Sophon Cable going digital?

wump

We have it in our building although I rarely use it since I have satellite. But I did see a notice in the lobby about buying a box for Baht 700 (or waiting until they supposedly distributed one for free) for the digital service, so it sounds like they are doing something. Can't really give definitive information though.

Not possible... their network is so impaired that they couldn't get digital signals originating in their head-end to point Z (worst case) without impairment... only if they jump onto the hybrid fiber cable network that injects IP data at localised fiber points could they make it work... perhaps this is their plan.

But Hybrid Fiber Cable is 10 years behind DOCSIS 3 as used by TRUE - it will all be narrowband and not a great investment opportunity..

I think they're just promoting the Thai version of what in Britain we call Freeview. Here it's around 30 digital channels of Thai TV that you can receive free of charge if you have the set-top box. I was given one free a few weeks back when I went to the Sophon shop to renew my subscription for another year. I didn't realise this was available in Thailand so I asked about it here and all was revealed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807012-why-would-i-want-this/?p=9167236

I think they're just promoting the Thai version of what in Britain we call Freeview. Here it's around 30 digital channels of Thai TV that you can receive free of charge if you have the set-top box. I was given one free a few weeks back when I went to the Sophon shop to renew my subscription for another year. I didn't realise this was available in Thailand so I asked about it here and all was revealed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807012-why-would-i-want-this/?p=9167236

Guderian did you ever try the box they gave you ??

As far as I can gather Pattaya /Jomtien and a lot of the "darkside" are at the moment in a transmitter dead zone ie: there is no signal

they have just published the plan for filler stations though I can't see a date for implementation.

DVB-T fillers stations english 580300000005.pdf

Why would Sophon give out boxes that can't be used ????? unless its clever marketing to draw people to use thier cable service ?

• 2 months later...

Yes I have the box. My cost was 790 baht with a coupon its 690 baht. I live in a condo a was the first one to purchase it direct from Sophon.

The quality is exceptional and takes two minutes to hookup. Everything is included - remote, batteries, hdmi & audio cables.

I love all the HDTV programs which is about 20. All the national channels, golf and 4 sport channels, movie channels and a MTV channel. A one time investment. Call ahead as the do run out of stock FYI .

dannywla,

You say "A one time investment"

does your box need to be connected to a Sophon cable connection ? if so don't you have to keep paying Sophon a fee every month/year to watch these channels ?

Yes, its part of the Sophon set-up so you dont get anything for nothing, I personally dont see a problem with this. Sophon have extended there service at no additional cost.

dannywla,

You say "A one time investment"

does your box need to be connected to a Sophon cable connection ? if so don't you have to keep paying Sophon a fee every month/year to watch these channels ?

Yes, its part of the Sophon set-up so you dont get anything for nothing, I personally dont see a problem with this. Sophon have extended there service at no additional cost.

Sophon001 (2015_05_26 12_25_33 UTC).pdf

RabC I also have no problem with Sophon extending their service, just wanted to be clear that the "one time investment" only applies to the box and that a subsription is also required.

RabC I also have no problem with Sophon extending their service, just wanted to be clear that the "one time investment" only applies to the box and that a subsription is also required.

johng My reply wasn't meant towards you, but was trying to prevent the few members who will whine that they are already paying for Sophon so why should they pay more.