Thailand's Mobile Phones Now 10-digit Numbers - Total Confusion

george

Thailand's mobile phones now 10-digit numbers - total confusion

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): Last night Thailand's mobile operators changed all Thai mobile numbers from 9-digits to 10-digits numbers. The 9-digit based system will be intact until November 30, to make it easy for the customers.

But you don't need to do anything to continue to call out and receive calls, but you will need to edit your own phone book to include the extra "8" digit for Thai mobile phones.

A lot of confusion has occured because of conflicting information in the media. So here is the lowdown:

1. You do NOT need to visit any AIS, DTAC or True etc. service centre!

2. Your mobile number currently works with both the old number and the new number (until Nov 30, 2006):

Example:

If your old number was, for example: 01-5432109 your new number is now 081-5432109. Both will work until November 30, 2006 so no worries.

3. You propably have a lot of Thai mobile numbers stored in your mobile or SIM-card. You are advised to manually change all Thai mobile numbers to include the "8" as in the example above.

(You can of course visit your mobile shop to do this for you, but it's not mandatory.)

4. Number presentation (CLID): You might not yet see the new "8" when someone is calling you from another Thai mobile, but it may work within a few weeks.

5. Soon you will receive a SMS message from your mobile provider to change your SMS settings to include the extra "8" in your phone setting for "SMS Service Centre", but you can leave that for the next few weeks.

6. Please inform you international phone friends and collegues of the new situation. As the example above, you international phone number was +6615432109 - now it is +66815432109

The alteration of local mobile phones to the 10-digit system is to cope with the kingdom's expanding demand for mobile phone services in coming years, according to the National Telecommunication Commission (NTC).

-- thaivisa.com 2006-09-01

//edit - fix a typo

//

Edited by Khutan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also dowhload a program (from the AIS, DTAC, True websites) to your phone that will ad the extra '8' automatically to the numbers in your phone book if you cant be bothered doing it manually.

But the instructions are all in Thai - maybe someone with better Thai than myself could take a look and post an English version.

You can also dowhload a program (from the AIS, DTAC, True websites) to your phone that will ad the extra '8' automatically to the numbers in your phone book if you cant be bothered doing it manually.

But the instructions are all in Thai - maybe someone with better Thai than myself could take a look and post an English version.

Here is the link to the software on the AIS site: http://203.150.230.125/activities/10digit/how.html

George, you got the story better than a certain News Paper today.

It is very simple.

Old number 01 234 5678 New Number 081 234 5678

Same with 03 nnn nnnn becomes 083 nnn nnnn

Same with 04 nnn nnnn becomes 084 nnn nnnn

Same with 05 nnn nnnn becomes 085 nnn nnnn

Same with 06 nnn nnnn becomes 086 nnn nnnn

Same with 07 nnn nnnn becomes 087 nnn nnnn

Same with 09 nnn nnnn becomes 089 nnn nnnn

(n means any number from 0 - 9)

//edit : Bold the additional number for the phone numbering plan

Edited by Khutan

Anyone know what the new sms service centre numbers will be ?

Or will it be same same but different (ie close) as in you insert the 8 after the 0 of the exisiting sms service centre number...

Of course could do a test myself if i could find where the sms service centre number is on my phone... (going to have a better look now)

:o Not sure what I have done, but this morning bought a 300 baht top up card (AIS), sucessuflly did the top up and now I have a curious number 2 i :D n the topleft hand corner of the phone and am unable to phone out. Bugger

Hi Leisurely - have seen this happen before. Your phone has the facility for 2 lines, but this is not supported here. Somehow, you've inadvertently managed to change the settings for the phone so that Line 2 is now your default outgoing line & this is why your phone will no longer work and you have that little 2L showing on your screen.

You need to go into your settings (just where this is hidden will depend on the type of phone you have) and change the phone settings back, so that Line 1 is your default outgoing line. If all else fails, now that you know what you're looking for, read the instruction manual (shock - horror)!

Your phone will then should work again normally. I think the recharge of the AIS card is just a coincidence.

Good luck!

you can update your phone book but if you don't take your phone in to have your SIM upgraded then you won't be able to phone after 30 Nov.

so are you saying if we don't have the sim upgraded, the phone won't work after 30/11?

Re read my post please. Then read the article from the Bangkok post, draw your own conclusions. It does say you won't be able to receive calls after 30 Nov.

you can update your phone book but if you don't take your phone in to have your SIM upgraded then you won't be able to phone after 30 Nov.

so are you saying if we don't have the sim upgraded, the phone won't work after 30/11?

This is one of the mose bizarre things I have ever heard.

The SIM has almost nothing to do with your phone number. It has a special number that is assinged within the Network. The Network can change your number to nearly anything it likes, and in this case adding an extra number.

If you don't change your SIM, nothing will happen.

Mind you the Phone Companies and I think Particularly DTAC have heaps and heaps of unsold 64K SIM's sitting in their warehouses, and maybe this is a good opportunity to get rid of them before they go stale and the chips stop functioning.

If you remember about 2 - 2 1/2 years ago, DTAC was trying to sell everyone on a 64K SIM for about 450B if my memory is correct. Last year they had some other promotion to give the things away cheap. Now they are telling you that you need to change the SIM or your phone won't work.... Just Rubbish

straight from AIS; http://203.150.230.125/activities/10digit/how.html

If you go to the home page, YES it is in thai BUT you can do a mouse over on the links and the link will show ENGLISH!!!

10 Digits

Every time you call a mobile phone number, do not forget to add "8" after the leading "0" followed by the mobile number.

For example 0-1999-0000 becomes 08-1999-0000.

Please note that the change will only affect mobile numbers. AIS has been preparing special services to make the transition as smooth as possible.

For example you can get assistance replacing "0" with "08" for all mobile numbers stored on your SIMcard and phone memory, and adjusting SMS setup numbers.

Simply visit your nearest AIS branch, Serenade Club, One-2-Call! Shop, Telewiz shop or Telewiz Express at more than 600 location nationwide from today until 30 November 2006.

For more information, call AIS Call Center 1175.

1 Sep - 30 Nov 2006 You will be able to call both 9-digit and

10-digit mobile numbers.

As of 1 Dec 2006 You will only be able to call 10-digit number.

Please looking for more detail on September 8, 2006.

STILL best is leave it alone. You have 3 months!!! what's the rush. When it comes time and you can't dial a number. add the 8...

and send an email to all your overseas freinds to add an 8 to your number.

GUYS its not confusing or rocket science!!!

Edited by phuketrichard

I'm totally impressed. Every time I see something so simple and then the confusion that people make about it, I just think "well, that's Thailand". But now look at all these posts. The original quote was perfectly correct by saying 01... becomes 081... and +661... becomes +6681... And then the big mess starts. It's not Thailand, it's just the people.

Here is the link to the software on the AIS site: http://203.150.230.125/activities/10digit/how.html

What is the matter with you people?? Can you not follow very simple instructions??? I used to work in customer support and believe me you get very tired of anwering the same old question because people can't be bothered to read the information given to them.

I don't know what you are on about but he was referring to the software installation and operation instruction for the automatic address book conversion - which is in Thai. Guess that is why you 'used' to work in customer support. :o

:o Not sure what I have done, but this morning bought a 300 baht top up card (AIS), sucessuflly did the top up and now I have a curious number 2 i :D n the topleft hand corner of the phone and am unable to phone out. Bugger

the curious no 2 appearing has nothing to do with the 9 to 10 digit change in thailand. seems like you've by mistake changed the line setting of your mobile from line 1 to line 2. If its a Nokia phone, press the # key for a couple of seconds and it will ask you to change back to line 1. If its some other make, its possible through menu. butif u r not sure if u can muddle with your menu, go to some mobile shop and they can do it for you.

Regards

Vivek

One small question. In my mobile I store numbers as +coutry code(phone number) eg +6612345678. now if I use this software will it work on these numbers too? I'm in US right now otherwise I'd have talked to customer care. no guesses please. If anybody of you have actually tried it, please post.

Thanks a ton

Vivek

AIS sent me a nice email some time ago with a simple instruction (in English) and I'm sure DTAC did that as well. Some Thai friends told me the same (in Thai) without without creating any confusion and so I wonder what all this is about.

I guess I better leave this subject, it's all too ridiculous.

just typical of stoopid monkeys, couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery, god help anyone having to use the new suwanapumi airport

i am constantly irritated at the way so much money was stolen from the skytrain budget that they couldnt afford escalators, let alone lifts for the disabled. i see unfortunated mothers with young children, passengers with shopping, luggage, handicapped and old arthritic people like me struggling up 6 flights of stairs in the midday heat - stoopid monkeys

And what does THAT have to do with phones..?

Little update here - i spoke with the Hutch call center (friendly in english) and they told me that specifically AIS is not the fastest in converting all their numbers, and so as of now, when you add the 8 to all mobile numbers in your phone book, if an AIS user calls you, his/her call might still show the old number (without the 8) and thereby will render any personal ringtone, caller ID picture or similar non-functioning.

This should be sorted out over the next couple of weeks, the Hutch lady told me.

And she also told me that there is NO NEED TO CHANGE/UPGRADE THE SIM. As current SIM cards can hold numbers with up to 23 digits. I have tested that just now with all three of my Hutch SIM's and my TRUE and D-TAC as well - all of them can save a name with a 23-digit number. The difference (32k, 64k, whatever) is in the length of the NAME you can save along with the number, which may be 8, 12, 20 or whatever letters long.

As for phone book entries in the phone itself, this is not affected at all, one more digit can always be stored. Heck german mobile numbers are 11 digits since mobiles are on the market there, and there has never been a problem. If saved in international format they are even 14 or 15 digits (inclusive the +) and the SIM's always could hold that. Don't let anyone fool you into buying/"upgrading" the SIM.

Regards.....

Thanh

Just to add a caveat,

I am in the UK for a few weeks, so sent sms to my wife this morning, adding in the 8. She did not get them. Phone call using the same number works fine. Obviously some issue here.

The advice given earlier just to leave this until you have to use the 10 digit number in 3 months time seems well advised. Hopefully by then they will have sorted out the gremlins... :o

As for the aside about the new airport, I will be using it shortly after it opens. Not an experience I am looking forward to :D

Question.....

if have several 100 #'s in outlook and synch with O2, whats the best way to make a bulk change ? I dont keep my numbers in the SIM

I don't use Outlook but since it is a MS product it may have a global find and replace feature. Just have to set the search keys properly. Or possibly a macro function. Would backup first. :o

Edited by tywais