The American Legion Forming in Ubon and for surrounding areas/provinces

retiredaamt

A reminder, the next meeting of the effort to organize a American Legion Post here in Issan will be this coming Monday, 11 May, at 10;00 am at the Lai Thong Hotel, 50 Phichitrangsan Rd, Ubon 34000. GPS 15*14'00.69"N, 104*52'05.15"E. There will be a lot to discuss and vote on. We are very close to applying for our Temporary Charter. So make it if you can.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well how did the meeting go??

Quite well actually even with a less than desired attendance as many in US, DR stuff, etc, however with the answers we received from Department of France; we have elected some interim officers, and are accepting dues and applications to apply for our temporary Charter. Hopefully more will be in attendance next month. We may send off for the Temporary charter before that as we have enough now to apply, so if interested in becoming a charter member do it now, the door may soon close. Next meeting will be June 8, same time and place.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can request a copy of your DD214 online here. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

You will have to send a fax for signature verification.

Just did this myself. I signed the form scanned it and sent it to a friend in the states to fax it for me.

Just got my DD214 yesterday. About 3 weeks total including delivery to here.

Hi Mr. Edmonds. I to am a embassy warden. In fact the original embassy warden. I am also a life member of VFW in Pattaya. Qualified due to my service with Marine Recon in Vietnam and also my Bronze Star/With V and purple heart. Years back I tried to start a branch of the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) here in Thailand, so can definitely appreciate all the work you have to go through. We couldn't jump through enough hoops for the MOPH to be able to start a branch here, so it fell through. sad.png You can add me to your list even though I will never make it up there for a meeting as I'm now bed ridden and flat on my a** in Pattaya. I will send you an email with my particulars. Best of luck and hang in there.

Hey Jeep,

Would love to have one of your wife's bacon burgers.smile.png

Semper Fi from an old Army acquaintance - and sorry to hear about your health problems.

Just a little info. Today I mailed the Application for Temporary Charter to the Department of France. Of the 26 that showed interest and said they would join, 20 were attached to the application. Once we receive our Temporary Charter, those that join before we apply for a Permanent Charter, I beleive, will also be charter members. Hopefully within a couple of weeks they should receive it and present it to the Department meeting on the 18th of June and forward the application to National Headquarters for their approval. Department Commander, James Settle informed me today that he received the copy of the application and will discuss with the members at their Memorial Day celebration on Monday

Our beginning is small, but I beleive we can do some good things in our communities. Don't forget our next meeting is the 8th of June, 10:00 am at the Lai Thong Hotel in Ubon. Need directions, send me a email or call.

The link below is to the JUSMAGTHAI Monsoon Times. Some good info for all the Vet's here in Thailand and elsewhere.

http://www.jusmagthai.com/raonewsletter/jan_may15.html

We are still taking membership applications to become a member of the first American Legion Post in Thailand. Pm me and I will get you the information.

Thanks ubonjoe for the "bump".wai.gif

Our post meets every second Monday of the month, at 10;00 am at the Lai Thong Hotel in Ubon Ratchathani. Next meeting is June 8. The hotel is located at 50 Phichitrangsn Rd. GPS 15*14'00.69"N by 104*52'05.15"E. Plan to attend and bring a Vet.

Congratulations on forming your post. If I'm ever in the area I'll stop by. Now I just wish they could get a reserve unit out here... Korea and Japan are a bit of a hike.

If you are eligible, you are more than welcome to join our post. You don't have to live in the area nor do you have to attend meetings. Just keep your dues current and you are a member. We are new and still learning and can use all the help we can get.

Congratulations on forming your post. If I'm ever in the area I'll stop by. Now I just wish they could get a reserve unit out here... Korea and Japan are a bit of a hike.

If you are eligible, you are more than welcome to join our post. You don't have to live in the area nor do you have to attend meetings. Just keep your dues current and you are a member. We are new and still learning and can use all the help we can get.

How much are the dues, and how can one make the dues payments? I live in Surin, have my DD214 available (can scan a copy and send by e-mail if that is sufficient), and would like to help you in your endeavor to start an American Legion Post in the area. Is there a life time member option, and what does that cost? I likely wouldn't be able to make many meetings, but would try when I could.

Mike

How much are the dues, and how can one make the dues payments? I live in Surin, have my DD214 available (can scan a copy and send by e-mail if that is sufficient), and would like to help you in your endeavor to start an American Legion Post in the area. Is there a life time member option, and what does that cost? I likely wouldn't be able to make many meetings, but would try when I could.

Mike

Hello Mike, First of all thank you for your interest in our post and your service. Our dues are B1000 annually. The dues can be paid in cash or by deposit to my Bangkok Bank account. You may scan your 214 and email it to me. There is a life membership feature but you must apply for regular membership first and then apply for a Life Member. This is because you have to have a membership number first. Would be nice to be able to apply for Life Membership from the start. PM/message me with your email address and I will send you a application form and answer any questions.

Again, thank you.

And so what is your e-mail address or you can call me or e-mail me <contact by PM>. I was a mamber in Sterling, Va. years back and the office in D.C. said I may use my old ID and renew. So I want to joint your Post. Retired USAF E-7 26 years.

Mike

Hello Mike, First of all thank you for your interest in our post and your service. Our dues are B1000 annually. The dues can be paid in cash or by deposit to my Bangkok Bank account. You may scan your 214 and email it to me. There is a life membership feature but you must apply for regular membership first and then apply for a Life Member. This is because you have to have a membership number first. Would be nice to be able to apply for Life Membership from the start. PM/message me with your email address and I will send you a application form and answer any questions.

Again, thank you.

Just a little info. The charter for our post has been approved at the Department of France Convention this past weekend. It will now be sent to National Headquarters in Indianapolis for final approval at their Executive Committee meeting in September or October.

logo.pngspacer.gificon-twitter.png icon-fb.png icon-google.png icon-youtube.png email_hero_v2.png Join VA, Team Red, White & Blue, and others in the Veteran community for a Twitter chat about VA health care on Tuesday, June 30, at 3 p.m. EDT. Use and follow #ExploreVA. Register Now!

During the chat, participants can:

• Learn about how VA is increasing access to health care for Veterans.
  • See the answers to Veterans’ most common questions about VA health care.
  • Ask their own questions about VA health care, and share stories and tips with other Veterans and family members about accessing and using VA health care.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs | 810 Vermont Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20420

Keep updated & let us know how we're doing. email-icon-facebook_original.png email-icon-twitter_original.png email-icon-googleplus_original.png email-icon-blog_original.png email-icon-website_original.png email-icon-subscribe_original.png

share_this.gif

You have received this message because you are subscribed to Veterans Affairs. Access yourSubscriber Preferences to make changes to your subscription or Unsubscribe. Get this as a forward? Sign Up to receive updates from Veterans Affairs. Having questions or problems? Please visit subscriberhelp.govdelivery.com for assistance.

If you are in crisis and need immediate help, please call 1-800-273-8255 (and PRESS 1) or visitwww.veteranscrisisline.net.

Please remember the only secure way to ask personal questions is at https://iris.custhelp.com.

Explore VA benefits at Explore.VA.gov.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there going to be a meeting in August?

There will also be a Google "Hangouts" session. JC, the Adjutant, will host it and will send out a invitation through your email address with a link to join. We are doing this because many of our members are not able to attend the meetings in person. We tried it at the last meeting and worked fairly well but still had some glitches that need to be worked out. The meeting starts at 10 am on the 10th of Aug., so if you can, keep a eye out for a mail from JC with the link about 30 minutes before the start of the meeting.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated topic to show new meeting location.

Next meeting is on Monday the 10th of August at 10 am at the Choikee Restaurant.

FYI.............. I am returning to the states early 10 August and will not be back till mid-November. Also, having trouble with accessing Skype and have not been abvle to do the google hangout either. I keep missing your tutorialage. Perhaps when I have time in the states, most probably, I can take another stab at it.

Thanks, John

• 1 month later...

Archived