How to get affidavit to marry from U.S Embassy in Bangkok

You need to go onto the embassy website and make an appointment for (Notary services). This is who puts the seal on your affidavit to marry. If you were married before you will need to bring supporting documents showing that you are divorced or widowed. Seal cost is $50 USD per seal if you was married before you will receive two affidavits, one seal each. You can pay with debit or charge card. I'm suggesting you also call TSL & Associates David Lam 087-595-4918. They do the translating you will need done. They also can do all the paperwork and bring you to the correct places to make your marriage complete. My wife and I used them , very nice people and we were married in 4hrs. If I remember right the cost was 11,500 baht. I think it was worth the price for no headaches.

11500 b seems kinda high. Its been awhile since I did it. However I would look for an all Thai servive that does it. Whenever a farang is attatched to do anything for you they often charge a farang sized fee. Not always, but mostly. I think I paid around 3000

I did this at US Embassy last November. Did not have to have any divorce papers from previous marriage. Cost $100 for 2 notary seals. Had them translated and certified at Chaengwattana. Total cost was less than 2000 baht, plus taxi fare. Take papers to any Amphurs office, pay 20 baht to register and you are married. No ceremony involved.

If you plan to travel back to USA after I suggest fiancé visa and marry in USA. WAIT time for her visa is quite different.

Sure you can get fiancé visa. If you go that route I hope you're not planing on leaving anytime soon though.

Do I need to bring any other papers with me other than my passport? Like proof of income? Or signature from boss confirming employment?

No you don't need any other documents other than your passport to obtain the affidavit. Unless you were married before, then you need to bring papers showing you are not married.

DepDavid

A friend of mine is just coming on 12 months since he filed the 129F with the USCIS in the States for his fiancee here. Her visa appointment is schedule for next week, finally.

Mac

Oh not a surprise to me. My sister-in-law waited for just over 1yr for a visa BASED on marriage! AND had to pay twice. She finally got her visa and now is in America.

• 2 weeks later...

I married my Thai wife in beginning of Jan. of this year.Gathered up all

the paperwork ,and filed the start process of the I-130 with the USCIS

on Jan 21 of 2015. We have just received notification to come in for

the verbal interview on April 21. So three months for the entire process

when done here in Thailand, from first paperwork submitted, to visa in

hand ( hopefully ). I made the decision to marry first instead of the

fiancee route as it simply made more sense to me. You show up already

married which shows commitment, versus saying give her a visa, and I

promise to marry this Thai woman when we get to America.. Plus hard

to beat the cost of a marriage here of 40 baht.... :-)

Did all the paperwork myself, is pretty easy. Every story I
have heard of from people using a law office say it takes much longer, think the

law office drags it out to justify their 100,000 baht fee. Which is sort of funny

as all they are doing is checking paperwork. They have no pull whatsoever

once the documents are submitted.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

You need to go onto the embassy website and make an appointment for (Notary services). This is who puts the seal on your affidavit to marry. If you were married before you will need to bring supporting documents showing that you are divorced or widowed. Seal cost is $50 USD per seal if you was married before you will receive two affidavits, one seal each. You can pay with debit or charge card. I'm suggesting you also call TSL & Associates David Lam 087-595-4918. They do the translating you will need done. They also can do all the paperwork and bring you to the correct places to make your marriage complete. My wife and I used them , very nice people and we were married in 4hrs. If I remember right the cost was 11,500 baht. I think it was worth the price for no headaches.

Thanks that's what I ended up doing paid the same amount and everything was done really fast.

• 4 months later...

Thanks TV members for the good information. One more question for you that I didn't see addressed here. If I get the first appointment of the day at the US Embassy to get the affidavit notarized, then hustle to get it translated, will I be able to get the form with approval completed from the Ministry of Affairs all in one day?

Cheers