Proposing A Toast ?

Hermano Lobo

unless I am horridly mistaken .. Chai Yo does not mean "good health" it means something closer to Hurrah!

to make a toast that is informal "chok dee" is decent

to make one that is more formal you might work with "Phom yaak ja kor hai ...... chewitdee --- deejai talot chewit .... etc etc

unless I am horridly mistaken .. Chai Yo does not mean "good health" it means something closer to Hurrah!

to make one that is more formal you might work with "Phom yaak ja kor hai ...... chewitdee --- deejai talot chewit .... etc etc

jdinasia-

Do you know the correct pronunciations for Chai Yo and the more formal toast ? The correct tones ?

chewitdee = good life

deejai = good heart

Phom yaak ja kor hai = what does this mean ? I know ja puts things in some form of future or would . Phom = I, but yaak kor hai sounds like someting difficult has disappeared ??

"Chok dee" is the one I am used to but it has no form of introduction.

Edited by Hermano Lobo

Phom yaak ja kor hai = what does this mean ? I know ja puts things in some form of future or would . Phom = I, but yaak kor hai sounds like someting difficult has disappeared ??

"Chok dee" is the one I am used to but it has no form of introduction.[/b]

yaak ( อยาก )- want to, would like (to)

kor ( ขอ ) - to ask, to ask for

hai ( ให้ )- to give, to offer

Combined:

kor hai (ขอให)้ - request, beg, ask

So probably 'I would like to request...'

Edited by tywais

jdinasia-

Do you know the correct pronunciations for Chai Yo and the more formal toast ? The correct tones ?

chewitdee = good life

deejai = good heart happiness

"Chok dee" is the one I am used to but it has no form of introduction.

Phom yaak (or yaak ja) Kor ขอ hai ให้

I want ask for/beg/request give/let/allow

Some of the above is a bit mangled but would be acceptable in certain circumstances, with Thais allowing for the Farang habit of making a bit of a mess of things! :o

It depends on the situation too; if its a formal occasion - a Wedding for example - one would usually say something like:

“Pom kor sadaeng kwam sook ..... kwam charoen nai cheewit tdor pbai”

Which basically translates as:

“I would like to wish you happiness and success in your future”

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Spent some time talking about this with friends last night ...

Kor hai khun ___________ (and the compliment/well wishes) seems standard

Would like to hear from Meadish and the rest of the guys whose knowledge far surpasses mine

Ashacat: agree with all three.

Spent some time talking about this with friends last night ...

Kor hai khun ___________ (and the compliment/well wishes) seems standard

Indeed.

If we work with Patrick's suggestion I might use something like:

khor sadaeng khwaam yin dee thii (title, name + dai + reason for happiness) lae khor hai jer dtae khwaam sook khwaam jaroen talawd bpai ... and then, to make people "chai-yo", you start with a loud 'chai' yourself, and hopefully everybody else falls in with a 'yo' in reply.

which can be translated freely into something like this:

Please allow me to express my happiness due to ... and would like to wish her/him/them nothing but happiness and success for all time to come.

Since toasting is not commonplace at Thai events, to make sure one could also explain one's intention to make sure people follow:

khor hai thuk thuk than ruam kan yok kaeow kheun deum pheua hai X + Y mii khwaam sook lae khwaam jaroen talawd bpai

Ladies and Gentlemen, let us all raise our glasses and drink for the everlasting happiness and success of X + Y.

But if you feel uncertain about your ability to make yourself understood with long sentences, go with any of Ashacat's three suggestions. The message will get through and the effort will, most likely, be appreciated.

If you are at a formal event such as a wedding either say the toast in English or make it short in Thai. Either way, it will be a welcome relief for the others after the often lengthy toasts in Thai one hears at such events that go on for minutes at a time. You have not really experienced Thai culture until you have a heard a drunk Thai at a wedding give a 20 minute toast.