5 year Drivers License on 1 year Multi-Entry Business Visa?

STUDMEYER

Hey All,

I've renewed my 1 year now for 3 years in a row on a tourist visa. It's not a huge tragedy, but it was a PITA - It expired on me while I was traveling and had to take the bus like common folk for a bit... facepalm.gifThis year I will have a multi-entry business visa and I'm wondering if that will open up an opportunity for the fabled 5 year drivers license.

Just curious if its been done before, or can be done at all. First hand experiences appreciated.

Thank you for your comments smile.png

Rgs,

SM

No problem as long as you had the one year previously.

I did mine about 20 years ago on Samui. Back then foreigners were only given one year.

My licence then expired and I didn't renew it for a few years.

Went for a renewal In 2011 in CNX and was given a 5 year/

I have a multiple entry Non-B visa and just changed my 1 year license for a 5 year license at Chiang Mai. Very simple - it only took a few minutes because I did it the day before the old license expired. If the previous license has already expired - they told me you have to do the colour blind eyesight + reaction tests again. All you need is your old license, passport with 1 year visa, medical letter from hospital and the confirmation of address document which is from immigration or your embassy/consulate.

I have a multiple entry Non-B visa and just changed my 1 year license for a 5 year license at Chiang Mai. Very simple - it only took a few minutes because I did it the day before the old license expired. If the previous license has already expired - they told me you have to do the colour blind eyesight + reaction tests again. All you need is your old license, passport with 1 year visa, medical letter from hospital and the confirmation of address document which is from immigration or your embassy/consulate.

If the previous license has already expired - they told me you have to do the colour blind eyesight + reaction tests again.

Good to hear. I thought the tests are mandatory.

Well that all sounds positive. I will report back once I have gone through the machinations of getting my res. certificate and try this out.

Plan is, I'll swing by the drivers building and ask the girl there for the latest requirements. Last time she gave me a nice piece of paper that detailed everything i needed. Get all those boxes checked and go for it.

I think it's all down to the discretion of the office you apply at.

In Roi Et province the'll issue a 1 year on a Tourist Visa and a 5 year on a single entry Non Imm O Visa.

Yes, this is Thailand, every office, in any field, just make up their own rules.

Why does Thailand even bother to have a government, as every IO, driving

licence office, government dept of any kind, do the governing for them.

Renewing a drivers licence at Chiang Mai is a piece of cake, you should have no problem.

Just don't show up at the DMV wearing shorts...

Or no pants at all!

Every time I've been there has been with flipflops and shorts (but collared shirt) and it was a piece of cake.

Though, yesterday I do notice a sign in English stating that it was a government building and appropriate dress is required.

Whatever that is...

• 2 weeks later...

As promised here's my report

On Thursday, went to the immigration office near the promenada. Went to guy in orange shirt in room 4 near copy machines. Gave them 2 photos, a copy of passport and VISA w entry stamp page, a letter from the condo manager. Paid 500 baht they said come back the next day between 1pm and 4pm. 15 minutes in and out, easy peasy. No same day or VIP servica available.

Got my medical done that afternoon.

Went to the DMV and got the paper from the girl at the info desk about what I needed to renew my (expired 1 year) license:

- res certificate or yellow book

- copy of passport w visa stamp

- medical certificate

Asked if i had to re-do the written tests - no

She saw my non-imm multi entry business visa and asked me if I was OK with a 5 year. Yes please!

Friday went to immigration at noon an hour before pick up time. Sat in front of window #2 the guy asked me forward, i gave him the slip he gave me my res certficate. If i have to do this again ill go first thing AM. Window 2 was always clear and im fairly certain all the res certificates are completed by the girl sitting beside the guy at desk #4 at the time they are dropped off.

So with res cert in hand i rushed to the DMV arrived at 12:20, and handed everything to the girl at the info desk. Went to desk 28 with my paperwork and they did a quick colour test with me then stamped my paperwork. Went back to info desk and they told me the que was full for the day. I protested gently because of the songkran holiday next week i would have to wait, they made an exception and told me to come back at 5 pm and wait for the last que number to be served.

Came back at 3:30, watched over 100 peiple get their DLs, waited for 370 to be called then went to desk 23 and was served immediately.

Sidenote: i have dual nationality. My original 1 year DL was on a different passport with tourist visa. This time i used my other passport with business visa. 2 minutes explanation and they changed my country and passport number on my license. Easy peasy.

Walked out of the DMV at 5 pm with 2 new shiny 5 year Drivers licenses.

Rgs,

SM