Lucky Man Guys

kyb789

Has anyone had experience with these guys? They are everywhere around lower Sukhumvit and I don't know what is their scam. They have stopped me numerous times and I just laugh them off. Sometimes they keep walking with me and talking. Even my rude replies don't shake them off very well. I give them credit for their patience.

I think I know who you mean, he's an Indian guy who wears a turban. He's been hanging around lower Sukhumvit around the Soi 5-9 area for years. I remember walking on Sukhumvit in that general area about 6 or 7 years ago and this guy said 'you're a lucky man', I looked up and replied 'I know' and continued on my way.

He followed for a bit trying to sell me his services as a fortune teller. If this is the same guy he's been doing this for a long time !

There's an old thread on this particular scam here http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?8516-Khaosarn-Road-A-new-scam.

I have been approached by them in the past when I was new to Thailand, but luckily never bit, fearing, as it turned out, correctly, it would somehow end up with me losing my money.

The funny thing is, if you ask a person tricked in this particular scam how they ended up giving 8000+ Baht to a complete stranger they just met on the street a few minutes earlier, they invariably give some vague answer that doesn't really explain anything. I can only guess embarrassment at what has happened to them must play some part in this.

You see these particular scammers day in, day out, year after year in the same locations such as Khao San Rd, so they are presumably making a living from it.

There are many of them. Indians. They drive me crazy following me. They don't even remember that they already tried to talk to me the day before. I told one guy the police were looking for him and I had seen his face on the internet. He didn't even look concerned.

After reading the posts on the other forum, I'm tempted to look for these "lucky guys" myself. The victims can easily part away with thousands of bahts and these fortune teller predicted the victims' parents's name, friends' name etc accurately. I want to go down and experience how they perform this trick. Obviously, before that, I must look emotionally weak and look like a newbie to Thailand.

One told me once that I have a lucky forehead, if you could see the scar on my forehead I am sure you could guess me reply to this one, another told me I was lucky and asked if I know why, I told him because I don't have to harass people on the street telling them they are lucky to earn a living.

My guess is that it is backpackers that fall for this spiritual shit while they are 'trying to find themselves'

There are many of them. Indians. They drive me crazy following me.

Ah ah, i only had two people grabbing my wrist in Thailand, one was a BahtBus driver and the other was a young indian(?) man outside of a tailor shop.

This young indian man grab came totally unexpected while i was walking on the foothpath with other friends on Beach Road in Pattaya, they just stand outside of their shop bothering passer by, i almost had a fight as they were not willing to release my arm, what a leeching way to live.

I had one of these guys walk up to me and say I have a lucky face. I asked why, and he said my forehead. He said he was an Indian shaman, and that I had good luck and he would tell me for free. So I sat with him, and he told me a girl would cast an evil spell on me, but I would be a success. He then asked me to contribute some money to find out how big of a success I would be. He had a three tier pricing system, 3,000, 2,000, and 1,000. I told him I only had two hundred baht, and I could give him one hundred. He got visibly upset, and I told him I knew it would happen, cause I can tell fortunes too, and for the moment, his wasn't good!!!!!

Needless to say, I still don't know how big of a success I'll be, and I still haven't had an evil spell put on me (unless you count PTP)! Maybe I should go to Issan?

There are many of them. Indians. They drive me crazy following me.

Ah ah, i only had two people grabbing my wrist in Thailand, one was a BahtBus driver and the other was a young indian(?) man outside of a tailor shop.

This young indian man grab came totally unexpected while i was walking on the foothpath with other friends on Beach Road in Pattaya, they just stand outside of their shop bothering passer by, i almost had a fight as they were not willing to release my arm, what a leeching way to live.

In situations like that I have often found a swift kneecap to the balls helps.

Had the same happen to me outside some dump on Beach Rd, a girls name that begins with the letter M.

This turban guy has been hanging around lower sukhumvit for last couple of years at least. He came up to me once while I was sat in restaurant in Suk 7/1, told me I had a lucky face

gave me a 'gift' of wooden beads and then took a black and white photo from his wallet of a bunch of kids whi he said were orphans in his home village. He asked me how much I

could donate and suggested 1000 or 2000 baht.!

Came up to me a second time abou a year later in Soi 4 (nana), very perceptive guy - opening line was 'you are very lucky' you have a lot of women in your life!

Er well guess it is Nana Soi 4! :rolleyes: Also saw him 1 time with 3 other Indian turban guys enjoying a Mcdonalds breakfast on Suk Soi 2.

This guy is a low life and very annoying, probably is a tailor too - think may be linked to Worraburi Hotel at end of Soi 4.

I gave him 500 Baht and he foresaw me winning the lottery. If you see him again can you ask him where I left the ticket....

Reminds me of the joke about the guy praying for help..

God's voice comes down from above, "Hey, help me out a little.. Buy the lottery ticket".

me and my roommates have been approached by these guys multiple times around Thong Lo, and even at the Tops supermarket on Thong Lo, with the same line "You have a lucky face, do you know that?" After the initial confusion, I have just brushed them off

lol

after years of craftily selling peanuts - only the best will graduate to the lucky lucky face scam.

they wanted the fakes scam - the locals had it covered.

they wanted the drug scam - the africans had it covered

they wanted the money lending scam - the chinese had booked that one.

they wanted the holiday insurance scams - pipped there by the europeans.

However, the lucky lucky face scam was still available so best one scam than none at all biggrin.gif

After reading the posts on the other forum, I'm tempted to look for these "lucky guys" myself. The victims can easily part away with thousands of bahts and these fortune teller predicted the victims' parents's name, friends' name etc accurately. I want to go down and experience how they perform this trick. Obviously, before that, I must look emotionally weak and look like a newbie to Thailand.

A NEWBIE., Yes you are . The Thai language has NO plurals. You make the plurals differently. So, You cannot have BAHTS. Correctly, you can say Thousands of Baht. Instead of a thousand dollars. But full marks to you -you did spell Baht correctly .So many write BATHS. 1,000 BATHS- i do not want to carry 1,000 BATHS to pay for something. Baths are bloody heavy. I do not understand how so many posters are so disrespectful to Thais and their language, that they cannot spell the name of the currency correctly

I sat with one in starbucks one time...it is a name and numbers thing and he basically increases the amount each time he asks you for something.....He asked me if I would give him 100 baht if he could tell me my mothers name or something like that from memory......I said NO and he was bewildered.

Another time his accomplice said 'you have a lucky face'....I said...'I just got diagnosed with cancer this morning, so not that fuc_king lucky'

• 1 month later...

I had a guy like that approach me and say -- I know your Mother's name. I thought that was a clever opening line anyway. No, I didn't bite.

Came across one like that in Burma many years ago, he got you to write it down and strangely it matched the name on another piece of paper he had. 'Strangely' if you didn't notice the piece of carbon paper he had.

I had a guy like that approach me and say -- I know your Mother's name. I thought that was a clever opening line anyway. No, I didn't bite.

I was surprised that I had someone approach me - first being female and second, not looking Western. He first asked if I knew why I was lucky - I told him that I did. Then he said that he was going to tell me my mothers name. I told him he had one second as I needed to run an errand. He said that he needed only a minute. I told him that I was be back in about 30 minutes, and he could tell me then. Of course, when I returned from my errand, he was no longer on the street. Now, I'll never know if he was a real fortune teller. :ermm:

• 3 weeks later...

i've experienced one guy in nana once. he did the lucky guy thing, and cuz i was waiting for someone and had nothing better to do i wanted to see his little "show". he basically told me that i had a masturbation addiction, but that i will find the girl of my dreams who will please me sexually. he then offered to tell me who she is and when i would find her if i paid him. for rich people it was 8000 baht, for middle class people it was 5000 baht, and for poor people it was 3000 baht. and then he said that he felt i was a rich person and that would be my rate. i said "thanks for the neat swapping paper trick, here's 20 baht" and left.