Mobile Phone Sim Card Upgrading Begins Today

sriracha john

MOBILE PHONES NEW 10-DIGIT SYSTEM

SIM upgrading begins today

Mobile phone users can start upgrading their SIM cards for the new 10-digit numbers free of charge from today at all operators' shops nationwide. They have until Nov 30 to upgrade the cards, or they will not be able to receive incoming calls. DTAC customers can get their numbers updated at 23 DTAC service halls and 312 shops countrywide. Those using Symbian phones can update their cards themselves at www.dtac.co.th or www.happy.co.th and download the ''Add 8'' programme. They can also call the 1678 DTAC call centre or send an SMS to 7099. A total of 32 million mobile phone users, both pre-paid and post-paid, will have to add an 8 in the middle of the existing two-digit prefix to make mobile-to-mobile calls. Numbers starting with 01, 09 and 06 will become 081, 089 and 086.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/01Sep2006_news03.php

Yes, you will have to update your simcard by November 30th.

Apparently AIS users can dial *184# and send.

You then connect automatically to mobile life download and can download an update.

I just tried but was told that my telephone (Nokia 6230) doesn't support that service so I guess i'll have to visit the Serenade Club somewhere.

:D Thanks for the link, when I went to the site it was all in Thai with no option to translate to English! never mind, I'll go to the shop tomorrow.

yes, that's true... AIS website mentioned in the article is "same same", only in Thai. :D

This rather confusing as previous reports (confirmed by our IT dept) is you don't need to upgrade the SIM to receive or make calls, you only optionally need to get your phonebook changed to add the 8 to mobile numbers in it.

TH

I was under the same impression myself, but apparently SIM cards need updating so that people can call you... :o which is why I thought it significant to post the news article.

Yes, you will have to update your simcard by November 30th.

Apparently AIS users can dial *184# and send.

You then connect automatically to mobile life download and can download an update.

I just tried but was told that my telephone (Nokia 6230) doesn't support that service so I guess i'll have to visit the Serenade Club somewhere.

Yes, DTAC offers a similar service via SMS also, but ONLY if you have the proper handset to handle it... otherwise, it's off to the shops to update... myself included... :D

So it's really not as simple as going through your directory and simply slotting an extra '8' after the first '0'?

Do we really need to do something fancy in shops or online?

It would seem so. Plugging in the 8 on your phonebook entries would allow you to call out, but you need to go to the shops to update your SIM card so that you can handle the received calls when people have added an 8 to your number.

but then, I might be wrong, I don't even know what a "Symbian" phone is. :o

No upgrade of SIM is required, the services offered on the websites, or if you visit the Dtac/12call office, are to upgrade the phonebook in your phone so that you do not have to add an 8 to each individual nummber you have saved there. Both incoming and outgoing calls can be made using the "old" numbers until the end of October when you will need to have updated to the 08 to get connected.

I'd have to say I think this is incorrect, but I could be wrong. I manually changed all the numbers in my address book last week, and have been calling people using the 8, and I have not had a single problem with anyone recieving my calls.

When my wife called DTAC, she was told that she could come to have her address book updated, but that nothing needed to be done with the Sim itself. People have called me using the 8, and I have recieved their calls as well, with no problems, and no updating.

Very mysterious!!!

ok, ok.... did a quick look... It's some new fancy-pancy operating system for some ultra-modern handsets...

And thanks to this OS your mobile is receptable to viruses like your computer running the leading operating system on this world :o

I'd have to say I think this is incorrect, but I could be wrong. I manually changed all the numbers in my address book last week, and have been calling people using the 8, and I have not had a single problem with anyone recieving my calls.

When my wife called DTAC, she was told that she could come to have her address book updated, but that nothing needed to be done with the Sim itself. People have called me using the 8, and I have recieved their calls as well, with no problems, and no updating.

Very mysterious!!!

yes, quite...

I can receive calls now when the 8 is plugged in... but will I still be able to receive them once the grace period ends in November if I haven't updated the SIM? :o

Market leader Advanced Info Service (AIS) said its customers can upgrade their SIM cards via www.ais.co.th/10digits. Alternatively, they can have their cards updated at 600 AIS shops and 200 mobile caravans in communities in remote areas.

How on earth can you update a sim card merely by logging on to a web site ? :o

Naka.

No upgrade of SIM is required, the services offered on the websites, or if you visit the Dtac/12call office, are to upgrade the phonebook in your phone so that you do not have to add an 8 to each individual nummber you have saved there. Both incoming and outgoing calls can be made using the "old" numbers until the end of October when you will need to have updated to the 08 to get connected.

Yes, I think PREM-R is correct here ... The service offered is simply to update

all the entries in your phone book. I guess some people could have hundreds.

Nothing to do with the sim as such.

Naka.

Edited by naka

ok, ok.... did a quick look... It's some new fancy-pancy operating system for some ultra-modern handsets...

And thanks to this OS your mobile is receptable susceptible to viruses like your computer running the leading operating system on this world :o

oh great.... :D that figures... :D

probably receive countless spam via SMS as well...

I knew there was a reason to stay with the antique phones.... :D

*apologies for inserting the presumed proper word above* :D

Market leader Advanced Info Service (AIS) said its customers can upgrade their SIM cards via www.ais.co.th/10digits. Alternatively, they can have their cards updated at 600 AIS shops and 200 mobile caravans in communities in remote areas.

How on earth can you update a sim card merely by logging on to a web site ? :o

Naka.

Do you have to hold the mobile phone against the side of the CPU case or the monitor?

From the "Horses Mouth"

DTAC confirms its readiness to help more than 10 million mobile users to convert their phone numbers from 9 to 10 digits from September 1 onwards.

Sunti Medhavikul, DTAC’s Chief Customer Officer, said the company has invested around Bt40 million to ensure efficient number conversion service at DTAC Shops and DTAC Service Halls nationwide.

“DTAC has been working on technical process and been testing switching and billing systems to ensure smooth transition to the new dialing scheme. Starting from September 1 onwards, DTAC customers can get their phone book updated at 23 DTAC Service Halls and 312 DTAC Shops nationwide. In addition, we will set up service booths at various locations including business buildings in Bangkok and perimeters to make it convenient for those who don’t have time to visit our shops. For customers in upcountry, apart from walking into our shops and service centers, customers can get assistance from our DTAC vans, which will be fully equipped with necessary equipment and well-trained staff, to help them convert their numbers. The vans will be running around local community centers such as universities and governmental offices throughout the 3-month grace period,” said Sunti.

For walk-in customers, the special service counter will help convert customers' phone numbers and update all numbers kept in their phone books both in SIM and in handsets from 9 to 10 digits. DTAC has developed a program to automatically update all numbers in the phonebook and also switch numbers in message center to enable SMS to work under the 10 digit system. It will take about 2-3 minutes for each customer to complete the process.

“The software is intelligent enough to convert only mobile phone numbers while leaving the rest, be they fixed line or overseas numbers, intact,” said Sunti.

Customers using Symbian phones can also update their own phonebook by visiting either www.dtac.co.th or www.happy.co.th and download the ’10 Digits Converter’ program, which will help them convert the numbers. Alternatively, customers can call 1678 DTAC Call Center to text them the URL so that they can download the program via DTAC’s GRPS/EDGE network.

Apart from preparing for the system readiness, DTAC has also trained its customer service staff both at DTAC Service Halls and DTAC shops nationwide to switch customers' phone numbers from 9 to 10 digits and update all numbers kept in their phone books.

At the same time, DTAC has trained DTAC Call Center’s staffs to advise and answer all inquires about the to-be-used numbering system.

During the grace period from September 1 - November 30, DTAC customers can rest assured that they can still use their mobile phones as usual, both for domestic and international calls. Incoming overseas calls can still be received at the old 9 digit numbers.

With the implementation of 10 digits number, DTAC ensures that there would be no problem in billing system for postpaid customers. This is because the company has prepared to send bills with 10 digits numbers specified after the numbers are converted.

Ok, gentlemen. What about those of us that have a thai sim card in there phone, but won't return to Thailand until after the conversion. Do we need to wait until our return, do we add an 8 now and hope it works, do we???? Regards, BD

From reading the thread.. it would seem that this is nothing to do with the Sim card, but rather the phone companies will help people change the current numbers stored on their sims to the new format.

Please read the post above yours !

totster :o

For customers in upcountry, apart from walking into our shops and service centers, customers can get assistance from our DTAC vans, which will be fully equipped with necessary equipment and well-trained staff, to help them convert their numbers.

What about customers out of country who return to LOS after 30 November?

I assume they can convert their phonebook themselves to ensure the phone works when they return to LOS or am I missing something?

I see now Blue Dragon asked the same.

Edited by meom

Looking quickly at the downloadable java program, for some non symbian phones, from AIS, it's clear that Bangkok Post's use of the word upgrade is unwise.

The existing SIM is not changed in any way, the only amendment made is to the relevent phone numbers held on the SIM and, hence the individual nature of the java program, the numbers held on the handset. So if you only have a few numbers, it's probably just as easy to edit them yourself.

Regards

/edit/

If you are outside Thailand your options are :-

Edit the Thai numbers manually

Check the websites of the provider to see if they offer a downloadable program for your phone [assuming you have a data cable/bluetooth etc. to connect your phone to the computer] i.e. http://203.150.230.125/activities/10digit/how.html

In principal the by SMS option 'should' work internationally [note I said should]

/end edit/

Edited by A_Traveller