Floor tile quality

Benjie

I had some tiles delivered and had my builder install them, we've used the exact same tiles - same grade - same colour (but different colour code) before and been very happy.

So we ordered these from, they were a little more expensive than before - which is fine. not an expensive tile (for out here) but not a cheap tile either (I think like 299 baht a square metre maybe a little more)

My builder installed them and asked me to come take a look, around half of the tiles have very strong blEmishes - the floor looks like its got marks all over it.

When we called the store they said this was the quality to expect?

I'm fuming half have already been laid, no one would install them in their house over other offerings at the same price.

post-85618-0-89585100-1427711834_thumb.j

post-85618-0-41926000-1427711855_thumb.j

post-85618-0-08838600-1427711875_thumb.j

post-85618-0-76305800-1427711891_thumb.j

post-85618-0-13224500-1427711926_thumb.j

The builder installed them and then told you??

Worst case scenario, rip them up, buy a new lot, check them before leaving the store and start again.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Yup, been there and done that! 80 square metres of B Grade from Home M**t and no two tiles were exactly the same, fortunately not my home. The only answer is to spend more money on all A Grade tiles, the alternatives merely allows the tile companies to recoup some cost of poor production.

They were delivered by the store, exact same tiles we'd had before which were flawless. Builder didn't notice until cleaned afterwards (it's low light and he's getting on a bit).

Staff at Home Sukkapan saying this is what we should expect, even though we've bought hundreds of boxes of tiles from them before with no problems.

It's probably too late to take them up, the concrete's been raised to place them on. I need to finish the house fairly quickly now and I'm sure they wouldn't take the smashed tiles back.

Maybe a younger builder who would notice the flaws before installing them is in order?

No he's been excellent in everything else, worked with us for 18 months, normally very tight - everyone makes mistakes.

The blame lies solely with the seller/manufacturer trying to get away with giving me what IMO are junk tiles. no-one would purposely install those in a house.

They are supposed to be Grade 2 - B Grade - same as I have all over the house.

post-85618-0-76305800-1427711891.jpg

Or it is C -grade, which mean this is exactly what to expect, or the builder doesn't know his job, but if my house had tiles laid that way I would smash them all.

Or it is C -grade, which mean this is exactly what to expect, or the builder doesn't know his job, but if my house had tiles laid that way I would smash them all.

I see they have not only marks, but also cuts, and they don't line up.

• Like 1

Dear oh dear 80m2 at a 299bt cheap tile rate....ouch

I remember spending 17k at exactly the same price.

I was warned that grade B are like seconds but nevertheless when home pro delivered to me I opened every box they brought before I accepted.

I wasnt checking for colour imperfections i was checking for cracked tiles.

My seconds were perfect thankfully.

And thats the lesson to you.....ok i have been in construction many years and you learn to reject the bent piece of wood; the ripped bag of cement; ....and the broken tiles BEFORE you accept them.

In your position if i cant blame myself for not being there to accept them I would without doubt lay full responsibilty on whoever was in charge or the tiler.

Seconds are a much higher standard than you have. Can you manipulate passing the cost? If not for the sake of 24k bht just write it off to experience; sack the builder and tiler without a second thought and start again.

On starting again you have 2 options....opt for grade A or take control and check quality on delivery of a grade B.

Ps.open every pack regardlrss to check for breakages.

• Like 1

I would actually suggest the builder & supplier scammed you.

Supplier gave him really low quality seconds, he agreed to install so they can't be returned, and they split the profit 50/50.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Supplier gave him really low quality seconds, he agreed to install so they can't be returned, and they split the profit 50/50.

I know anyway, just couldn't be there for those days and had these exact tiles before.

No the builder is my handyman

I bought the tiles myself from Home Sukkapan, they were identical to ones I've used for the rest of my house except a slightly different colour - we've been more than happy with all the tiles we've bought from them before but these are awful.

No doubt you believe the moon landing was filmed in a Hollywood also!

No doubt you believe the moon landing was filmed in a Hollywood also!

Everyone knows that.

Capricorn One is the truth.

Without wanting to castigate the tiler; this is also another typical characteristic of grade B/C tiles. sizing uniformity leaves a lot to be desired. just 1 or 2mm difference gives you that result on tight joints.

you can mitigate it by opening the joint a tad.

Goes from bad to worse doesn't it.

Its done! look forward not back

Without wanting to castigate the tiler; this is also another typical characteristic of grade B/C tiles. sizing uniformity leaves a lot to be desired. just 1 or 2mm difference gives you that result on tight joints.

you can mitigate it by opening the joint a tad.

Goes from bad to worse doesn't it.

Its done! look forward not back

I don't mind slight uniformity issues or slight blemish's which is what I expected, I'm willing to live with those. I don't need it perfect.

But these are really heavy noticeable blemishes, I don't know how they can even sell them, maybe OK for for a closet or something but who would knowingly install these happy in their purchase? I've bought 50 sqm of this exact tile before and it was fine, not a single blemish actually, which is why this is such a shock.

I was warned that grade B are like seconds but nevertheless when home pro delivered to me I opened every box they brought before I accepted.

And thats the lesson to you.....ok i have been in construction many years and you learn to reject the bent piece of wood; the ripped bag of cement; ....and the broken tiles BEFORE you accept them.

In your position if i cant blame myself for not being there to accept them I would without doubt lay full responsibilty on whoever was in charge or the tiler.

Seconds are a much higher standard than you have. Can you manipulate passing the cost? If not for the sake of 24k bht just write it off to experience; sack the builder and tiler without a second thought and start again.

On starting again you have 2 options....opt for grade A or take control and check quality on delivery of a grade B.

Half of the tiles in my house are these same brand/make/type/grade - I bought those earlier and was very happy with them, not a single blemish.

If I take these ones up, they don't sell the same in a Grade 1 as far as I can make out, These weren't cheap tiles I bought out the back they are literally the first line of tiles as you walk into Home Sukkapan. I'm going in tomorrow but looks like smashing this lot up, getting the ones I haven't laid yet refunded and going elsewhere to try and buy the same tile in Grade 1.

Or I keep the ones laid replace the ones not yet laid with grade A and just try and take up the worst ones. Money's tight and I'm not sure how I'd feel smashing up all that concrete and tile from an ecological viewpoint, it seems a waste. I might just buy a big rug to cover all of the tiles, lol.

I have once bought 70 sqm of cotto tiles on sale from Homepro, it turned out that less than 10 sqm wasn't damaged. I had all the damaged lot replaced and inspected every single tile on delivery, and rejected all but 15 sqm because they all had broken tips and cracks.

I then went to Homemart who had the exact same tiles on sale at the same price, and bought 50 sqm from them, and had a total 3 tiles that were damaged.

Half of the tiles in my house are these same brand/make/type/grade - I bought those earlier and was very happy with them, not a single blemish.

If I take these ones up, they don't sell the same in a Grade 1 as far as I can make out, These weren't cheap tiles I bought out the back they are literally the first line of tiles as you walk into Home Sukkapan. I'm going in tomorrow but looks like smashing this lot up, getting the ones I haven't laid yet refunded and going elsewhere to try and buy the same tile in Grade 1.

Or I keep the ones laid replace the ones not yet laid with grade A and just try and take up the worst ones. Money's tight and I'm not sure how I'd feel smashing up all that concrete and tile from an ecological viewpoint, it seems a waste. I might just buy a big rug to cover all of the tiles, lol.

You can try to paint them, a signal green floor may be fashion in the future.biggrin.png

but not a cheap tile either (I think like 299 baht a square metre maybe a little more)

Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor, not cheap LOL.

Its all relative.

I can get perfectly good tiles for 150 baht a metre from the same shop, my Kitchen floor tiles were 189 baht from Homepro and look fantastic, my bathroom counter which is Cotto Homogenous 90x60cm tile that weigh a ton were only 5-600 baht and were extremely high quality.

Put it like this, I don't expect to spend 300 baht a sqm on tiles that look like they have about 5 years of wear when they are brand new. When there are hundreds of other identical style tiles available at that price or less that don't have heavy blemishes.

• Like 2

but not a cheap tile either (I think like 299 baht a square metre maybe a little more)

Its all relative.

I can get perfectly good tiles for 150 baht a metre from the same shop, my Kitchen floor tiles were 189 baht from Homepro and look fantastic, my bathroom counter which is Cotto Homogenous 90x60cm tile that weigh a ton were only 5-600 baht and were extremely high quality.

Put it like this, I don't expect to spend 300 baht a sqm on tiles that look like they have about 5 years of wear when they are brand new. When there are hundreds of other identical style tiles available at that price or less that don't have heavy blemishes.

Wait a year how the 189 Baht tiles will look after they have lost all the top coat/color where you walk frequently. Been there, got the T-shirt.

As for the Cotto homogenous tiles, I have them in 2 Bathrooms, one on the wall and the other on floor and wall. Never again.

Its all relative.

Wait a year how the 189 Baht tiles will look after they have lost all the top coat/color where you walk frequently. Been there, got the T-shirt.

As for the Cotto homogenous tiles, I have them in 2 Bathrooms, one on the wall and the other on floor and wall. Never again.

I don't mind if it's my wear and tear though, lol. I just don't want to buy tiles that look like they've had 5 years use already.

Any recommendations for tiles in the future then?

Its all relative.

I don't mind if it's my wear and tear though, lol. I just don't want to buy tiles that look like they've had 5 years use already.

Any recommendations for tiles in the future then?

the look as if they have been used for 5 years already is just a matter of a year difference.

As for tiles in the future, no I don't have any recommendations, because Thailand doesn't produce any quality tiles.

Cotto is one of the top brands, but even the grade AAA+ would not make a chance to be used in a horse stable in Europe.

These aren't what anyone would expect of B Grade Tiles or Grade 2 as they are written on the box.

No-one would willingly buy these, if this is the quality of the tiles, their display to help you choose what to buy should reflect this.

Home Sukkapan have come out to my house today and taken photos, I've also had a professional response by email from them. As I said we've bought from them before, many times and never had a problem with the quality of tiles. We shall see what they say.

These aren't what anyone would expect of B Grade Tiles or Grade 2 as they are written on the box. No-one would willingly buy these, if this is the quality of the tiles, their display to help you choose what to buy should reflect this. Home Sukkapan have come out to my house today and taken photos, I've also had a professional response by email from them. As I said we've bought from them before, many times and never had a problem with the quality of tiles. We shall see what they say.

Good luck with that.

I had 150 sqm of ivory white 60 x 60 tiles from Cergress. When laid an cleaned it showed that they had mixed different lots and packed them in boxes marked as the same lot.

So there were different shades all over.

Contacted Cergress and after long discussion they offered me 1 ( one- uno-nung) box for free.

I had to remove all the tiles as it was a horrible sight.