RC Airplanes

New to ThaiVisa. I did a forum search but must recent on RC model was like 2012. I will be retiring to Thailand within the next few months and have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer for me.

1) In the aircraft FM frequency spectrum is the 72 MHZ allowed for use in Thailand and if so are there any channel limitations

2) Are the newer 2.4 GHZ Spread Spectrum frequency hopping radios allowed

3) I will be purchasing some new engines. Considering gasoline due to the price of glow fuel and likely availability from a local standpoint in the Amnat Charoen area. Are there any Hobby Shops in the 100km range of Amnat Charoen area.

4) Anyone flying or clubs in this area

5) Any requirement for liability insurance

Appreciate all info that can be provided.

I cannot answer your questions about hobby shops in the Amnat Charoen area as I live in Pattaya but considering how popular R/C is in Thailand I would think you will find a shop within the 100km. range. In any case you could always buy from Bangkok or even import from Hong Kong or Singapore. A lot of the flyers in Pattaya use Hobbyking in HK. There are also the Chineese sites that are also used.

As for your inquiry about frequency, I think the 2.4 range ( Spectrum, JR, Futaba etc. ) are the most popular now as they avoid more than one person flying on the same frequency as another. Having said that, the 72 MHZ and even 35 MHZ are still used, without any channel limitations. There are no hard and fast rules here although it would pay to enquire at the club you are going to use just in case. I don't know of anyone in this area who has liability insurance.

Hope that helps?

Noted and thanks very much for your reply. Any thoughts or comments on gas versus glow engines? O.S. has a gas glow engine suitable for 60 size planes but quite expensive at near $400 USD. Personally I think it would pay for itself in fuel savings. Glow fuel is running average $20+ USD per gal for 10% nitromethane. Is the nitro mix used in Thailand or the 0% FAI?

Noted and thanks very much for your reply. Any thoughts or comments on gas versus glow engines? O.S. has a gas glow engine suitable for 60 size planes but quite expensive at near $400 USD. Personally I think it would pay for itself in fuel savings. Glow fuel is running average $20+ USD per gal for 10% nitromethane. Is the nitro mix used in Thailand or the 0% FAI?

You can get popular glow fuels here like Coolmax and Wildcat, but they are more expensive due to import duties. I pay 25 USD for a gallon of 15% Wildcat. Klotz additives and a wide selection of fuels are available, and you can save by ordering from Bangkok by the case. Mark up at local shops is sometimes quite steep.

I also fly gas but I hate the smell it puts in your clothes. Even when using 100LL Avgas, there is still that lingering odor from the lubricant. I also don't like the added vibration of the gas engines, but the OS engine has high reviews. Am still trying to decide if gas is worth it, but the simplicity of the glow engines is still a big draw for me.

Again I'm afraid I cannot help you with the qualities of gas over nitro as I only fly electric but I did think of something after I posted my last reply.

Although there are few restrictions here in Thailand there is one thing to be aware of when flying big gas planes and that is the noise!

We have had quite a few complaints about the noise from early morning flying both at the council owned site and at a private airfield.

Also remember that some Thai people tend to fly the same as they drive! That is without concern for anyone else out there!

Best of luck.

• 2 months later...

Hi all Im retiring soon my wife and I will be living around sakhon nakhon it's we're she is from.I have a collection of sailplanes 3 to 4 meter wingspan also 3 power planes Im wondering if I can ship them with the household stuff or should I leave them in Arizona at our property there.perhaps I should just bring my radio recivers and a bunch of servos in my checked baggage when we fly over then order some new planes from china Im flying the 2.4 sys anyone flying around sakhon nakhon?

• 3 weeks later...

1.) You can pretty much use whatever frequency you have, authorities are not strict like in the West, you will not get fined.

2.) Pretty much everyone is on 2.4ghz now, even cheap Chinese branded radio are all 2.4ghz, can be bought for around 1500 baht.

3.) If you can locate hobby shop around your area, availability is not so much of an issue, its mostly the price and engine size you will be using. Don't know of any in your area.

4.)

5.) No liability insurance, just as long as you pay for the damage yourself, or you can choose to run away

There are local RC Airplane magazines at local bookstore, you can try calling the shops advertised in the magazine to see if they can ship the fuel. Many shops will also send parts/planes/etc by ems to your house.

I've bought small planes from www.hobbyking.com before, I believe they are based in HK, fast shipping and customs tax was reasonable.

Edited by mike324

The only decent hobby shops for RC airplane gear are in Bangkok... I buy most stuff from Hong Kong mail order houses like hobbyking [dot] com or from US distributors...

Edited by Loptr