Survey: Are foreigners in Thailand more negative than people in their home country?

Scott

Are foreigners in Thailand more negative than people in their home country?  

377 members have voted

1. 1. Are foreigners in Thailand more negative than people in their home country?

• Yes, foreigners are more negative overall than people in their home country.
    • No, foreigners are not more negative overall than people in their home country.

This poll is closed to new votes

The negativity never ceases to amaze me.

All Thais are stupid, all police are crooks and EVERY thai girl is a whores seems to be the favourite war cries.

I've been here for 16 years love the people love the culture and wouldn't leave unless it was in a wooden box.

These foreigners who continuously moan seem to forget that the majority of Thais have never had and never will have the opportunities they had in life.

Bangkok may not be a 3rd world city but the majority of Thais in Isssan and the likes haven't got a pot to pi$$ in, and by the time they are 18 years old they have had the education the equivalent of what a western child of 12 has had.

If your head is so big you can't make allowances for that and you find yourself moaning about life in Thailand at every turn the best advice I can give is:

Call a taxi, ask for Suvarnabhumi Airport and go back from whence you camewai2.gif

Here we go again. DO NOT CRITICIZE THAILAND. If you don't like anything F off. Thailand is above criticism.

It's got nothing to do with that. If you've been ripped off, beaten up, scammed etc etc then complain about said person doing the crime.....Most Thai bashers just give blanketed criticism ......Personally I think Thailand would be better off without those types as they never give anything but negativity. I could (as I'm sure you could) name half a dozen posters street off who never say anything positive about Thailand.....why do those individuals stay if they hate the place so much? They should go to Afghanistan, speaking from experience they'd then have reason to complain.

Every country has its good points and bad points. People all over the world move to live in other countries for various reasons, there are plus factors and negative factors in doing this. People seem to develop love-hate relationships with the various countries they move to. They complain about the negative factors they dislike so much, but remain for the plus factors that drew them there and keep them there. This is normal human behavior. Thailand is no exception.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Thailand is such a rut that the T.V members who post such negative stuff, continue to suffer here, <deleted> are they dong in Thailand!!! We have choices. ( Perhaps they don't hence rotting here)

and this is not a negative comment???????

In my home country the UK the Brits are the worst moaners regardless of what country there in. Back home its nearly always the weather. At least I only live near one here who thank god isnt. And yes I realise the irony that is a a neg comment. But its the truth in my experience.

Edited by bim

Reading this forum I am often overwhelmed by the negativity of these people, and the they're all out to get you sort of attitude. Often leaves me wondering: what the <deleted> they are doing here. Or am I still wearing rose colored glasses after 24 years in Thailand?

And none of them seem to accept the fact that a large majority of Thais support the Government. But fortunately they are always the same very small uniformed minority with nothing better to do.

If Thailand is such a rut that the T.V members who post such negative stuff, continue to suffer here, <deleted> are they dong in Thailand!!! We have choices. ( Perhaps they don't hence rotting here)

and this is not a negative comment???????

I guess you must be one of them

Reading this forum I am often overwhelmed by the negativity of these people, and the they're all out to get you sort of attitude. Often leaves me wondering: what the <deleted> they are doing here. Or am I still wearing rose colored glasses after 24 years in Thailand?

Nothing is wrong about complaining

This to identify and fix things that are not working in we come from

Except most of the time things never get better over here

People posting on Thaivisa are definitely more negative than, well, pretty much any demographic of people you could mention. However that's not typical of expats here out in the real world, where most people I know or meet are very positive and love living here.

It's not "people posting on ThaiVisa" it is always the same gang of a dozen, OK maybe two dozen, I could even give you names, easy to remember since they are posting their same jingles every single day.

TV being not a small site, members are in thousands not in dozens...So no, "people" posting on ThaiVisa are probably not more negative smile.png

Edited by Tchooptip

Nothing is wrong about complaining

This to identify and fix things that are not working in we come from

Except most of the time things never get better over here

And things get better in you nation of birth?

Which nation is it? The ones in debt up to their eyeballs, the ones who illegally invaded Iraq, the ones who have open borders, the ones who have a corrupted party donations system or the ones who have police who regularly shoot and kill black people?

No nation is perfect....the difference between your nation of birth and nation of choice is that you had no choice regarding your nation of birth. Complaining of how things are in Thailand when leaving your home nation that clearly wasn't perfect either is slightly hypocritical don't you think?

Personally , I love Thailand and the freedom it offers as opposed to the UK . Do we complain more than our compatriots back home ? No, I don't think so , many are really pissed off about the way the UK is being run and are very vocal about it on Face book etc . The difference being in the UK, is that Uk citizens are allowed to be vocal with little or no recriminations, unlike the Thai people and ourselves 9( farangs ) currently. If they could, I am sure they would be just as negatively vocal as us farangs, apparently are.

Coming back to the point though. Yes may farangs seem to be negative and understandably in some cases, where visas and driving standards, aircraft maintenance and many other things that are done so easily and monitored and improved back home, seem so complicated to achieve and administer here in Thailand, and maybe it is constant frustration and exposure to such idiosyncratic bureaucracy that generates such negativity in many cases along with the negative ways in which the police deal with crimes committed by or against farangs.

On the whole though, I think foreigners find it just as frustrating to live with different aspects of Thailand as they do with other things back home , but whine more here than they would at home , no I don't think so, it is just that a higher concentration are collected on TVN and whining, often nonsensically as it gives them a voice to be heard ( read ) whereas it would be done in the pub back home , amongst friends and family, which many cannot do here in LOS

Problem is that farangs see Thailand with their western eyes; no, Thailand is not farang land, they just don't see the things like us

as said above, Thai bashers here are a minority but they are so noisy that sometimes I think Thai visa would change it's name in " Thai bashers "

I feel really sorry for foreigners who don't like Thailand and who can't go home because their own country is worse or they have no money to come back xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.kh9vLpJQkU19fSS

Problem is that farangs see Thailand with their western eyes; no, Thailand is not farang land, they just don't see the things like us

as said above, Thai bashers here are a minority but they are so noisy that sometimes I think Thai visa would change it's name in " Thai bashers "

I feel really sorry for foreigners who don't like Thailand and who can't go home because their own country is worse or they have no money to come back xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.kh9vLpJQkU19fSS

I don't think it's a case of "foreigners who don't like Thailand" its foreigners who don't like some aspects of living in Thailand. What's wrong with that. Thailand is not the perfect shrangri la. Lots of things about Thailand are great, lots of things suck big time. On forums like this people discuss things they dislike. IMO it's interesting to know the issues expats have. If I was thinking about relocating to another country I'd be on a forum like this beforehand getting opinions from resident expats, and I'd want to hear about the rough along with the smooth.

I don't think it's a case of "foreigners who don't like Thailand" its foreigners who don't like some aspects of living in Thailand. What's wrong with that. Thailand is not the perfect shrangri la. Lots of things about Thailand are great, lots of things suck big time. On forums like this people discuss things they dislike. IMO it's interesting to know the issues expats have. If I was thinking about relocating to another country I'd be on a forum like this beforehand getting opinions from resident expats, and I'd want to hear about the rough along with the smooth.

You just don't understand. You're mentally equipped to handle disagreement and debate, to want to hear both sides, and not just that which makes you feel good. You're curious, open-minded, interested in promoting a free discourse instead of silencing it, and insist on making up your own mind instead of having someone else trying to, as loudly and boorishly as possible, shame you into their point of view. Sorry, but that independence of spirit drives some absolutely off their meds around here, esp. if you should happen to give the impression that you'll decide for yourself whether and when to go or stay (heaven forbid!).

It depends on what farang you are talking about; the alcohol soaked brain dead ones complain a lot as they have nothing else to do and are past thinking about much of anything.

Those who have some purpose to their lives complain but it tends to also be with a purpose to contribute something positive.

True @ Commercial Diver, what can a Farang contribute ?

A Farang that came by choice to live in Thailand wants to change it to be more like his home country......If it was more like his home country would he have wanted to move here ?

Is it just the age of ThaiVisa posters and the amount of Alcohol they throw down their necks a contributing factor towards the negativity, who knows.....food for thought perhaps. smile.png

True @ Commercial Diver, what can a Farang contribute ?

A Farang that came by choice to live in Thailand wants to change it to be more like his home country......If it was more like his home country would he have wanted to move here ?

Is it just the age of ThaiVisa posters and the amount of Alcohol they throw down their necks a contributing factor towards the negativity, who knows.....food for thought perhaps. smile.png

Stop singling out farang in Thailand as some some of oddity. What you talk about here is a normal human instinct, everybody all over the world does this to some extent. British people went and settled in Australia/Canada/USA and made many changes to make those countries seem more like England. People from Muslim lands go settle in Australia, UK, Europe and build mosques and want to introduce Sharia law. Thais in Australia have built wats and celebrate loy krathong dancing around swimming pools in traditional Thai costumes.

I think a lot of foreigners are negative, because if you're not here for the women or family you've established already, I don't know what this country has to offer really. It's extremely difficult to integrate into Thai culture, and Thais don't make it easy. For those that are here for the women or have families seem to be pretty happy. As for cost of living, food, those factors alone don't really contribute to happiness in the long run.

I'm personally not into the women here anymore and don't see that much to make me move here. In fact all the prostitution and massage is just increasingly pissing me off the more time I spend in Asia. It's a moral issue, for example is a masseuse girl also a prostitute? I just have no way of knowing. What's going on behind the closed door at these nightclubs? I just don't know and after a while I just view Thais as morally degenerate, which leads to negativity at least for me.

Edited by tuonsai

• 1 year later...

Yes. Most are all but visitors living on the edge of the surrounding culture and well out of their "comfort zone". Some live a meagre existence in villages thinking about 1) why did this happen to me. Or 2) it's somebody else's fault.

You get out what you put in IMO.

I think you really nailed it! This post is destined to be a classic! What you said is simple, profound and right on the money. Thank you for your insight. It has been duly noted.

It depends on what farang you are talking about; the alcohol soaked brain dead ones complain a lot as they have nothing else to do and are past thinking about much of anything.

Those who have some purpose to their lives complain but it tends to also be with a purpose to contribute something positive.

Thank you!

Yeah makes ya wonder Huh...

Mr

I belive it's the pied piper effect. One negative comment and all the following expats feel they have to join in with the negativity. Lots of cliques and mutual back slapping on here. I firmly belive it is only this forum that is so negative, when I meet other expats here there is no sense of the vitriol which is displayed on here. As someone said easy to hide and say things being a anonymous forum, easy to bully and try to segregate people to suit there agenda.

Mr

I belive it's the pied piper effect. One negative comment and all the following expats feel they have to join in with the negativity. Lots of cliques and mutual back slapping on here. I firmly belive it is only this forum that is so negative, when I meet other expats here there is no sense of the vitriol which is displayed on here. As someone said easy to hide and say things being a anonymous forum, easy to bully and try to segregate people to suit there agenda.

Thank You...

I see more negativity everywhere these days. People tend not to talk about the good things but only about the things they don't like, and with everybody talking about anything these days on social media, that effect gets reinforced time and time again.

I see more negativity everywhere these days. People tend not to talk about the good things but only about the things they don't like, and with everybody talking about anything these days on social media, that effect gets reinforced time and time again.

When the reality is, life for many is vastly improved from what it was just a century ago.

I think if you changed the question to Are foreigners on Thai visa more negative than people in their home country?, the answer

would be a resounding yes.

However many other foreigners who I know in the real world are generally very positive people.

This site has many toxic people on it, but obviously is a great source of information if you have the patience to cut through all the rubbish.

Personally , I love Thailand and the freedom it offers as opposed to the UK .

Thailand freedom?

you must kidinng?

You have freedom buy and sell/ own any property in Thailand even land?

You have freedom own you company( ligal) in Thailand?

You have freedom bild car and esy and cheap registr? import almost any car what you want?

You have freedom choice for your children good education?

SO plese no make me smile...

You confuse impunity for violations of the laws, with freedom..

And many foreigners stay in Thailand ( and do not come back in home coutry) becouse of cheap p...sy..

I am not say all..

Also some becouse like violantions some laws , and in Thailand its can do more easy and chealer..