Telling Thai gf how much I'm REALLY worth?

puukao

Easy to say too much, which she will misunderstand and start making assumptions which will create problems. Just be honest, and answer questions as they arise.

The more you volunteer the better chance she will get confused. You are comfortable under present conditions.

Comfortable?

Wet, no raincoat, no candy, not being taken care of.

The OP didn't mention his and her ages.

If he's old and she young her behaviour is exactly as I would expect. If the gf has already been married and has a child/children, she will have more knowledge about life and understand better that she should take care of her provider.

But why do I bother with this small insight, the OP has been nowhere to be seen since the thread was posted!

Very rude!

I'm 44.

Don't worry, a year in Thailand (2 trips) I actually have gotten a free ride through the entire country, about 10 free nights, 30 free meals, etc...all because I was just nice to people. And this was years ago, so it's not like they were stringing me along for cash.....i leave all the nice things back home.....i did buy a 100,000 bike there, but I think they thought the bike was 15,000 baht. hard to tell those things.....

i like to create threads to help my fellow internet clowns...........the mods send me messages all day, "Puukao, you are the thread master!!!" I know mods...I know. This is my second thread in a row that has become HOT...SUPER HOT....my next thread will be SUPER SUPER HOT. LOL....

Once again, a true story, I just make it seem like it happened recently but it happened a year ago. I do this for comedy, but it's still a true story that people can relate to. But of course I'm not telling anyone my financial condition unless i marry them. i don't even tell expat friends...why? no reason.

trust me, i don't have money. i have a few friends who are liquid millions and are still in their late 30's. And they don't buy anything unless it's on sale.....but they tell me how they buy houses in western usa in cash, and a few times they showed me their investment portfolio. I'm sure it was bragging, and maybe they thought i didn't believe them......well, if they show me, maybe they will show the cute thai gf in issan!!! haha. yes, you never know. especially after a drink....

my thai language teacher told me once, "i don't care how much you have. It cannot help me, so why would i care?" true, very true.

Edited by puukao

If all you have is a lump sum,then you are stuffed. You need an income,pension houses rented out in you country. So you would then have money and not a DECLINING lump sum. Money in the bank,what nonsense , I have £8000 only ,but it grows slowly. I tell my GF I am poor and she still stays,so no worries......

• Like 1

Must go, but can post once more today...

I started with zero. One good investment gave me 100,000 USD (worked 10-years to save for investment capital). Working 20-years does help, but not a ton. Invested twice more. One was a 75,000 profit. And i'm pretty well diversified now.....not too much currency, market, interest rate risk....and a few income streams.

It is very bad bonds aren't yielding more.......when they do, then ladder a few bonds and i'll be fine for decades....

last month made about 4k after all expenses taken out....that was nice. that is not normal. i was happy.

if it was just a lump sum and i tried to live forever on it....that is dumb. well, not dumb, but not prudent. well, being prudent can be bad.....but ... well, anyhow....

i definitely want to save/make/protect the cash....

If all you have is a lump sum,then you are stuffed. You need an income,pension houses rented out in you country. So you would then have money and not a DECLINING lump sum. Money in the bank,what nonsense , I have £8000 only ,but it grows slowly. I tell my GF I am poor and she still stays,so no worries......

What your saying about you making it clear to you GF that your not rich is one of the most level headed things I've read on TV for a long time.

I have more than enough investments and income from a few businesses Im a sleeping partner in back home so I'm quite well off but your GF does not need to know your finances. It's the expats that comes into Thailand with everything he has with one big noise flashing his money around, buying the penthouse and Merc who see his ass without a mirror !!

I posted a thread : "I Tell My Fiancee I Am Poor Man."

The "Misery" guys on here, ripped me a new one.

Mostly for being "Dishonest".

My now Thai Wife here in USA certainly knows I am not poor. Trips, gifts, money to family that I wanted

to give, etc. I've spent over $30K in the last two years going to BKK and bringing her here.

But she does not know how much money I have.

I ALSO DO NOT KNOW WHAT SHE HAS.

+ Keep expectations low. Then she will be pleasantly surprised.

+ Under Sell. Over Deliver.

+ What you have before her ... what she has before you get married/met ... does not matter.

+ Prenup. Signed agreement.

I think you are doing right.

I wish you the best ... am posting this without reading any comments.

I'm sure you got ripped!

REMEMBER: Misery Loves Misery. TV commenters had someone outside their misery box.

Most on here hate it when someone is happy and is trying to make a relationship work.

Good Luck.

Never tell a Woman what your Net Worth is, especially a Girlfriend, and doubly especially if she is Thai!

When someone asks why you don't work, and you feel like answering, just tell them because you don't have to. If your G.F asks, and again if you feel like telling her something. just say you don't need to work for a few years but only if you are careful with your money now. This clarifies that you have money, but yet you still need to be careful with it, which a Thai would understand.

I don't think Thai's have a very good concept on the value of money, especially big money, and the cost of living in the West. For you, where perhaps you would need at least $40,000 to live in your country for a year, it is a fortune to her. A LOTO Winning! Even if you budget $24,000 a year to live here, or only 60,000 Baht a month, that is far above the minimum wage here, and 4x the average government worker salary.

So where you run into trouble is when you feel you have enough to live here comfortably for awhile, yet she will feel you are wealthy. Thus not understand why you don't buy her that Gold Ring or Necklace. Thai's understand that not all people are rich and many live within a budget. Nobody understands a Cheap Charlie.

I want to share a reverse story and perhaps it has value. I met a thai girl while living in Dubai. She flew for EK Airlines. I made great money. We dated and pretty much lived together for about a year before we went to BKK together. Whenever checks, or dates, or bills she would variously offer to pay, or I would insist telling her "when the day comes I do not have the money I will then ask you to pay, for now I got it." I tended to say this a lot; a typical western man.

We took a taxi to her home, got out, she paid the taxi while I got bags. I then looked up and the building and asked which floor was her family's? All of them, silly. The building was surrounded by a solid steal fence with cameras. As we approached the gate it opened automatically. There were 9 late model cars in the driveway yet the place seemed dead- it was sunday. We entered on the first floor and this appeared to be the business. I asked incredulously, "this is all one business?" No silly, and she pulled a wooden board from the desk which listed 47 different real estate companies. The family was filthy rich. Each person had their own floor; Gma/gpa, sister, brother, mom dad, her. etc. House in back for staff, cook, driver, etc. I had presumed over the past year of falling in love with this woman that I was perhaps the best thing for her, and immaturely took a degree of pride in finding someone I loved, and could whisk away on my western white horse. In the end, it could not work and when confronted with the final, unassailable reason why, I was shocked- "How could you ever pay enough sinsod to my parents?" she said "How would you explain to my father how you could care for me the way he had?" All true, but brutally painful. This is how a 2+ year love affair ended, with the money being the distinguishing characteristic of a possible future.

She never told me about her money because it was simply none of my business, I suppose. I am glad I did not know. Before it was over, when her grandpa died, all the g kids were given one million USD and the 5 aunts and uncles split a fortune, a really big fortune with her dad getting the most because he ran the business. I realized then that changed everything. I would forever feel her money behind my thoughts and hopes for the future and while her later explanation of sinsod hurt, it was the realization she had so much money that choked me to death realizing my i could never meet that expectation.

Do not tell her about your money unless directly asked; if directly asked, you had better appraise the context and reason. Its just not necessary. In your case,, everything above is reversed and the same societal pressures opposite. But do you really need to tell her? I did not know and in retrospect am happy I did not know.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

64 posts in this thread so far, and from 61 of them you read between the lines that they are in a financial relationship with their wife or GF. I thought the majority of TV members had Chinese HI-SO wifes and GF's.

agree with you 1000000000000000000% mate your spot on cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

are you looking to lose it all ?

better tell her nothing .. if you have some divident, that that is your income and that is what she should know

and also notify her that economy is bad and money could get tight ...

and then see how much handsum you are and how much love you get

tell her straight up you are not rich only enough to spend on food and basic housing, no fancy houses or cars or start a new crazy business with the in laws. If she is cool that, she should be alright. Like other said, tell her you are poor and see if she runs away, that's the easiest.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You should find a down to earth genuine thai girl, someone who works in a 7/11 or factory that would appreciate anything you give her that would not try take you for every penny you are worth.

This is reasonably good advise and something I am looking out for... also have my eye on a pretty cool Filipina that knows what hardship is growing up dirt poor... maybe the type that would be careful (ok, maybe after several years she would be stupid) with your(s)/hers money over time.
But, appreciative more than the money hoe... and &lt;deleted&gt; cute AND speaks awesome english.

I'll never tell her what my net worth is, but if she works out the way I think, she won't have to work and can travel with me.

I like Goldbuggys advice too.

I want to share a reverse story and perhaps it has value. I met a thai girl while living in Dubai. She flew for EK Airlines. I made great money. We dated and pretty much lived together for about a year before we went to BKK together. Whenever checks, or dates, or bills she would variously offer to pay, or I would insist telling her "when the day comes I do not have the money I will then ask you to pay, for now I got it." I tended to say this a lot; a typical western man.

We took a taxi to her home, got out, she paid the taxi while I got bags. I then looked up and the building and asked which floor was her family's? All of them, silly. The building was surrounded by a solid steal fence with cameras. As we approached the gate it opened automatically. There were 9 late model cars in the driveway yet the place seemed dead- it was sunday. We entered on the first floor and this appeared to be the business. I asked incredulously, "this is all one business?" No silly, and she pulled a wooden board from the desk which listed 47 different real estate companies. The family was filthy rich. Each person had their own floor; Gma/gpa, sister, brother, mom dad, her. etc. House in back for staff, cook, driver, etc. I had presumed over the past year of falling in love with this woman that I was perhaps the best thing for her, and immaturely took a degree of pride in finding someone I loved, and could whisk away on my western white horse. In the end, it could not work and when confronted with the final, unassailable reason why, I was shocked- "How could you ever pay enough sinsod to my parents?" she said "How would you explain to my father how you could care for me the way he had?" All true, but brutally painful. This is how a 2+ year love affair ended, with the money being the distinguishing characteristic of a possible future.

She never told me about her money because it was simply none of my business, I suppose. I am glad I did not know. Before it was over, when her grandpa died, all the g kids were given one million USD and the 5 aunts and uncles split a fortune, a really big fortune with her dad getting the most because he ran the business. I realized then that changed everything. I would forever feel her money behind my thoughts and hopes for the future and while her later explanation of sinsod hurt, it was the realization she had so much money that choked me to death realizing my i could never meet that expectation.

Do not tell her about your money unless directly asked; if directly asked, you had better appraise the context and reason. Its just not necessary. In your case,, everything above is reversed and the same societal pressures opposite. But do you really need to tell her? I did not know and in retrospect am happy I did not know.

Thank you. Very interesting story.

Surprised this thread is still going......mods are patient, must have been taught by Yoda!!!

Telling someone you have millions and doing NOTHING about it makes no sense....then they will hate you, i think. tell them you are poor and buy things they need (not want) will have them thinking you are very kind...

money will not buy happiness in the long-run, that is for sure. or love.....or health usually, but can keep your health....anyhow..

the best is the 2 week millionaires who make most people look poor....

i've found most people will assume you have no money when you don't "work". so i prefer that....

but when you don't show stress.....i think that is a tell that you have enough. because money is definitely stress when you have none...big stress. one of the biggest.....

it's like the guy at the pawn shop.....he offers you 20 USD for something worth 400. after 100 hours of arguing, he offers 21. lol.

maybe i will just say "i got money for school, so i have a little left." or, "i just sold my car in Europe, but now i only have a tricycle!!!"

then put on a clown suit...

There's poor and poor. Poor is a relative term. Poor compared to whom ?

If you have enough food, adequate shelter, access to health care, an acceptable life style, are your poor ?

In many societies being poor is not the same as being a loser.

But, why should any women accept a life partner who does not offer a life style at least the equivalent of that she has had before? That is a biological imperative, around which has been woven centuries of social wisdom.

There's poor and poor. Poor is a relative term. Poor compared to whom ?

If you have enough food, adequate shelter, access to health care, an acceptable life style, are your poor ?

In many societies being poor is not the same as being a loser.

But, why should any women accept a life partner who does not offer a life style at least the equivalent of that she has had before? That is a biological imperative, around which has been woven centuries of social wisdom.

You been watching too much Hollywood stuff.

No such thing as a 'life partner' anymore.

And if there was it isn't relevant to a thread about girlfriends.