More Bonanza firms face close scrutiny

webfact

More Bonanza firms face close scrutiny
PIYANUT TUMNUKASETCHAI,
PRASIT TANGPRASERT,
JANJIRA PONGRAI
THE NATION

30257223-01_big.jpg
This picture shows the spots where the Bonanza International Speedway is allegedly encroaching into forest reserve in Nakhon Ratchasima

EXECUTIVE OF RACETRACK OPERATOR IN PAK CHONG FACES 5 CHARGES ON ENCROACHMENT

BANGKOK: -- MANY other businesses under Bonanza are coming under scrutiny as a probe suggests that they too might have engaged in encroachment on the forest reserve in Nakhon Ratchasima's Pak Chong district.

In addition to a motor-racing track, Bonanza-related firms are operating several other businesses, including a golf course, resorts and a zoo.

Nitischet Sutticharoenkul, an executive of the Bonanza International Speedway, now faces five charges in relation to alleged encroachment, and if convicted he could face up to 20 years in jail and/or a fine of up to Bt150,000.

"He has denied any wrongdoing, but available evidence suggests the speedway is encroaching on forest reserves," Tanawat Sanitsakdee, an official at the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission, said yesterday.

He added that officials would soon summon former politician Paiwong Taechanarong for questioning too as documents showed he began paying local development taxes for the land plots in 2004.

Documents suggest that while Paiwong has documents to prove his ownership for some plots in the area, the racetrack allegedly still encroaches into more than 100 rai (16 hectares) of forest and agricultural-reform land.

In an interview with Nation TV, Paiwong said yesterday that he welcomed investigation.

"I bought these plots a few decades ago. But if the investigators find that they are part of a forest reserve, then I'm ready to hand them over without any conditions."

Meanwhile, he denied speculation that he may have abused his political influence to acquire those plots as well as any suggestion that he has exceptionally close ties with the red-shirt movement. As for why Bonanza facilities were often used for red-shirt gatherings, he said: "I knew some red-shirt leaders from my days as the New Aspiration Party's deputy secretary-general."

Paiwong is among the people summoned by the National Council for Peace and Order after the coup last year.

Justice Minister Paiboon Koomchaya said yesterday that if the allegations were proved to be true, then those involved would face legal punishment whether or not they agreed to vacate the encroached plots.

"At this point, I have received a report that it is quite clear from evidence that the firm was involved in encroachment," he said.

In the meantime, he has assigned the ministry's deputy permanent secretary Dusadee Arawuit to oversee the case, as it involves many agencies. He said action would be taken against not just the company for violating laws, but also against officials who failed to enforce laws despite being aware of the encroachment.

Investigators have also found 16 one-storey houses on the plots.

Separately, Royal Forest Depart-ment director-general Theerapat Prayurasiddhi said relevant authorities had not closed down the Bonanza racecourse pending investigation. "That decision depends on investigators," he said.

Theerapat also said authorities would look into alleged encroachment in other spots nationwide.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/More-Bonanza-firms-face-close-scrutiny-30257223.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-02

Isn't this the race track announced with great fanfare by a (former?) politician? The one who along with his followers abandoned the Shin clan and their party to help the Dems get into power. Surprised to see his name not mentioned.

They were going to get a GP there, and all sorts of international events.

So only those 5 spots are encroaching? I would be investigating the deeds of the huge piece of land that makes up most of the racetrack. It just seems a bit odd that the boundry of a reserve would have an odd wedge taken out of it.

He will return the land no condition's how about restoring it to it's former state? Typical Thai Get caught I didn't do that it is all an misunderstanding It was Somchai who sold me the land at cheap price. Yes it was below market value but I thought he doing merit.

• Like 1

He will return the land no condition's how about restoring it to it's former state? Typical Thai Get caught I didn't do that it is all an misunderstanding It was Somchai who sold me the land at cheap price. Yes it was below market value but I thought he doing merit.

Hope he gets jailtime.. these kind of guys need to learn a hard lesson.

• Like 1

Isn't this the race track announced with great fanfare by a (former?) politician? The one who along with his followers abandoned the Shin clan and their party to help the Dems get into power. Surprised to see his name not mentioned.

They were going to get a GP there, and all sorts of international events.

including the Tour De France??

He isn;t going to get jail time....his family is rich as Croesus....the case will quietly be forgotten about

He isn;t going to get jail time....his family is rich as Croesus....the case will quietly be forgotten about

If so, then it will again show that nothing is really changing for the boys and girls at the top,

Why are all these forest ,land encroachments always found out

after the fact,when there is a resort or in this case a race track.

are the forest rangers asleep when the trucks roll past full of

building materials and equipment ?

regards Worgeordie

Why are all these forest ,land encroachments always found out

after the fact,when there is a resort or in this case a race track.

are the forest rangers asleep when the trucks roll past full of

building materials and equipment ?

regards Worgeordie

No but their bosses are cashing the cheques!