Best 5 known Bangkok scams !

Sandman77

The "Swami"....."you are a lucky man".

An Indian guy approached me with this too: "Sir, you are very lucky man, I can see it in your face". Just said no and kept on walking, but I'm curious how does the scam go? I mean what would have happened if I had been interested in what he had to say?

An Indian guy approached me with this too: "Sir, you are very lucky man, I can see it in your face". Just said no and kept on walking, but I'm curious how does the scam go? I mean what would have happened if I had been interested in what he had to say?

I had that happen, just walked off

Connect 4, bar game where the bar girls are completely useless and you win every time playing for fun, until money is involved then all of a sudden they become professional

Never had that problem. The girls used to go professional on my ass from the outset.

• Like 1

What is the boy scout scam ?

smile.png

The one I'm familiar with is a older Thai male dressed in what appears to be a boy scout uniform will approach you. He will pin some sort of cheap medal on your shirt then produce a small notebook and ask for a donation for the scouts. When you make the donation he will ask you to sign his notebook noting where you're from etc. If you don't make a donation he will quickly grab back the medal. The scam is that whatever donations he collects never make it to the boy scouts. Just another hustler.

This happened to me the morning of the 1st day of my 1st trip to Asia, at a public park in Hong Kong. I found it amusing and he seemed relatively harmless so I let him go on. Without me saying a word, he mentions some things about my past that could probably apply to anyone, and then he makes some predictions on my future, generally positive. I just stood there and grinned at him.

After I'd heard enough I just waved, said 'have a nice day' and started to walk away.

He held out his hand and asked for a contribution, saying "I am Holy Man !". I just laughed at him. "Holy Man ! Can you please give me some money? I am Holy Man !!"

"Good for you" I said and walked away without giving him anything.

Soooo... I was so curious and did some swami men hunting on my own and found two of them:

1. In front of the McDonalds near Rama 5, went something like this:

"Sir you are very lucky man"

"Go on"

"There are two women you know who love you very much, I can tell you for a very small price my friend"

"Alright, can you name them now?"

"1000 baht my friend"

"Alright but tell me the names first"

"I am sorry but I need 1000 baht first sir"

"Why can't you tell me now?"

"I need the money to focus my special powers sir"

Walked away...

2. An Indian tailor in front of his shop in Nana:

"Sir you are very lucky man" (This is getting old)

"Go on"

"I can see it in your face, you are very lucky."

Gestures me to come into his shop, I play along.

"I can read in your face that you have been hurt by a woman and now you are looking for drugs to escape. It is ok my friend I take drugs too and I can give you special price"

Walked away...

Well, there you have it, my firsthand experience with the famous swami men.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

1. Democracy will be restored soon.

2. I will step down as soon as possible.

3. They are only attitude readjustment camps.

4. They voluntarily confessed.

5. I have your best interests at heart.

Bonus

6. Martial law lifted in Thailand.

book one way ticket home....

I had one of those swami holy men ask me if he guessed my mother's name would I give him 1,000/ baht.

I dont know how he did it, but, he wrote her name on a piece of paper then handed it to me,

I stared in disbelief as he got it right and.

I paid his fee and bought him a coffee....

It was an interesting conversation, but in the end, for another 1500/baht, I coudda had a soapy

• 2 weeks later...

"My daughter is going to your country to work."

A smartly dressed guy with good English engaged me in conversation outside a 7/11 on Soi 4 Sukh one morning. When I told told him I was Irish he told me his daughter was due to start nursing training in Dublin. What a coincidence. I am sure most of you have read about this scam many times. Could I talk to her? She is not available right now. Could I go with him to meet her?

Anyone foolish enough to believe this patter have been known to have been drugged, scammed at cards, in some extreme cases have had a kidney removed.

He was a very plausible guy who didn't bat an eyelid when I told him I had no intention of going anywhere with him. .