Which country do you think produces the best tasting Beer?

My vote goes to Germany for high density of great beers and the purity law.

The purity law (Reinheitsgebot) was repealed in 1987.

the Reinheitsgebot was always a farce especially during the last century.

reason: to treat the brew-water up to a dozen chemicals can be used without disclosure. moreover, the Reinheitsgebot of the 15th century did not mention yeast which is used in every brewery.

Yeast is NOT used in every brewery.

Google Lambick, Geuze.

QUOTE 1

please define "real beer".

QUOTE 2

It's the ones he likes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I can not define real beer.

But I can say what is NOT real beer: anything produced industrially is NOT real beer.

That includes Heineken, Stella, Lays, mama noodles, coca cola etc.

Edited by nidieunimaitre

My vote goes to Germany for high density of great beers and the purity law.

The purity law (Reinheitsgebot) was repealed in 1987.

the Reinheitsgebot was always a farce especially during the last century.

reason: to treat the brew-water up to a dozen chemicals can be used without disclosure. moreover, the Reinheitsgebot of the 15th century did not mention yeast which is used in every brewery.

Yeast is NOT used in every brewery.

Google Lambick, Geuze.

Iambics and Gueze both use yeast.

They are just naturally occurring yeasts, the doors of the vats are thrown open and the wild yeasts from the neighbouring fields are allowed in.

Because of the wheat used they wouldn't pass Reinheitsgebot.

The reason yeast wasn't mentioned was because it wasn't discovered until the 1800's.

The only water treatments being used are to make the water harder or softer to emulate the waters of the place a beer style was originally from example, putting chalk in the water when making an Irish stout.

Impossible to really say as there are so many countries that produce greats beers, but it is safe to say Thailand would not rank in the top 100 in my opinion.

Singha, LEO, chang, absolute garbage.

Thank gawd for imported beer in this country.

Edited by Straight8

Can't beat a good pint of British bitter.

None of the cold, weak, fizzy stuff that so much of the world seems to think is good beer.

Can you still get " Youngs Special Bitter- out of the Wood " ?---that will have my vote thumbsup.gif

The US, but not the huge companies. The microbrews available are awesome

Agreed. Germany taught me that there is good beer in the world. The Czech Pilseners are the best. My little home town in Idaho, USA has a great microbrewery with a continually rotating choice of great ales and a delicious hamburger to go with them. Watery, tasteless, mass produced lagers? Umm, no thanks. Here in Thailand when I want a really good beer Villa Market has a good choice of expensive but delicious foreign beers.

It is all a matter of taste and what you are used to . My preference is for English Draft Bitter or Irish Guiness .

I have had German beer which was OK , I have never sampled Belgian Beer .

I rate Czech draft beer with English , excellent .

Belgium and Germany for lagers

but England is the home of real ales , bitter , mild and cider

The problem is that real ale is an acquired taste and most foreigners will not give it the time of day, if it doe not look like a pissner they turn their nose up.

When it come to good traditional ale, the Belgians win hands down, again many are just not aware of the malted ales produced by the monks in years gone by. My favorite is the old triples.

• Like 1

German beer is pretty limited because the brewers are controlled by the German Beer Purity Law which stipulates the only ingredients that can be used in the production of beer were water, barley, yeast and hops.

German brewers are bitching about this saying they cannot compete with other European brewers who can choose their ingredients to enhance the flavor of their beer.

As to which is country produces the best beer that is impossible to say as all beer (almost) is good.

But the original Czech Budweiser Budvar Brewery from whence that poor imitation of beer 'Bud' springs from makes a magnificent drop.

On the Asian scene dark Beer Lao and Tsingtao are two of my favourites.

Anyone know where you can buy Tsingtao in Chiang Mai?

Canada. Especially good when drinking it with anyone but a Canadian.

I spent many an evening in my misspent youth drinking Moosehead beer in Maine. Tried it again last summer. Too sweet for my taste now.

Fat Tire did the trick though...

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/607/

Moose head beer,,,,,,,,,,mmmm

pretty much self expanatory.

actually ... I love Labatts.

Edited by slipperylobster

I'm just waiting for someone to say " America - Budweiser " lol

dude, read a paper now & then before you start flapping falsehoods outta your loose lips . china owns budweiser, has for a while, china makes & sells more bud to asia & the euro countries then all of german beer combined. but, back to the point you tried to make, bud does suk as a beer. i like, dos xx & corona both smooth larger's by mexico. but will try anything. :-)

German beer is pretty limited because the brewers are controlled by the German Beer Purity Law which stipulates the only ingredients that can be used in the production of beer were water, barley, yeast and hops.

German brewers are bitching about this saying they cannot compete with other European brewers who can choose their ingredients to enhance the flavor of their beer.

As to which is country produces the best beer that is impossible to say as all beer (almost) is good.

But the original Czech Budweiser Budvar Brewery from whence that poor imitation of beer 'Bud' springs from makes a magnificent drop.

On the Asian scene dark Beer Lao and Tsingtao are two of my favourites.

Anyone know where you can buy Tsingtao in Chiang Mai?

you are right the german brewers already whined their way out of being the "best" with their foolish "purity laws" . oh yea tsingtao gives you a hillery clinton fall down drunk bump head hangerover next day :-)

Are you talking about pilsner (or lager)?

Every country in the world produces them, and they all taste fundamentally the same.

Hinano from Tahiti, Leo, Heineken, Stella Artois, .... hardly any difference between them.

But if you are talking about REAL beer, the answer is obvious: B E L G I U M

I admit that we have bad beer too, Stella, Jupiler, (both pilsner), Leffe, Belle Vue, Corsendonck and generally speaking, most of the beers that we export.

For a full list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Belgian_beer

That list has 146 breweries and 1.150 beers (that excludes labeled beers, that are sold under different brand names)

Ah, you are talking about KRIEK ??? Do you call it Beer???

Are you talking about pilsner (or lager)?

Every country in the world produces them, and they all taste fundamentally the same.

Hinano from Tahiti, Leo, Heineken, Stella Artois, .... hardly any difference between them.

But if you are talking about REAL beer, the answer is obvious: B E L G I U M

I admit that we have bad beer too, Stella, Jupiler, (both pilsner), Leffe, Belle Vue, Corsendonck and generally speaking, most of the beers that we export.

For a full list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Belgian_beer

That list has 146 breweries and 1.150 beers (that excludes labeled beers, that are sold under different brand names)

Leffe...mmmm, yum yum, you can get it in Korat, as well

I have been all over the world and I found that every country seems to have at least 1 good premium quality beer. Even Egypt, and the small Island of Malta.

I do miss my Labatts Blue, as you can only get that in Canada, but Pint for Pint the Germans make the Best Beer. Always have! Probably always will!

Labatts Blue is very good. It is widely distributed to stores in the US.

I'm just waiting for someone to say " America - Budweiser " lol

dude, read a paper now & then before you start flapping falsehoods outta your loose lips . china owns budweiser, has for a while, china makes & sells more bud to asia & the euro countries then all of german beer combined. but, back to the point you tried to make, bud does suk as a beer. i like, dos xx & corona both smooth larger's by mexico. but will try anything. :-)

Speaking of "flapping falsehoods", China doesn't own Budweiser. You too can be a filthy capitalist and buy stock on the NYSE (symbol is BUD.)

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever tried proper prison S**t moonshine? They sell it openly in Bulgaria. Gave me a migraine that lasted days

Moonshine is easy. Give that title to the hillbillies in the US, LOL.

To oversimplify, moonshine (and Whiskey) start out by brewing something very similar to beer with the same basic technique. That is then put into a still to distill the alcohol out of it. It's rotgut in that form but very high proof. Making whiskey takes a few more steps and a lot of time and equipment for aging so few do it homestyle.

I don't drink a lot but I often make my own beer which is mostly consumed by friends. It's a lot of fun and costs little to do, and takes very little equipment.

• Like 1

For a production beer, I like Coors beer which is made in Golden, Colorado. Unlike most beers it isn't pasteurized and I think it tastes fresher and better than some for that reason. FWIW, it's made in the largest single brewing facility in the world.

For more than 100 years it was a West coast only item, and wasn't available anywhere else. The movie Smokey and the Bandit was about smuggling Coors beer to the East coast in the mid 1970's.

I bought a 1976 Black Trans Am just like that car when it was about 5 years old. I wasn't looking for one but it was for sale, had the big block and 4 speed and was a Bandit clone. IIRC I paid five grand for it and it was nice.

Cheers

For a production beer, I like Coors beer which is made in Golden, Colorado. Unlike most beers it isn't pasteurized and I think it tastes fresher and better than some for that reason. FWIW, it's made in the largest single brewing facility in the world.

For more than 100 years it was a West coast only item, and wasn't available anywhere else. The movie Smokey and the Bandit was about smuggling Coors beer to the East coast in the mid 1970's.

I bought a 1976 Black Trans Am just like that car when it was about 5 years old. I wasn't looking for one but it was for sale, had the big block and 4 speed and was a Bandit clone. IIRC I paid five grand for it and it was nice.

Cheers

I love the van damme adverts to that