Marriage Visa

my regular and informed visa-processing contact in Penang advises me i can obtain a type O visa with : original marriage certificate ( in Thai . No translated version necessary ) , photocopy of wife's Thai ID card/ passport and an original certificate of her registered address . can anyone confirm this ? Because other sources advise i must show

evidence of incoming funds from overseas ( 400,000 Baht ) . To the external visa issuing consulate ? Or to Thai immigration Bangkok upon the 12 month extension ?

proof of employment , work permit , tax records . None of which i have . I'm...erm... retired. Sort of thing ...

Thanks

Ray

Do as outlined and request a single entry non immigrant O visa on the basis of your marriage (you do not have to mention retirement at all). This should be issued with your wife there having an ID card to show - be sure to take marriage certificate and a copy with you as well as photos. This allows a 90 day stamp on entry.

If there is any problem you can obtain a tourist visa (60 day entry) and as long as you apply before it is below 21 days stay remaining in country you can change category to non immigrant O at immigration and then start the extension process from that.

You will make the decision to use "support Thai wife" or "retirement" at the extension of stay stage.

my regular and informed visa-processing contact in Penang advises me i can obtain a type O visa with : original marriage certificate ( in Thai . No translated version necessary ) , photocopy of wife's Thai ID card/ passport and an original certificate of her registered address . can anyone confirm this ? Because other sources advise i must show

evidence of incoming funds from overseas ( 400,000 Baht ) . To the external visa issuing consulate ? Or to Thai immigration Bangkok upon the 12 month extension ?

proof of employment , work permit , tax records . None of which i have . I'm...erm... retired. Sort of thing ...

Thanks

Ray

List of Documents for Extension of stay Based on support of a Thai national

1. Copy of Household Registration of Thai Wife.

2. Copy of Identification Card of Thai Wife.

3. Copy of Marriage Certificate

Remark : Please Bring all Originals and copies

List of Documents for Marriage Visa (Thai Wife)

1. Application form TM 7 with 2x2 inch square photo’s attached.

2. Application fee Baht 1,900.

3. A valid passport.

4. Copy of Marriage Certificate.

5. Clarification of Marital Status before Marriage.

6. Letter from Thai Bank stating that your account has no less than Baht 400,000 balance or letter of guarantee of pension income from your Embassy. Making an annual sum of no less than Baht 400,000 Baht.

7. An up-to-date Bank book.

Letter from the bank stating when the funds arrived and a letter from the bank stating the current bank balance. Both letters must no be more than 72 hours old when applying for the extension.

8. Family certificate of I.D. Card and Household of Thai Wife.

9. Copy of birth certificates of children. (if any)

10. Photo of place of residence. ( must show house’s number)

11. Map of place of residence and telephone.

12. If under the age of 50 and working, a letter of guarantee from your employer.

13. Pictures of your wives clothes and your clothes in the same closet, picture of you and your wife on a living room sofa and a picture of the outside of the house with the house number in the picture. (Not required if you have children together and have the birth certificate)

Some may find they don't need #13 and other times they will find they need the pictures.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Believe Sunbelt has provided documentation required for an extension of stay from Immigration rather than a visa from Penang (at least I hope so). Believe the items you listed (marriage certificate and copy of ID card and proof of residence should be enough). Have not heard of the proof of residence before but it is a prime concern that you live together so can understand if some are now asking for it. The information from your agent should be the most up-to-date data.

If you do not have a history there believe you are limited to a single entry at present - so if you have the bank money to prove support ability it might increase your chance of a multi entry if that is what you want.

If you can meet the extension of stay requirements from immigration it would be what I would shoot for.

Thanks

Ray

I have heard some people who are retired and try to get marriage visa get refused and get pushed towards a reitrement visa, this i believe depends on your age and of course which way the wind is blowing here in Thailand, maybe Lopburi can provide more about this one?

I have never heard of anyone being refused a support Thai wife if they meet the requirements. If you do not plan to work and meet the requirements the retirement is what I would recommend as it is easier for both you and immigration. But I initially chose support and immigration had no problem with that (even though I qualified for retirement). That said I do not doubt that some officers would prefer to process the retirement type and might make that suggestion - but I serious doubt anyone is refused.

Believe Sunbelt has provided documentation required for an extension of stay from Immigration rather than a visa from Penang (at least I hope so). Believe the items you listed (marriage certificate and copy of ID card and proof of residence should be enough). Have not heard of the proof of residence before but it is a prime concern that you live together so can understand if some are now asking for it. The information from your agent should be the most up-to-date data.

If you do not have a history there believe you are limited to a single entry at present - so if you have the bank money to prove support ability it might increase your chance of a multi entry if that is what you want.

If you can meet the extension of stay requirements from immigration it would be what I would shoot for.

Yes Lop this is the requirement for LOS.

As for the Embassy, proof of money, marriage certificate, copy of ID card, household reg.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 2 weeks later...
13. Pictures of your wives clothes and your clothes in the same closet, picture of you and your wife on a living room sofa and a picture of the outside of the house with the house number in the picture. (Not required if you have children together and have the birth certificate)

Are you serious ???? !!

Or is it saturday april fool day ?

Or you are only anticipating... the strengthening of conditions for marriage visa ?

I've heard you can get a non-immigrant (type "?") multiple re-entry visa, that's valid for a year but you have to leave the country every 90 days, easily if you're married to a Thai. But if you get a non-immigrant visa that's valid for one year (and you don't have to leave the country, just report every 90 days) you need all the complicated paperwork and you need to show the big money (40,000 Baht a month or 400,000 a year).

Make sense? What say you anyone?

Hi,

I am a Canadian offshore worker and have been married for almost 5 years to my Thai wife. I have just been getting visa exemption stamp at customs because I leave every 17 days to go back to work.

Is it possible to apply for a marriage visa in thailand with just the entry stamp?

I am 60 years old with a Thai wife and I would be obliged with help on deciding between retirement and supporting Thai wife visas.

My situation is that I still work abroad on rotation and I will only spend up to 3 or 4 months per year in LOS.

Despite telling immigration that I still work they constantly try and get me to apply for a retirement visa however I need to leave and re-enter the country 3 or 4 times a year. The local officer says I can do this with a retirement visa ... mai pen rai ... but I am not sure and don't want to commit until I am positive about it.

Can I do multiple exits with a retirement visa? Can I do multiple exits with a supporting Thai wife visa? If so do I need any extra visas?

I did previously have a 1 year 'O' non-immigrant multiple exit visa but had to go to Penang to get it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Non immigrant visa O entry only allows a 90 day stay so a multi entry would still require exits every 90 days. They are not issued to everyone even if married.

The extension of stay from Immigration requires that you support your Thai wife and that needs a job at 40k or bank deposit of 400k during application process.

Visa exemption may not be a viable system under the new rules so I would either check on a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate (which would be most cost effective) or extension of stay from Immigration which normally requires some kind of visa entry but a recent report was that a person in Pattaya had obtained with just a 30 day visa exempt stamp. You can ask. It would appear that immigration intends to delegate authority more under the new rules so perhaps those willing to plead there case will have a better chance of success.

Non immigrant visa O entry only allows a 90 day stay so a multi entry would still require exits every 90 days. They are not issued to everyone even if married.

The extension of stay from Immigration requires that you support your Thai wife and that needs a job at 40k or bank deposit of 400k during application process.

Visa exemption may not be a viable system under the new rules so I would either check on a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate (which would be most cost effective) or extension of stay from Immigration which normally requires some kind of visa entry but a recent report was that a person in Pattaya had obtained with just a 30 day visa exempt stamp. You can ask. It would appear that immigration intends to delegate authority more under the new rules so perhaps those willing to plead there case will have a better chance of success.

Thanks Lopburi3

Are these new regulations? They differ considerably from what sofar - and still at this moment - is posted at immigrations website. Particularly the option to work and pay tax of 40,000 seems to have vanished.

Thanks

Ray

3. A valid passport.

6. Letter from Thai Bank stating that your account has no less than Baht 400,000 balance or letter of guarantee of pension income from your Embassy. Making an annual sum of no less than Baht 400,000 Baht.

Letter from the bank stating when the funds arrived and a letter from the bank stating the current bank balance. Both letters must no be more than 72 hours old when applying for the extension.

12. If under the age of 50 and working, a letter of guarantee from your employer.

Some may find they don't need #13 and other times they will find they need the pictures.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Are these new regulations? They differ considerably from what sofar - and still at this moment - is posted at immigrations website. Particularly the option to work and pay tax of 40,000 seems to have vanished.
It was still there when I looked just now:
Financial documentation:

Bank statement and copy of bank account showing at least 400,000.- Baht deposit

- Employment evidence, work permit, and tax documentation showing an income of at least 40,000.- Baht.

---------------

Maestro

Thanks

Ray

3. A valid passport.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

You and Maestro expected that site to have up to date info?

:o

I can't take it

:D

I knew from both of your posts on this issue that you weren't up to speed.

Mainly concerned for those of my true fellowmen, that don't have other options. For my own part, I wish I knew what docoments I should prepare for my next extension - should I prepare for a business extension, a retirement extension or a support wife extension?

...For my own part, I wish I knew what docoments I should prepare for my next extension - should I prepare for a business extension, a retirement extension or a support wife extension?
If you qualify for any of the three types you can, for a start, eliminate the extension for business because you can apply for a work permit also on the extension for support of Thai wife. The latter has the advantage that if you lose your job your extension of stay remains valid. With the extension for business, you would have to leave the country within seven days after cancellation of the work permit, or at this time apply for an extension for support of Thai wife.

With an extension for retirement, you are not allowed to apply for a work permit. Therefore, if you plan to work you can exclude also this option.

---------------

Maestro

...For my own part, I wish I knew what docoments I should prepare for my next extension - should I prepare for a business extension, a retirement extension or a support wife extension?
If you qualify for any of the three types you can, for a start, eliminate the extension for business because you can apply for a work permit also on the extension for support of Thai wife. The latter has the advantage that if you lose your job your extension of stay remains valid. With the extension for business, you would have to leave the country within seven days after cancellation of the work permit, or at this time apply for an extension for support of Thai wife.

With an extension for retirement, you are not allowed to apply for a work permit. Therefore, if you plan to work you can exclude also this option.

---------------

Maestro

Thanks maestro. Yes, that was also my own conclusion until Sunbelt posted his list of required documents in this thread. According to that, you'll have to be younger than 50 for incountry work to count on a support wife extension (at least if one takes every word (including the missing ones) very literally - as some officers tend to do). Actually, the only direct references to financial documentation relates to money from abroad.

...Sunbelt posted his list of required documents in this thread...

Sunbelt mixed together a requirement for support Thai Wife (400K) and a requirement for retirement (pension income) and will probably come back to correct it.

For support Thai wife it is in fact 400K, brought in from abroad, or local, tax-paid income of 40K per month, or a combination of both.

No age limit on extension for support of Thai wife but several posters older than 50, some older than 60, have indicated that Immigration tried to convince them to extend for retirement. However, if one already has a job at the time of application for extension or if one makes it clear that one wants to keep that option open, there should be no problem in getting an extension for support of Thai wife even long after reaching the age of 50.

---------------

Maestro

There is no such thing as a "marriage visa". There are two situations that are commonly called this.

1. Multi entry O non immigrant visa issued by a Consulate to visit (in this case your wife). This allows 90 day stays for the validity period of one year from visa issue date.

2. Extension of stay to support Thai wife issued by Immigration. This provides a one year stay and can be renewed each year. No exit of Thailand is required.

...Sunbelt posted his list of required documents in this thread...

Sunbelt mixed together a requirement for support Thai Wife (400K) and a requirement for retirement (pension income) and will probably come back to correct it.

For support Thai wife it is in fact 400K, brought in from abroad, or local, tax-paid income of 40K per month, or a combination of both.

No age limit on extension for support of Thai wife but several posters older than 50, some older than 60, have indicated that Immigration tried to convince them to extend for retirement. However, if one already has a job at the time of application for extension or if one makes it clear that one wants to keep that option open, there should be no problem in getting an extension for support of Thai wife even long after reaching the age of 50.

---------------

Maestro

I am 62, my wife is 41 next month and our son is only 2 (and came as a big and very welcome surprise to us both). I renewed my Thai support visa last week after a 1 month wait and it is usually 6 weeks. Nobody tried to convince me to try for a retirement visa instead of a support visa.

For anybodys information when you come back on the required date you do NOT need a ticket from the information desk. You go just inside room 101 to the right and pick up a pair of tickets and attach 1 to your passport and put the passport in the tray. Immigration will collect them in batches, get them signed and stamped then call the number. If you are not there the passport is left in a white tray until collected but there is always someone there except fo half an hour at lunchtime.

There is no such thing as a "marriage visa". There are two situations that are commonly called this.

1. Multi entry O non immigrant visa issued by a Consulate to visit (in this case your wife). This allows 90 day stays for the validity period of one year from visa issue date.

2. Extension of stay to support Thai wife issued by Immigration. This provides a one year stay and can be renewed each year. No exit of Thailand is required.

I was on option 2 and a renewal. From the renewal I went back and got a multi-re entry visa and then completed my 90 day report (what a good boy I am). To complete all 3 tasks was nearly 2 hours but I did get there at lunchtime. The re-entry permit was a belt and braces thing because 3 years ago I forgot one and had to start all over again.

Edited by billd766

Im getting quite confused. I leave tomorrow for KL and it will be my first request for a marriage visa. I was under the impression that I only need to take copies and original of marriage certificate, photocopy of her ID with her signiture & I am also taking our 8 week olds birth certificate. I got told by a friend to try for a Multiple Entry O Marriage Visa. After reading this I am worried I dont have enough Info or am forgetting something. I also am not sure if they refuse a multiple entry visa do they give me a one of 3 month or 1 month.

Help Appreciated.

JT

Im getting quite confused. I leave tomorrow for KL and it will be my first request for a marriage visa. I was under the impression that I only need to take copies and original of marriage certificate, photocopy of her ID with her signiture & I am also taking our 8 week olds birth certificate. I got told by a friend to try for a Multiple Entry O Marriage Visa. After reading this I am worried I dont have enough Info or am forgetting something. I also am not sure if they refuse a multiple entry visa do they give me a one of 3 month or 1 month.

Help Appreciated.

JT

Jt,

1.just go to the embassy in KL and apply for a multi non-imm O visa, this visa is valid for 1 year and you go to the border every 3 months to get a stamp.

2.With the other O visa, the "extension of stay based on marriage" is also a 1 year visa but you don't need to leave the country, instead you need to show 400,000 baht in the bank or an income of 40,000 baht a month and a lot more paperwork.

Is this more clear ? Choice with one you take is up to you !!

Take all your papers from your marriage including the wife and go to KL and you will do fine.

Take the easy way now because you are limited in time.

Good luck :o

If they will not issue a multi entry they will normally issue a single entry which provides a 90 day stay and time to get the paperwork together to extend your stay if you qualify. They may well issue the second time if you have to continue the visa option.

But in addition to what you list you should also carry a copy of the wife home register (blue book with her listed) as this is often asked for recently. Also I would have her write a short paragraph that you are living together and she wants you have have the visa issued. But I am sure the birth certificate will help prove the fact you have a real marriage so don't believe you will have any problems.

Help Appreciated.

JT

Thankyou for your help. Unfortunately I cannot take the wife as she needs to stay home and take care our 6yr old daughter and 8 week old boy but I can take all the paperwork that you have stated.

Can they refuse a multiple one year visa and just give me a 3 month visa? I really want a one year so I dont have to get caught up in all the other stuff. I am happy to leave every 3 months.

Cheers

JT