Anyone else experiencing delays with the US Embassy visa dept?

I applied for my wife and her 2 children for immigrant visas 8 months ago and having to return to the US for medical reasons, I retained a visa attorney to complete the process and my family has jumped through all the hoops [medical, police checks, and even passed interview] and they have passed all phases except for the legal custody of wife to bring her son to the US which simply involves the biological father to sign papers granting custody to wife in the presence of an embassy official. All this has been in place and several emails have been sent in an attempt to comply.

Biological father is living and working in BKK and is wanting to cooperate and sign papers at any time and the embassy has been notified of this.
Attorney has sent several emails to the Embassy requesting an appointment over the last 17 days and no reply yet from the Embassy, who have mostly been quite prompt in their replies.
Any ideas as to why this delay? Is anyone else experiencing same delays?
Thanks in advance for any info............

I cannot comment on the process for a US immigrant visa but the Thai wife of a friend applied for her US Tourist (visit) visa on 1st March, they had their interview on 25th March and she received her passport back on 27th with a 10-year multi-entry visa.

Another friend has been working for at least 3 years on getting his Thai wife her spouse (immigrant) visa. He lives and works in the US. They have their interview on 28th April.

Make sure you are using the correct email address: [email protected] As they are normally pretty good about responding.

Are you sure you need to have an appointment to go have the paper signed? I had to have my MOL sign an affidavit for a name change when we were getting our Visa and we just went in during ASC hours and she signed it, and then sent in the signed affidavit with the other docs they were requesting.

I think you did DCF if I remember correctly and 8 months is a long time, I just had another friend who started in Nov, and finished last week. No attorney or visa agent, they always slow down the process, at least everyone I know that used one took much longer than the DIY.

Just did a quick search and you can also have it signed at the district office:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/591452/iv/consent0112.pdf

Here is a link tot he PDF instructions and sample letter. This was also requested in your Packet 4 checklist before you went in for the interview, not sure why your Visa agent missed it. I would be asking for a refund or a partial refund.

Get it signed and send it in. I assume your wife got a 221-G with instructions on it.

Make sure you are using the correct email address: [email protected] As they are normally pretty good about responding.

Are you sure you need to have an appointment to go have the paper signed? I had to have my MOL sign an affidavit for a name change when we were getting our Visa and we just went in during ASC hours and she signed it, and then sent in the signed affidavit with the other docs they were requesting.

I think you did DCF if I remember correctly and 8 months is a long time, I just had another friend who started in Nov, and finished last week. No attorney or visa agent, they always slow down the process, at least everyone I know that used one took much longer than the DIY.

Aaron, think you may be right about not needing an appointment as the following is the wording of their last correspondence with us ..................

" Generally, the derivative IR-2 from the previous relationship must submit either the Child maintenance letter OR have the biological father show up at the Embassy to sign the consent letter in front of the Consular Officer. In your client’s situation, would the biological father be able to do this?"

No mention of an appointment, and, yes we are using the same email address.