Decree for lifting martial law sent for royal command: Prayut

webfact

Decree for lifting martial law sent for royal command: Prayut

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said Tuesday that he has submitted a draft royal decree for His Majesty the King to sign to lift the martial law.

He said the drafting of an announcement for the junta chief to invoke Article 44 in lieu of the martial law has also been done.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Decree-for-lifting-martial-law-sent-for-royal-comm-30257121.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-31

Thai junta chief says he has asked king to lift martial law
AFP

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's junta chief said Tuesday he has asked King Bhumibol Adulyadej for permission to end martial law, but added that an executive order retaining sweeping powers for the military would soon replace it.

"I have already submitted permission to the king to lift martial law. The king will have to approve whether martial law is lifted," Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha told reporters.

"A new order (to replace martial law) will be issued very soon," he added.

Thailand has been under increased pressure from western allies, businesses and tour operators to lift martial law which was decreed shortly before the military seized power in a coup last May.

Under the law the army has been able to prosecute those accused of national security and royal defamation offences in military courts with no right of appeal.

The media has also been muzzled while political gatherings of more than five people have been banned.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-03-31

Well, apart from our little Greek friend I think everyone else is in agreement Article 44 could invoke Rule 7.62 if things go pear shaped. I hope not, but you just never can tell.....

• Like 2

Thai junta to replace martial law but retain key powers
AFP

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's junta chief said Tuesday he had asked the king for permission to lift martial law, after coming under pressure from foreign governments, but added that the military would retain sweeping powers.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha said the 87-year-old King Bhumibol Adulyadej would now decide whether to lift martial law, which would be replaced with a new executive order.

"A new order (to replace martial law) will be issued very soon," the former army chief said.

Thailand has been under increased pressure from western allies, businesses and tour operators to lift martial law which was decreed shortly before the military seized power in a coup last May.

Major General Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, a deputy junta spokesman, told reporters Prayut felt the decision was necessary because "foreign countries were concerned over our use of martial law".

Under the law the army has been able to prosecute those accused of national security and royal defamation offences in military courts with no right of appeal.

The media has been muzzled while political gatherings of more than five people are banned.

In announcing his intention to lift martial law, Prayut gave his first public comments on what might replace it -- with clear indications that the military would retain significant powers.

The former army chief said he would use Article 44 of the junta's interim constitution to create the new order protecting Thailand's security.

- No need for parliament -

Article 44 grants the junta chief power to make an executive order on national security issues without having to go through the military-stacked parliament.

Critics have said that order could end up being even more draconian than martial law.

Prayut said military courts would still be used for security offences but convictions could now be appealed to higher tribunals.

Security forces would continue to be able to make arrests without a court warrant, "otherwise it would be too late and a suspect could flee".

Prayut did not say whether cases under Thailand's royal defamation law -- one of the world's strictest -- would continue to be prosecuted through military courts, or whether the current ban on political gatherings would be lifted.

Prayut seized power last May after months of often violent street protests paralysed Yingluck Shinawatra's democratically elected government.

He has vowed to return power to an elected civilian government, but only once reforms to tackle corruption and curb the power of political parties are codified in a new constitution.

Critics say those reforms are aimed at neutering the power of Yingluck and her brother, ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, ensuring that they and parties linked to them can never take office again.

Rights groups say basic freedoms have been severely eroded since the military took over and lese majeste legislation has been increasingly used to stifle political opposition.

Thailand has been rocked by a decade-long political crisis which broadly pits a Bangkok-based middle class and royalist elite -- backed by parts of the military and judiciary -- against urban working-class voters and farmers from the country's north loyal to the Shinawatras.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-03-31

• Like 1

"Critics say those reforms are aimed at neutering the power of Yingluck and her brother, ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, ensuring that they and parties linked to them can never take office again."

With all the scandals and corruption the 'Thaksin thinks' Pheu Thai party acts is involved in that might be a good idea. Note that reforms apply to all existing political parties and of course enforcing the law for once would exclude criminal fugitives anyway.

What some seem to like to forget is that the people will be in the unique position to organise themselves without the old power brokers, the old regional 'important' families. A bit of self-reliance with independent watchdogs and I hope an Ombudsman with some powers.

• Like 1

You all spilled your guts out about lifting martial Law.

Here it is, he is lifting it.

Now you found article 44 you don't agree with.

Doesn't matter what he does, doesn't matter what he says, you will never agree.

Because you never opened your eyes and ears to see what the man has done already for Thailand.

I will just remind you of some.

1. He got rid of the Sinawatra clan of thieves and deceptors.

2. He is reforming the police and already we can see the results of that as they started doing their job and most of te bad seeds have gone away.

3. He is fighting corruption on all levels of society, many high corrupt officials and others have been caught.

4. He is trying to bring the beautiful Thai sea sides back to their natural state, kicking out the vermin occupying them.

5. He is fighting against human trafficking...we heard already of results.

6. He is trying to bring some morals back to the Thai society as nearly nothing has left after so many years under the so called democratic governments.

7. He is going to improve the railways and roads of Thailand.

But the most important of all he has brought calm and tranquility in this county.

No shootings any more, no more killings and abuse of innocent people.

In a year he has given the Thai people much more than any other government.

What does it take to satisfy you?

But doesn't really matter if you are satisfied or not and that includes me as we will never have anything to do with Thai politics as we can't vote.

So carry on being awkward and negative as before....nobody is listening to you....and neither to me.

At what price? Democracy is not something that can be bought and sold but easily oppressed. Noted your points but what exactly are you talking about because everything on that list is just words; nothing has yet been achieved.

I doubt anyone wants to see Thailand go further down hill but this is no way for a country to go. I wouldn't wish such a regime on my worst enemy.

Stuff democracy, who needs it!! and you can't dismiss these achievements by stating that they are "only words" they are actions, you know real achievements that has dragged Thailand out of the abyss.

Thailand going down hill?? I bet you stopped reading costa's list after the first one or two because you didn't like what you saw.

If you like democracy so much then why on earth are you a red supporter as they have never embraced 'real' democracy - it is an illegitimate tool used by the PTP to get in to power and then attempt to serve Thaksin because he gives them wads of money in return (notice I said attempt, because they failed)!!

Why don't you get you're brain into gear and start using a bit of common sense as to what life in Thailand is really like and not spout your warped version which is simply bunkum with cherries on it.

• Like 2

You all spilled your guts out about lifting martial Law.

Here it is, he is lifting it.

Now you found article 44 you don't agree with.

Doesn't matter what he does, doesn't matter what he says, you will never agree.

Because you never opened your eyes and ears to see what the man has done already for Thailand.

I will just remind you of some.

1. He got rid of the Sinawatra clan of thieves and deceptors.

2. He is reforming the police and already we can see the results of that as they started doing their job and most of te bad seeds have gone away.

3. He is fighting corruption on all levels of society, many high corrupt officials and others have been caught.

4. He is trying to bring the beautiful Thai sea sides back to their natural state, kicking out the vermin occupying them.

5. He is fighting against human trafficking...we heard already of results.

6. He is trying to bring some morals back to the Thai society as nearly nothing has left after so many years under the so called democratic governments.

7. He is going to improve the railways and roads of Thailand.

But the most important of all he has brought calm and tranquility in this county.

No shootings any more, no more killings and abuse of innocent people.

In a year he has given the Thai people much more than any other government.

What does it take to satisfy you?

But doesn't really matter if you are satisfied or not and that includes me as we will never have anything to do with Thai politics as we can't vote.

So carry on being awkward and negative as before....nobody is listening to you....and neither to me.

Actually, I am (listening to you!) and, I think that there's substance to what you say.

Of course, those of us that have been raised (I almost said "grown up" but then had 2nd thoughts!) in a particular kind of democracy will naturally likely struggle accepting another variant, but I've personally long believed that 'Benevolent Dictatorship' with rule of law in place is the best form of governance.

This army man is certainly no political diplomat, but he HAS done a lot to secure the safety and opportunity of ordinary Thais into the future and in a very short time frame. I salute him and his efforts... even against the critics. It is after all, HIS Thailand not ours!

Given the political landscape, who still has the most influence in Thai politics ? It is still the Shinawatras. One of their dogs could run next time and probably win, as there are no politicians strong enough to beat them. Shinawatras also have time where the junta may not. Time is a factor in Thailand.

The constant coups have harmed the development of a competitive opposition to Shinawatras. There base is intact. The American posture was a sign of this. How is they coup not going to be a repeat of the last ?

who needs FOX entertainment news when you have all of these fear mongers here on TVF? Too funny......look out the sky may be falling too. Amazing the same people did not seem so concerned when babies were getting blown up with RPG's. Priorities my friends, priorities!!!

Sounds like a repeat of one of your previous posts ¨The sky is falling¨ Not terribly imaginative, however.

Babies being blown up with RPG´s? Where did the RPG´s come from? Across the boarder controlled by the army, or from the army themselves?

If the army (and police) had done their job in the first place it would never have come to this, oh but then again that´s why it did come to this.

I can imagine AK47´s and Chinese / Russian made RPG´s coming across the boarders (Lao, Myanmar, Cambodia) but not M16ś, M4ś and American / NATO made weapons, which I believe are ONLY used here in Thailand......

Maybe you should consider changing your username to something more appropriate......

• Like 1