>

You can then all speak Yawi and learn the Koran off by heart - forget about Thai lanquage - after all its not a universal language - and international business is not done in THai or Yawi - neither is international banking come to think of it <your point?>

Or maybe it would be a good idea to all learn english - thats a good step in the right direction for the future of your children - so when the new separate muslim state has been set up you will be able to do international business to fund your new state. <or Chinese ... etc. Chinese would be more useful for them>

No need to change the Thai system then <The Thai system has never really worked down there>

It looks like maybe going further south will be less problematic too <Sure leave the area their families have lived in for centuries ... why not! after all the UK gave that land to Thailand :D >

Perhaps petition the Malaysian government to allow a separist state to be set up on already Muslim soil <Kinda silly that since Malaysia is a Muslim country ... and that is NOT where these people are from>

maybe easier I think than all this bombing stuff <for them? doubt it>

certainly less mess and grief <for them? again doubt it!>

Get the history of the region ... then think about it :D

maybe go further south to Malaysia where you will be welcomed more easily by your Muslim brothers <Guess you missed the fact that they don't feel very close ties with the Malays....>

You can then all speak Yawi and learn the Koran off by heart - forget about Thai lanquage - after all its not a universal language - and international business is not done in THai or Yawi - neither is international banking come to think of it <your point?>

Or maybe it would be a good idea to all learn english - thats a good step in the right direction for the future of your children - so when the new separate muslim state has been set up you will be able to do international business to fund your new state. <or Chinese ... etc. Chinese would be more useful for them>

No need to change the Thai system then <The Thai system has never really worked down there>

It looks like maybe going further south will be less problematic too <Sure leave the area their families have lived in for centuries ... why not! after all the UK gave that land to Thailand :D >

Perhaps petition the Malaysian government to allow a separist state to be set up on already Muslim soil <Kinda silly that since Malaysia is a Muslim country ... and that is NOT where these people are from>

maybe easier I think than all this bombing stuff <for them? doubt it>

certainly less mess and grief <for them? again doubt it!>

Get the history of the region ... then think about it :D

I am not sure where you are getting your history lesson however...........

According to many historical sources, the ancient Hindu-Malay empire of Langkasuka was centered in Pattani, today's southern Thailand, which encompasses of modern Malaysia states Kelantan, Terengganu and northern Kedah, as well as modern Thai provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Songkhla and Satun.

During the World War II, along with the Greater Pattani Malay Movement lead by Tun Mahmud Mahyuddin, another guerrilla force under the leadership of Islamic scholar Haji Sulong Tokmina fought alongside against the Japanese. Their stated goal is to create a Islamic republic in Pattani, which frequently put it at odds with Tun Mahmud who wants to reestablish the Pattanese Sultanate (being a prince himself).

Today, the goals and ideas of Haji Sulong Tokmina is still carried on by minor terror groups interested in creating a Islamic republic closely imitating that of the Islamic Revolution in Iran. After the war though, hopes of any independent republic in Pattani was quickly dashed by the British and the Thais.

Enter the PULO

Pattani United Liberation Organization

PULO is the most notorious terror group in the south of Thailand. Its platform is shared between Islamic and nationalistic goals, calling Thai presence in Pattani as a breach of Islamic land by infidels.

Its goals however are more notorious and often placed Thailand's southern neighbor in the middle of this conflict. Its stated aims are to secede from Thailand through military and political means and unite with Malaysia as a state named Pattani Darussalam (Pattani, State of Peace). Their zeal is further enflamed when petroleum is found off-shore of Pattani's coast.

Their flag resembles closely to Malaysia's, having four red and white stripes and a black rectangular on the upper left with a crescent and a star. In 2003 and 2004, the unrest started by an arms theft in a Thai military installation was quickly blamed by the media on PULO, though Thaksin's administration blames bandits in what many say an effort to maintain warming relations with Malaysia.

PULO is widely seen to have connections with other regional terror groups, including Aceh's Independence Movement of Aceh (GAM). In 2004, Thaksin's administration admitted that weapons from southern Thailand made it across the straits to Aceh. Many speculated that PULO had supplied GAM with those weapons. In 2003 too, Thailand had demanded that several Thai clerics seen as PULO leaders be arrested by Malaysian police.

It goes on and if you want the complete history I will post it

LOL ... go to the Southern Thailand subforum and have a read since you are quoting some of what I posted there

:D

Then keep reading ....

Then realize WHAT you are reading :D

Then figure out WHO wrote what you are reading!

However it would serve you to address each point above and NOT try and use one website (again that I posted in the past) to address the whole thing :D

But Nice Try :o

Edited by jdinasia

remember, there was a "land" in so called pattani, long before the influence of islam. the history is fascinating, and should be used by all attempting to sort this matter out. by the way, i am almost certain, that the official "working" language in singapore is english.

Yes, do any descendants of pre-Islam people still live there? Or are they pure history? People living there NOW are not history. Den Tohmeena, Pattani senator, is related to that Muslim leader arrested and killed by Thais after the WWII I mentioned earlier.

English is one of the official languages in Singapore - to facilitate the communication and promote equality between different ethnic groups, none of which speaks it natively.

When people say that South is stronghold of Democrats they don't mean three muslim provinces. Up until 2005 elections peole there voted NAP and TRT with Wan Muhhamad Nor Matha as their political leader.

islam did not reach "malaysia" until the early 15TH century. so, yes. anyone claiming to be indigenous to that region.

maybe go further south to Malaysia where you will be welcomed more easily by your Muslim brothers

I don't believe you are addressing me personally and telling me to move. But even if you mean muslims in general - how more arrogant can you get???

They've been living there for generations and they you come and tell them to pack and move, because it's Thailand now. Like a good old Uncle Stalin.

thai gov forced every one to be in school, learning thai at lease until por6.

That says it all. Thai government forces everyone to study Thai in schools, and if they can't - tough luck. Move over to Malaysia?

When Thaksin is out, this attitude will be changed. First on policy level, then, hopefully among the general population. Muslims living there don't even ask for autonomy, chances are the radicals will not find any support for their cause and the conflict will die out.

PULO is a non-entity, arms surrendered, its members are all retirees, it doesn't have any mass support. In the beginning negotiations with it were dismissed as no one believes they have any control over the situation on the ground. Lately, however, Thai policy makers probably realised that PULO might be very useful for taking control back from unknown militants. Pulo, the devil you know, is easier to handle. They have approached them a couple of times, but the hawks always nipped the idea in the bud.

The latest overture by Army Chief looks like something different though. Looks like they found some low level contacts on the ground. Might be worth a try, but they haven't found any organisations behind the violence so far, maybe because there isn't any, maybe they are fighting against the idea, not a person, or a group of persons. They would have better chances if they have PULO on their side.

That says it all. Thai government forces everyone to study Thai in schools, and if they can't - tough luck. Move over to Malaysia?

:o As they are Thai schools, they teach Thai........

:o As they are Thai schools, they teach Thai........

:D well then since Thailand has controlled that area <formally> for over 100 years ... and a vast number of the natives of Songkla Yala Narathiwat and Pattani DON'T speak Thai with any fluency ...... what does that say about the efficacy of those "Thai schools"? <most DO understand Thai fairly well ... but speaking is another thing ....>

Edited by jdinasia

if you want to post more of the history you are free to post more.

but don't forget that history did not start at the end of WWII.

even if you will start at the begining of time in SEA, it won't prove anything on my point.

my aim is not to say that who is the owner of that land. i did mention that if every one today using only the timeframe which favor them, then it will be more chaotic than peace. (as you see in some part of the middleast now.)

and all the example i said, show that all the minority in thailand no matter how long they have been here, they can live together with on problem except one!

i also never tell anyone to leave their home and Move over to Malaysia, "that is only your answer for your self. not my, read my post well." (no moving to malaysia invoked.)

again, as a thai (another minority in thailand), people here thing that those people are thai's brother. (don't talk about Mr.T!!! he is suck. the way he did for those people in the south was not the way brother would treat brother. it is the same as some muslime did killing and bombing. it is just not the way it should be.)

sorry but i think i better out, because you did some thing like many of the muslim i was talking to on internet again. i am not here to proof anyone wrong. i just say what i saw and know. if i made mistake then colect me, but don't tweak my word and say some thing i never said.

"what does that say about the efficacy of those Thai schools?"

thing real, if the gov don't force every one to get the same basic education, then then UN will ask thai gov, "are you discriminating those people?"

don't say that your country have not basic education system for everyone.

thai system is not that good, but the kids can learn to read and write. which again they will not be in trouble if they have to do some gov related document.

and if you think that the gov school is suck, then go and take class in another school which will teach your kid better. (just don't burn it down and kill the teachers.) but your kid have to be their until por6. learning the same basic standard + whatever the better school will offer.

bye bye now

Edited by thaiintokyo

Well, Thaiintokyo, when muslims were treated like brothers they behaved like ones. When they live among Thais they don't cause any problems, do they? They don't force anyone in Hua Mark to learn arabic and teach Koran in schools there. But when Thais (Thaksin) come down South it's my way or highway.

I'm sure they don't mind learning Thai at schools. Thais are very accomodating people, always have been, until Thaksin came along and started all this nonsense. He dismantled the network that served as a link between locals and the government and put new guys in charge and locals don't accept this new order. It took decades to build the trust and now it's gone. Start all over again.

It's HIS government that is unacceptable there, and muslims are not alone in that.

All banks in Deep South to increase security measures for customers

All banks in the three southern border provinces will pump more security forces in the branches, following the bombing incident at many banks in Yala province.

Finance Minister Thanong Bidaya(ทนง พิทยะ) disclosed after attending a meeting with executives of government’s banks and representatives from Thai Bankers’ Association over security measures. He said strict security measures will be implemented for the customers.

He added that government’s banks will discuss with Thai Bankers’ Association on how to implement security measures.

In the mean time, manager of Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives, Theeerapong Tangtheerasunand (ธีรพงษ์ ตั้งธีระสุนันท์) said that the meeting had a resolution to establish a committee to look after the measures, such as installation of CCTV at the entrance and exit of every bank, installation of luggage x-ray machines, increase numbers of security officials by 50 percent as well as the measures to leave the belongings outside the banks.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 September 2006

Officials dispatched to provide safety for all banks in Yala province

Officials have been dispatched to provide security for all banks in Yala (ยะลา) Province and also in other areas to prevent any possible attack from insurgents.

Police Major General Paitoon Chuchaiya (ไพฑูรย์ ชูชัยยะ), the Commissioner of the Yala Provincial Police, said that relevant agencies attended a meeting to determine security measures for banks following the recent bomb attacks in the province last week.

He disclosed that the banks have requested to dispatch the officials to provide security for them until they can take care by themselves. He said two officials will be looking after each bank internally and patrol officials will inspect the areas outside of the financial institutions.

He said the banks have been urged to install detective machines for suspicious items as to provide convenience for the officials in providing security as well.

Police Major General Paitoon spoke about security measures in other areas, especially in government units and public venues. He said the officials have been dispatched to all places as to increase confidence for local residents.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 September 2006

Pol. Maj.Gen. Paitoon: sim cards used to trigger bombs were nicked since July

Police Major General Paitoon Chuchaiya (ไพฑูรย์ ชูชัยยะ), commissioner of the Yala (ยะลา) provincial police, indicated that the sim-cards used to detonate bombs in banks, were nicked from shops since July.

He spoke on the progress of the investigation in the bomb incidents at many banks in Yala Province on August 31st. He said that five suspects have been issued the arrest warrant.

Mr. Abdullah Jaetimae (อับดุลเลาะห์ เจ๊ะตีแม) in Yaha (ยะหา) District , one of the suspects has given up and has reported to police, however he said he had nothing to do with the bomb attacks.

Pol Maj Gen Paitoon said that policemen will arrest two more suspects accused of illegal firearms possession.

Well, Thaiintokyo, when muslims were treated like brothers they behaved like ones. When they live among Thais they don't cause any problems, do they? They don't force anyone in Hua Mark to learn arabic and teach Koran in schools there. But when Thais (Thaksin) come down South it's my way or highway.

I'm sure they don't mind learning Thai at schools. Thais are very accomodating people, always have been, until Thaksin came along and started all this nonsense. He dismantled the network that served as a link between locals and the government and put new guys in charge and locals don't accept this new order. It took decades to build the trust and now it's gone. Start all over again.

It's HIS government that is unacceptable there, and muslims are not alone in that.

Very good point made :o I'm with you on this, if this administration is still in office after the election, expect the South to have even bigger bloodshed. The worse part about this is that innocent people, both muslim and buddhist will be on the receiving end.

LOL ... go to the Southern Thailand subforum and have a read since you are quoting some of what I posted there

:D

Then keep reading ....

Then realize WHAT you are reading :D

Then figure out WHO wrote what you are reading!

However it would serve you to address each point above and NOT try and use one website (again that I posted in the past) to address the whole thing :D

But Nice Try :o

well if you insist in getting slightly off the subject of the 23 banks bombed - please post the link so we can all read about the history of the south (so i can read away from this forum )

thanks

has anyone understood the fact that 23 banks/ATM's were bombed

This is not just a bunch of random events - it is organised -these people have training - they are well diciplined and have an agenda, they are funded.

They are getting more organised and better at what they do best.

EAch month that passes proves this and without support they would have fizzled out by now.

But no they are getting more and more brazen and the more that get locked up or killed the more keep coming.

So if you think a group hug will fix it OK fine I can live with that, I wish you all the best.

But people please understand that you're no longer dealing with a bunch of farmers, your dealing with something much more organised than that.

And if you think they will stop now then you are on the wrong train, they will keep on keeping on until they get exactly what they want.

and so I pose this question

Are these people angry with ATMS?

PM Thaksin gives more authority to Gen. Sonthi in solving unrest issues in deep South

Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) stated that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has given more authority to Army Commander-in-Chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญรัตกลิน) in administering and solving the problems in the far South.

Gen. Thammarak disclosed that Prime Minister Thaksin has assigned him to consider and amend the orders of the National Security Council, to increase the authority for Gen. Sonthi as he is responsible for solving the unrest situation in the three southern border provinces. The Army Commander-in-Chief will be given authority to look after budget issues as well.

Defense Minister added that amendment of the orders will also prevent politics from intervening the officials while they are performing their tasks in the South.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 September 2006

I agree, Blackjack, the violence keeps "improving" and bombs get more sophistiated (do they really?), insurgents appear to be better organised and so on.

Three years ago, when they were just farmers, a group hug might have solved the problem, now they need a hug, a policy change, attitude change, patience, enough time for a healing process, and transparent law enforcement, and a lot more. With each passing day Thailand gets itself deeper and deeper in this shit.

There were several turning points in the latest bout of violence there and they all could have been avoided if group hug was administered early on.

What if Thaksin didn't go after glory, arrested four muslims and charged them with terrorism on flimsy grounds. What if these four muslims were not tortured in jail, what if their lawyer wasn't abducted and killed by police themselves in broad daylight. What if Thais didn't charge Krue Sue mosque, only a month later, and mercylessly killed all 30 muslims there with only four guns between them. What if Thai army didn't kill 80 unarmed muslims it their custody after Tak Bai?

These, and many less known others, were seriously provocative acts on behalf of Thai government. Now they are reaping the fruits.

Please, folks, don't dismiss active peace-making as if it's nothing more than group hugs and singing "Kumbayah" around the campfire. Active peacemaking includes three channels of effective diplomacy; knowledge that Thai officials in Bangkok do not seem to have now; hard work walking through the south without a limousine and driver; talking for hours upon end with hundreds of people who don't eat 900-baht lunches in Bangkok, etc. It means realizing you're ignorant about many of the issues, and working hard to learn from all nine sides of the conflict, in several dialects. Oh - and admitting you were a bit late getting Muslims' photos on those national anthem movies at the cinema.

And having a high-society, rich, powerful Thai say in southern dialect, "I was wrong. I'm sorry. Please forgive me."

Correction: jd reminds me I was wrong; the song at the cinema is not the national anthem, and it has been showing Muslim faces for many years. I hadn't noticed.

Gen.Sonthi believes more authority given to him will help in solving unrest in Deep South

The Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief, General Sonthi Boonyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), is confident that additional authority granted to him will help him in solving the unrest situation in the three southern border provinces and added that he would do his best.

Gen. Sonthi said that he acknowledged from Defence Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has assigned Gen. Thammarak to amend the orders of the National Security Council to increase his authority in administrating and solving the violence in the deep South.

Gen. Sonthi said more authority would be given to him so he could give orders and look after the budget. In the past, he only had the authority as a coordinator. He believes the efficiency in solving the problems in the South would increase as he has been given more authority.

As for the amendment of the orders, Gen. Sonthi disclosed that the Defense Minister has informed that he would accelerate the amendment, which is expected to be completed soon.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 September 2006

Please, folks, don't dismiss active peace-making as if it's nothing more than group hugs and singing "Kumbayah" around the campfire. Active peacemaking includes three channels of effective diplomacy; knowledge that Thai officials in Bangkok do not seem to have now; hard work walking through the south without a limousine and driver; talking for hours upon end with hundreds of people who don't eat 900-baht lunches in Bangkok, etc. It means realizing you're ignorant about many of the issues, and working hard to learn from all nine sides of the conflict, in several dialects. Oh - and admitting you were a bit late getting Muslims' photos on those national anthem movies at the cinema.

And having a high-society, rich, powerful Thai say in southern dialect, "I was wrong. I'm sorry. Please forgive me."

Correction: jd reminds me I was wrong; the song at the cinema is not the national anthem, and it has been showing Muslim faces for many years. I hadn't noticed.

I am a bit out of my depth when it comes to peace talks

can you let me know where and when peace talks have ever been successful

I find it a bit hard to understand how dialogue can be fruitful when bombs, loaded guns and hidden agendas rule the talks