Italian sausage ... again.

Suradit69

For quite awhile Villa had the excellent Johnsonville Italian sausages, but the last three times I was there, nothing. Other varieties of Johnsonville sausages were available at Friendship, but again, they seem to have disappeared. Maybe a victim of the exchange rate. The supermarket in the lower level of Central Festival used to have some locally produced Italian sausages that were nothing to rave about but OK. but the last two times I checked there they were not available.

Any suggestions on where they can be found now (for home prep, not as carryout from some deli in Jomtien)?

Here:

google.co.uk/maps/place/Hickory+Butcher+%26+Delicatessen/@12.908689,100.868858,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x7557a71cbe559967

Sorry, i don't know why the Pin not appears. Probably there is a better way to share a location. But i have no clue about how to do.

Edited by alocacoc

In China, I gave up trying to find Italian sausage.

I went to the interweb and got a recipe for the sausage, mixed the ingredients with ground pork and loaded them into casings with the $20 sausage stuffer I bought.

Later, we figured out the casings weren't necessary, and started frying it up in patties just like breakfast sausage. We did the same with breakfast sausages.

It was a challenge to find the ingredients the first time out, but only took 10 minutes of shopping to buy them in bulk the second time...

Simple, much cheaper, and oh-so-much better than commercially available sausages.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Best Italian Sausage I have found is available from S.S.Sausage Co., Ltd , Belucky Pattaya Branch. You get 10 for 230 baht. They also deliver and sell a wide range of sausages. Tel 038-422-904. They are on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ssauage

See photo of package, I have yet to find a better tasting sausage. Looking forward to your feedback

I cry every time I order anything Italian. It just does not come close to what I grew up with. My best friend, Angelo, had a mom that cooked all day long. Authentic. They even spoke Italian...which was a second language on my block. (NY).

I gave up, even after many recommendations. Italian sausage taste like cheap hotdogs over here, pizza with something that does not resemble cheese at all, hotdogs on pizza....lasagne with just the pasta and no fillings (ground beef and tomato poured over it)

blah.

• Like 1

I cry every time I order anything Italian. It just does not come close to what I grew up with. My best friend, Angelo, had a mom that cooked all day long. Authentic. They even spoke Italian...which was a second language on my block. (NY).

I gave up, even after many recommendations. Italian sausage taste like cheap hotdogs over here, pizza with something that does not resemble cheese at all, hotdogs on pizza....lasagne with just the pasta and no fillings (ground beef and tomato poured over it)

blah.

Quite agree, which is why I loved the Johnsonville Italian sausages which are produced in Wisconsin and sold at pro-sports venues in Milwaukee. Not quite like an Italian neighborhood deli in NY or Chicago, but miles ahead of anything else I've tasted here.

Even finding fennel for Italian cooking is difficult.

I did buy some prepackaged "Italian sausage" at Villa or Central (can't remember which). It tasted like a bad hotdog or bland, tasteless British sausage. There was nothing remotely Italian or appetizing about it.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

blah.

You do realise that this is Thailand and not Italy!?? Perhaps if you want authentic Italian food you should move to Italy.Of course then you will probably complain about the lack of authentic Thai food!!!

• Like 1

blah.

Quite agree, which is why I loved the Johnsonville Italian sausages which are produced in Wisconsin and sold at pro-sports venues in Milwaukee. Not quite like an Italian neighborhood deli in NY or Chicago, but miles ahead of anything else I've tasted here.

I did buy some prepackaged "Italian sausage" at Villa or Central (can't remember which). It tasted like a bad hotdog or bland, tasteless British sausage. There was nothing remotely Italian or appetizing about it.

There is nothing bland about British sausages and there are many different types/ flavours! Cumberland, Lincolnshire etc...They are certainly better than hot dog type sausages that will probably give you cancer if eaten over a long period of time!

• Like 1

blah.

Even on a Sausage thread you manage to get in a dig at the Brits.

blah.

Yeah. Growing up near Providence, Rhode Island, heck some of the streets have the center line divider painted in the Italian Flag colors. Despite all the so called Italian places in Pattaya, I haven't yet tasted anything beyond a possible good. One of the closest was the street vendor girl, frying up the garlic in the pan. But they use crap tomatoes, no olive oil. Decent cheese is usually not used although is available in stores and can be taken home.

blah.

saw Johnsonville in the frozen section of Rimpings...but I am in CM...not Pattaya. I will try .

blah.

You do realise that this is Thailand and not Italy!?? Perhaps if you want authentic Italian food you should move to Italy.Of course then you will probably complain about the lack of authentic Thai food!!!

Nothing wrong with occasionally wanting some well-prepared food other than Thai. Most of the time I'm quite happy with Thai food, and you're right most Thai food found outside of Thailand (or in Thailand at some places targeting tourists) is not as good as what you can get here.

You can eat good Italian food in the US or good Indian food in UK or good Thai food in Australia or good Japanese food in Thailand ... maybe not quite to the standard found in their countries of origin, but good nonetheless. So finding some source for good Italian sausage in Thailand isn't a treasonable act or necessarily a quest doomed to failure.

• Like 2

I gave up falling in love with any supermarket products in Thailand. Inevitably it would just vanish off the shelves forever

Yes it is rather ironic that somethings that sell so well that the shelves are quickly emptied are not replaced, while slow moving things are in plentiful supply.

Usually I stock up on anything that has an iffy supply history, but I'm down to one good Italian sausage in my freezer and I'm reluctant to eat it knowing it could be a long time before I can replenish my supply.

It was far worse where I lived in Africa for so many years. If you saw anything you like you stocked up with as much as you could carry because in short order it would be gone, never to be replaced.

post-145917-0-98454600-1427966043_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

In China, I gave up trying to find Italian sausage.

I went to the interweb and got a recipe for the sausage, mixed the ingredients with ground pork and loaded them into casings with the $20 sausage stuffer I bought.

Later, we figured out the casings weren't necessary, and started frying it up in patties just like breakfast sausage. We did the same with breakfast sausages.

It was a challenge to find the ingredients the first time out, but only took 10 minutes of shopping to buy them in bulk the second time...

Simple, much cheaper, and oh-so-much better than commercially available sausages.

Any chance you could post your recipe? I know there re many on the internet, but you have already found a winner.

Any chance you could post your recipe? I know there re many on the internet, but you have already found a winner.

Here's 3 showing they're all pretty similar. Biggest challenge was to find simple recipes without ingredients we'd never find, like "Naomi's All-In-One Italian Seasoning": Still, my buddy (a UK chef from a previous life) substituted and adjusted enough for his tastes. I wish I could find his breakfast sausage recipe- it was great.

http://www.food.com/recipe/seasoning-for-ground-pork-italian-style-sausage-178446

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-sweet-italian-sausage-mild-or-hot/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-mild-italian-sausage-recipe.html

I'm an Emeril fan, and his looks pretty good, but we just used pork pre-ground to order while we watched. Another advantage of making our own was that we could choose just how fat we wanted the ground pork to be.

• Like 1