Illegal structures on Phuket beach to be demolished within seven days

webfact

Illegal structures on Phuket beach to be demolished within seven days
Eakkapop Thongtub

1427778823_1-org.jpg
Officials put the demolition notices onto one of the illegal structures.

PHUKET: -- The owners of illegal structures built on public land on Laypang Beach were yesterday (March 30) ordered to demolish them within seven days.

Between 10am and midday, under the command of Thalang district chief, Weera Kerdsirimongkol, 30 officials made up of Thalang volunteers, Cherng Talay police and Cherng Talay OrBorTor posted the orders for the demolition onto the structures of the illegal buildings.

There were a total of 11 illegal buildings that received the notices including The Reggae Bar, Chun Cha Bar and Red Sun Bar.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/illegal-structures-on-phuket-beach-to-be-demolished-within-seven-days-51657.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-31

after years and years of allowance, 7 days seems a little short to me.

It's not years of allowance. these structures have appeared in the last few months, AFTER the other original joints at this location were cleared last year. They will keep coming back unless large fines are put in place, and so far that has not happened in any such case.

• Like 1

It's not years of allowance. these structures have appeared in the last few months, AFTER the other original joints at this location were cleared last year. They will keep coming back unless large fines are put in place, and so far that has not happened in any such case.

Just demolish the day they are open for business. Never mind the fines, make then pay for building, and demolish. No profit then, end of the story.

Look let's face the facts. The mayor was doing very nicely before the purge and would like them to return as his income is substantially reduced, only he can't be seen to take that position, so he pays lip service when required and only responds to the encroachment at a late stage when forced to by higher authority. No more need be said. These chancers will return in force eventually when this issue is no longer a high profile "flavour of the month"

Just demolish the day they are open for business. Never mind the fines, make then pay for building, and demolish. No profit then, end of the story.

I'm not familiar with this area.

Is it just because they're illegal that people are hostile towards them, or were they doing something else wrong?

Just asking

The picture looks like Tony restaurant which was looking very recently built or renovated when I went there two weeks ago.

If that's really the restaurant then they built this stuff despite an order to close and demolish. Wow.

On a positive note. I visited Kamala Beach last weekend for the first time in a long time. The last time I was there Kamala resembled a sort of Brazilian Barrio with roughly built shacks posing as tourist shops and restaurants. Now, following the clean up, Kamala Beach is a 1st class beach area with nice, clean restaurants complete with sea views (impossible with the Barrio between the legitimate restaurants and the beach) and concreted walkway. I hold no strong views on the political situation, but the present government should be complimented on their actions at Kamala.