Mobile Phone Sim Card Upgrading Begins Today

sriracha john

Ok, gentlemen. What about those of us that have a thai sim card in there phone, but won't return to Thailand until after the conversion. Do we need to wait until our return, do we add an 8 now and hope it works, do we???? Regards, BD

From reading the thread.. it would seem that this is nothing to do with the Sim card, but rather the phone companies will help people change the current numbers stored on their sims to the new format.

Please read the post above yours !

totster :D

yes... the DTAC Ad link in my post just above yours, bluedragon, will certainly help you to feel better about the confusion. :o

--------------------------------------------------------------------

but.. IF it doesn't have anything to do with the SIM card... and people don't have to "really" do anything at the shops, they {the paper and their quotes of AIS and DTAC} really don't convey that message:

They have until Nov 30 to upgrade the cards, or they will not be able to receive incoming calls.

It's amazing they could get it so wrong, IF they did.

The press and the media here only very rarely make such mistakes.

Edited by sriracha john

With all sincerity, it doesn't take much to befuddle me sometimes with electronics.

The confusion is genuine. Any side-table humor is simply an attempt to lessen it so.

Certainly, I'm going to end up going to the DTAC shop to sort things out, irregardless of what we learn here.

I do think I'm not alone in the confusion about what procedures people will/could/should/might do.

eg. Jayenram? you got this sorted yet? :D

*edit* ...and that's not to just say I have to go to the DTAC shop, but they have nice helpers so why not?? :o

Edited by sriracha john

Reading about this, I believe the service offered by AIS Dtac etc is mainly

aimed at business users who may have hundreds of clients/contacts on their

phones and do not fancy spending half a day changing all their numbers.

Folks with a few dozen will just make the changes manually.

Naka.

LC has just looked here www.ais.co.th/10digits

She says..

hmm.. looks like old sims will be fine. but phonebook needs to be updated. either by yourself (manually),or go down the shop and they'll update it for you or download program on that website to help update phonebook. You can update it now but from 1-Dec-06 onwards, 9 digit numbers for mobiles will not be recognised anymore

Read this news bulletin:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81394