Change from Work Permit to Spouse

I held a non-immigrant 'B' with a work permit. The work permit expired yesterday (31st March) and I had two choices. Namely, leave the country and obtain a non-immigrant 'O' and then apply for an extension based on retirement or use the non-imm 'B' to change to an extension based on my wife. I chose the wife route!

Work permit was duly cancelled and my papers handed over to the immigration officer. I was informed that we needed photographs of a third person together with ourselves that would act as a witness. Time was three o'clock in the afternoon (it took the morning to get the WP cancellation from the Labour office)

I said that there now was not enough time to do this as it involved a trip to my home, call out the mae bann, take the photos, get them printed etc. No problem, do tomorrow pay one day overstay. I had no choice.

Returned today with extra photos and our maid (been with us six years). All fairly smoothly, lots of paper work, copies of maids and wifes ID, tabien bann, etc. Paid the overstay (stamp in passport) then on to another immigration officer.

Asked to sign a paper stating the penalties for overstay and a few other documents. Apparently my one day overstay had to be explained. Some other stuff in Thai which I signed and the wife did not explain fully, but they asked for info regarding my family, number of brothers, sisters, father mother etc and some other paperwork where I had to enter our homes address in full.

We were in Jomptien immigration for around an hour and a half. No glitches, just lots of forms. I now have a stamp which states my extension is now under consideration with a date one month hence to return to immigration with my wife. The cost was 1900B and proof of 400,000B in bank (that has been there for years)

So all in all, a bit of a daunting process, but fairly straight forward. The service in immigration was excellent and we were served quickly. Not sure what will happen now. Maybe a house visit? I think the paperwork was being forwarded to Bangkok for approval. We have been married thirteen years now.

I wonder if next year (if I am spared) I will have to go through the same routine? Is the first application more rigorous? Hope this further informs members and smooths their applications.

Best wishes

What immigration office was that at?

If you had a witness a home visit will not be made.

Where you live determines where you application is sent for approval.

The first extension is normally the only one that you need a witness for. It will be the same paperwork every year but the more you do the easier it seems to get.

Hi Ubonjoe

Many thanks for the reply....sixth paragraph....Jomptien Immigration!

You may recall me requesting info about a retirement extension on a non-imm 'B' some time ago, which was refused by Jomptien immigration, hence my decision to proceed as detailed in my OP.

Have to say it was a convoluted process, but all done fairy efficiently!