Driving Without A License

medz

Just be careful in the remote area,s if you must ride as these tend to be more dangerous due to the isolation and for sure everyone rides with the view no one else uses the road.

I did keep that in mind and kept really close to the side

in corners with poor line of sight. But thanks for the reminder! :-)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a full UK licence (excluding motorcycle) so I am going to apply for the international driving licence will this cover me for riding a motorcycle as well as a car.

I have just pased my CBT for motorcycle (UK) would this suffice for a motorbike licence.

Do I do the Thai version of the CBT and where can I do it (near Nong Khai or Udon Thani).

People have menioned insurance, where would I obtain this or does/will my travel insurance cover me.

Thanks for any help :o

btw I am a tourist planning on staying in Thailand as soon as I can but not at the moment.

You can´t get a Thai-license with a tourist VISA, which surfaced as

my main problem. I reckoned it´d be worth the time and money to

obtain a proper Thai-license, but I learned that it can´t be done on

shorter stays.

However, as far as I´ve concluded from this and other threads,

you´ll do just fine with an international driver´s license.

Insurancewise you´ll be on the safe spot as long as you´ve made

your regular payments to your company. The poo hits the fan when

you don´t have a license and would need some backing up from

the insurance company. It won´t happen.

Edited by medz

My posts have purely been to stress that driving legally and safely are the most important things, it was only 10 days ago that was on a night out with some friends, and instead of drinking my normal 10 beers and driving home safely I mixed my drinks, yes I had a few shorts aswell, this impaired my driving to such a degree that I knocked over a row of motorbikes, obviously being drunk I knew my insurance would not cover me, so I drove home, unfortuneately one of the bikes got stuck under my SUV and ended up in my garage, so now I have to find somewhere to hide that, remember drinking and driving is not clever or anything, so do not do it.

Ok, now we now you´re a funny fellow, would

you please refrain from fuk'n up my thread?

This is just a wild stab in the dark, but I would hazard a guess that you aren't really from Sa-weden.... are you, mate. :D

Excuse me Medz.

Since stabbing was brought up, Thaddeus please be careful with that poker, will ya? :o

Might he be a good and law abiding stabber? Conducting his stabbing

and poking sober, neither under the influence of heavy medication,

while carrying his valid stabber´s license? :D

Ok, now we now you´re a funny fellow, would

you please refrain from fuk'n up my thread?

This is just a wild stab in the dark, but I would hazard a guess that you aren't really from Sa-weden.... are you, mate. :o

Um, I guess that stab flew past me then ;-) Why would I not be from Sweden?

Om jag skriver lite på svenska kanske jag stärker validiteten i

påståendet om min nationalitet - varför det nu skulle vara så viktigt?

I can vouch that it was definately Swedish.

Agree, it doesnt really matter.

Edited by Alreadyinuse

I have a full UK licence (excluding motorcycle) so I am going to apply for the international driving licence will this cover me for riding a motorcycle as well as a car.

I have just pased my CBT for motorcycle (UK) would this suffice for a motorbike licence.

Do I do the Thai version of the CBT and where can I do it (near Nong Khai or Udon Thani).

People have menioned insurance, where would I obtain this or does/will my travel insurance cover me.

btw I am a tourist planning on staying in Thailand as soon as I can but not at the moment.

shorter stays.

Sorry ... but YOUR <medz> main problem is that you do not have a license ANYWHERE ... cannot get an international DL for that very reason. The laws regarding IDL's do not allow someone to drive a vehicle that they are not allowed to drive in their home country.

The practicality of that is the IDL doesn't spell out what you are allowed to drive. Your native DL does that. So no matter really. I have no idea what a CBT is so cannot respond to that<pazza>. Regarding insurance ... do you mean medical or do you mean liability? If you mean medical you need to check with your insurance company. Remember riding bikes here is the most dangerous thing that tourists do!

shorter stays.

Sorry ... but YOUR <medz> main problem is that you do not have a license ANYWHERE ... cannot get an international DL for that very reason. The laws regarding IDL's do not allow someone to drive a vehicle that they are not allowed to drive in their home country.

The practicality of that is the IDL doesn't spell out what you are allowed to drive. Your native DL does that. So no matter really. I have no idea what a CBT is so cannot respond to that<pazza>. Regarding insurance ... do you mean medical or do you mean liability? If you mean medical you need to check with your insurance company. Remember riding bikes here is the most dangerous thing that tourists do!

Ok, maybe I misunderstood things, but I was under the impression

that people with non-immigrant VISA can get a driver´s license in

Thailand - without having done it in respective home country first.

That, was my purpose, not obtaining an IDL.