WhatsApp Phone

MikeWill

If you have an android phone you can now download the latest version (v.2.12.19) of WhatsApp and be able to make free phone calls within the app.

Download to your PC at: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/ - you have to know how to install .apk files.

The party you're calling to must also have an updated version of WhatsApp and have an Internet connection.

"If you have an android phone you can now download the latest version (v.2.12.19) of WhatsApp and be able to make free phone calls within the app."

Free phone calls to where?

"Download to your PC at: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/ - you have to know how to install .apk files."

Wouldn't it be easier to download from the Google Play Store? I mean, if you really wanted to download and install the app on your phone, that is.

"The party you're calling to must also have an updated version of WhatsApp and have an Internet connection."

So... it's NOT "a free phone call", it's a call "using your mobile phone" to call another What'sApp user.

What have you got against LINE?

\\EDIT:

C|NET WhatsApp begins rollout of voice call functionality

C|NET WhatsApp for Android now offers voice calling to all users

WhatsApp version 2.12.19 does include the calling feature, according to Android Police. But that version is available only as an APK file (Android application package), which is not as easy to install as an app you download directly from Google Play. Version 2.12.19 is the latest one available through the APK.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

Free is a relative term. You still use bandwidth so you are still paying, althyough not as much (I assume) as a call via your carrier.

This afternoon, much to my surprise, I received a call via WhatsApp. I am in the USA at the moment and it was one of the girls I know in Soi Cowboy calling to wish me happy birthday. She then switched to line to turn it into a video call. Both calls were of excellent quality, far better than skype.

Edited by WhizBang

"If you have an android phone you can now download the latest version (v.2.12.19) of WhatsApp and be able to make free phone calls within the app."

Free phone calls to where?

Within the app like he said, comment sense would tell you its to other whatsapp users

"Download to your PC at: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/ - you have to know how to install .apk files."

Wouldn't it be easier to download from the Google Play Store? I mean, if you really wanted to download and install the app on your phone, that is.

The update is not available on the google store yet so no its wouldnt be easier

"The party you're calling to must also have an updated version of WhatsApp and have an Internet connection."

So... it's NOT "a free phone call", it's a call "using your mobile phone" to call another What'sApp user.

What have you got against LINE?

Its a call using whatsapp application to another user who has whatsapp application and wifi/data

What do you have against Whatsapp? Line is abolute pile of crap invented by Asians for Asians

The issue, I now realize, it that the OP included the term "free phone calls", then the term should have just been "free calls", or "free voice calls".

"[...] be able to make free phone calls within the app."

When I went to the Whatsapp website to see what was up it didn't mention a thing about voice, video, or phone calls. Nor did the download link.

Had to do a wider search for news outlets rewriting press releases to see what Facebook was doing with their poorly thought out acquisition. So got the explanation of why it was necessary to sideload the .apk file, (new software feature not yet released, get it now before anyone else, yada yada yadda) and, hence, the follow-on edit to my post.

"Within the app like he said, comment sense would tell you its to other whatsapp users"

As the OP included the term "phone calls", that conjures a whole different meaning than does "Free Voice and Video Call".

These 'apps' don't include the term "phone call" as that normally indicates the app can facilitate making a connection to a standard landline or mobile phone user by entering their telephone number. That faux pas is on the OP.

And I actually enjoy that there are so many viable alternatives to do voice or video chat out there.

While I'm not a fan of "stickers" or game 'invites', I do like the text chat, voice message, voice or video calling feature that LINE provides.

I'm mostly a Google Fan Boy and use those products.

The issue, I now realize, it that the OP included the term "free phone calls", then the term should have just been "free calls", or "free voice calls".

"[...] be able to make free phone calls within the app."

When I went to the Whatsapp website to see what was up it didn't mention a thing about voice, video, or phone calls. Nor did the download link.

Had to do a wider search for news outlets rewriting press releases to see what Facebook was doing with their poorly thought out acquisition. So got the explanation of why it was necessary to sideload the .apk file, (new software feature not yet released, get it now before anyone else, yada yada yadda) and, hence, the follow-on edit to my post.

"Within the app like he said, comment sense would tell you its to other whatsapp users"

As the OP included the term "phone calls", that conjures a whole different meaning than does "Free Voice and Video Call".

These 'apps' don't include the term "phone call" as that normally indicates the app can facilitate making a connection to a standard landline or mobile phone user by entering their telephone number. That faux pas is on the OP.

And I actually enjoy that there are so many viable alternatives to do voice or video chat out there.

While I'm not a fan of "stickers" or game 'invites', I do like the text chat, voice message, voice or video calling feature that LINE provides.

I'm mostly a Google Fan Boy and use those products.

In my opinion i think maybe they were doing a soft roll out from the site first so they wouldnt get bombarded straight away, given the amount of android users there is a potential for a major crash if they went straight to Play Store.

Ironicllay if you go to the play store and go to whatsapp they mention it there about free calls but the download is still the old one without that functionality!

Being a Google fanboy i would have thought you would have used Hangouts for your video and voip calls after all video is baked into the contacts app.

Being a Google fanboy i would have thought you would have used Hangouts for your video and voip calls after all video is baked into the contacts app.

I do. With my US friends. Very nice.

Sadly, my Thai friends and family seem to only know how to use Google Search and YouTube.

Otherwise, they abuse Facebook.

Free is a relative term. You still use bandwidth so you are still paying, althyough not as much (I assume) as a call via your carrier.

This afternoon, much to my surprise, I received a call via WhatsApp. I am in the USA at the moment and it was one of the girls I know in Soi Cowboy calling to wish me happy birthday. She then switched to line to turn it into a video call. Both calls were of excellent quality, far better than skype.

Unless you are on an unlimited 3G data package or wifi, then SOP is to avoid the multimedia bandwidth hogs. Good to know that WhatsApp and Line are delivering slick and seamless products. I am not sure who still uses skype these days. I reckon it became even more of a total resource hog after MS acquired it as their 'silver bullet' to replace all their other, individual resource hogs.

Happy birthday BTW!