Do Thai's have a death wish?

worgeordie

Interesting comment i see about not using lights to save battery,my gf has the same idiotic idea and me being a biker of 45 years i keep telling her use the bleeden lights at all times,utoh she giving me the famous thai blank look again.

• Like 2

Yep, good post.

It's one of my pet concerns that many (the majority?) of Thai motorcyclists have no rear light and that the front light is obscured by a basket. I nearly collected one a couple of nights ago as I turned left from my small soi and even though I looked right, I just didn't see the ninja motorcyclist 100 meteres away with no front light (or rear light) and dressed in dark clothes hurtling towards me. Believe me, it was sheer luck that he swerved out of the way, just in time.

While we're on the subject it also pains me to see mum and dad on a motorcycle and a small child either standing on the front or squashed in between. Generally, all with no crash helmets.

These are all offences against Thai traffic regulations (yes, they do exist!) and although I often see police checkpoints with dismounted motocyclists looking glum knowing that they're going to have to pay a "no helmet" "fine", I can't remember a time when I've seen a Thai family (with a child) lined up for the same treatment! . Like Worgeordie, I don't know why the police choose to ignore the situation regarding rear and/or front lights, unless of course there's no "fine" attached for a first offence?

JL-T

I honestly believe Thai's have accepted the fact that they are going to die more than Westerners and are not that afraid of it.

a westerner will say sure we are going to die and then do every thing they can think of to prolong life. In many cases they don't have to think of it the nanny state does it for them. Remember the Thai's for the most part are Buddhists and believe in reincarnation.

What bothers me is not their lack of fear but that they will put my life in danger as I do walk a lot.

• Like 1

It's just a lack of road education and survival. The ones that replace the white light with red at the front and the red at the back with any other color that really blow my mind.

Also the cars ,pickups with darkened lenses,the only drivers that

seem to get the message,are large truck drivers they are sometimes

festooned with lights,of all colours.

regards Worgeordie

To me this is an issue of no consequences for Thais.

By this I mean if they die (my wife and siblings) earnestly believe that they will have a next life. I on the other hand see "game over". This is a huge belief gulf (in my family).

For me it's the same when young Thais suicide over failed relationships at a rate I never observed in the west. Again the family do not see this as an "escape" from the suffering but rather a "reset" so you can have a better chance "next life".

My family do think my game over belief is totally absurd though......cannot grasp that at all.

I guess it's fate verses fatalism.

Forethought of grief...

It doesn't exist in a chicken's mentality, nor does it exist in a deer's. There is no forethought of grief in any animal... nor, it would seem in the way of thinking of most Thais.

99% of the time this is a very good thing. It makes a harsh life pleasant. That other 1% makes them dead.

Go local buy a heap of amulets and you have divine protection get a few of the correct tattos and you can drive as fast as you want. Get your car fingerpainted with magical symbols in gold paint.....you dont even have to be afraid of bullets

I have a Thai Mechanic friend with a workshop and i once said to him that he should check all rear lights and fit a new bulb if required. He said ''I used to do that but when they see a bulb on the bill (10 Baht) they tell me they don't want it and i should take it out again ''

I asked him if it had occurred to him that he could fit them and disguise the 10 Baht on the bill as part of another charge ? I was met with a blank look, so i decided not to progress the discussion from there on.

I have a Thai Mechanic friend with a workshop and i once said to him that he should check all rear lights and fit a new bulb if required. He said ''I used to do that but when they see a bulb on the bill (10 Baht) they tell me they don't want it and i should take it out again ''

I asked him if it had occurred to him that he could fit them and disguise the 10 Baht on the bill as part of another charge ? I was met with a blank look, so i decided not to progress the discussion from there on.

No surprise here, why spend 10 baht ... end of story,

I nag my wife to check the brake light works. She wonders why I bother with that unnecessary detail... oh well.

• Like 1

Was at the Lanna Hospital this afternoon visiting friend in ICU cleaned up on a car verses mc.

I left at shift changeover at dusk to see a gaggle of ER and ICU nurses leaving sans helmet straight on to the freeway. Only head protection was hairpins.

They have the knowledge and nurse the victims. Accidents are seen as an occupational hazard of Thainess rather than something that can be prevented or mitigated.

No doubt they will also complain about the extra Songkran workload. It must be a tremendous financial strain on families where a person sustains permanent incapacitation rather than death yet the body count will be rolled out again shortly with CM featuring prominently once more. So much for moderation and the middle path.

And worse for me...no one thinks of the children orphaned behind..inexcusable and hardly Buddhist right thinking.

Edited by mamborobert

Isn't this just an old rehashed topic?

Lack of a properly run DMV office in conjunction with driver training, regulatory enforcement and legal consequences for non-conformists...

And yes a nanny state for some things work pretty damn well...

CB

Those are the conditions where I lived. I am not looking for them here. I know the risk and take care to avoid it. Where as back home many people just assume the government will take care of them.

In a round about explanation for my point of view is a saying I had heard. Maybe here on Thai Visa

" Westerners live to work and Thais work to live." Crude but it means a lot to me.

To be fair though I have to admit I come from a generation where we could enjoy a card board box for a day of playing. Definitely not the case with this or the last generation or two.