Marriage Visa

I am new to this forum and thought that this might be the best way to find out the truth in something that I recently heard.

I recently married a Thai national and had to return to China to complete a one year contract there. In one of my recent chats with my wife, she mentioned that there has been a dramatic change in the visa regulations. Something to the affect of : If you are in Thailand with a non immigrant visa, when the visa is completed you MUST return to your country for a length of time, before you are permitted access to Thailand again.

Has anyone heard about this new development? Apparently it was just put in force over the past 2 weeks.

Any information about this or Marriage visas would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning on residing in Thailand permanently.

Thanks you.

K

She heard wrong as any of the thousands of recent posts here will verify. There is a new rule for those who enter without visa after October 1 that they will only be allowed 3 such entries in a 180 day period and any further entry will require a valid visa issued by a Consulate. Nobody is going to separate you so not to worry and has nothing to do with non immigrant visas.

There is no such thing as a "marriage visa". There are two situations that are commonly called this.

1. Multi entry O non immigrant visa issued by a Consulate to visit (in this case your wife). This allows 90 day stays for the validity period of one year from visa issue date.

2. Extension of stay to support Thai wife issued by Immigration. This provides a one year stay and can be renewed each year. No exit of Thailand is required.

Im getting quite confused. I leave tomorrow for KL and it will be my first request for a marriage visa. I was under the impression that I only need to take copies and original of marriage certificate, photocopy of her ID with her signiture & I am also taking our 8 week olds birth certificate. I got told by a friend to try for a Multiple Entry O Marriage Visa. After reading this I am worried I dont have enough Info or am forgetting something. I also am not sure if they refuse a multiple entry visa do they give me a one of 3 month or 1 month.

Help Appreciated.

JT

Jt,

1.just go to the embassy in KL and apply for a multi non-imm O visa, this visa is valid for 1 year and you go to the border every 3 months to get a stamp.

2.With the other O visa, the "extension of stay based on marriage" is also a 1 year visa but you don't need to leave the country, instead you need to show 400,000 baht in the bank or an income of 40,000 baht a month and a lot more paperwork.

Is this more clear ? Choice with one you take is up to you !!

Take all your papers from your marriage including the wife and go to KL and you will do fine.

Take the easy way now because you are limited in time.

Good luck :o

You are making an incorrect statement…..There is only one kind of multiple entry non immigrant ‘O’ visa, for marriage or retirement. Not two. Whether you chose to extend your stay at an immigration office for 12 months, or do visa runs every 90 days is up to the individual

Non immigrant visa O entry only allows a 90 day stay so a multi entry would still require exits every 90 days. They are not issued to everyone even if married.

The extension of stay from Immigration requires that you support your Thai wife and that needs a job at 40k or bank deposit of 400k during application process.

Visa exemption may not be a viable system under the new rules so I would either check on a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate (which would be most cost effective) or extension of stay from Immigration which normally requires some kind of visa entry but a recent report was that a person in Pattaya had obtained with just a 30 day visa exempt stamp. You can ask. It would appear that immigration intends to delegate authority more under the new rules so perhaps those willing to plead there case will have a better chance of success.

I have gotten several 1 year multiple entry visa's in Penang, good for 90 days at a time. All I needed was Proof of employment (offshore outside Thailand) childs birth cert, and bank account (outside Thailand). No questuions asked no problems. I hope this hasn't changed. I am not legally married to my wife but we do have 3 kids together, with my name on the birth certs as the father. last time 2 years ago it cost 10,000bt

I went to Penang 3 months ago and was refused multi non o on grounds of not showing income, married to a Thai.

Will online bank statements from UK bank, ATM slips showing money withdrawn in Thailand from UK bank be ok as proof of income from UK, and do I need to get them authentcated by UK embassy.

If the answer to the embassy is yes has anyone done this and how long does it take, think i've got 8 days left before doing Penang again