Pichit holds funeral for dead street lamps

webfact

Now they need to something about the road that was built with a massive tree in the middle of it, in Kanchanaburi.

bho1.jpg

That tree miraculously sprung out through the road after it was built. Notice the temple wall beyond?

Now they need to something about the road that was built with a massive tree in the middle of it, in Kanchanaburi.

bho1.jpg

That tree miraculously sprung out through the road after it was built. Notice the temple wall beyond?

post-201895-0-01040600-1428032513_thumb.

Obviously not overly popular lights as only 8 people attended the funeral, or did they miraculously burst onto light following the service?

Only 8 people eh? In most places that would be considered a light turn out.

Only the dim would fail to notice the electrifying atmosphere. It was a bright idea and, at recent poles, the switched on locals gave the 8 fixtures (shown in the photo) the power to hold the illuminating ceremony.

• Like 1

Here in our Amphor (Ban Dung, Udon Thani) repairs for dead street lamps have to be paid for by the local businesses/residences or anyone who cares. The power authority carries out the work. Yet, in the out lying Tambons the Or-Bor-Tor pays for (from his budget) and makes sure the work is carried out. As such the out lying areas are better lit than the city - try to figure that out!!

Thai 'Buddhism' had been degraded to some Walt Disney-like kids play but clearly has nothing to do with practicing religion on a sincere and mature way.

On the contrary, I invite you to consider this from a different perspective:

- Gatherings of 5 people or more deemed to be political are banned. Had the locals gathered to protest the situation the risked imprisonment and/or hefty fines. The right to express dissent or to bring attention to a problem has been removed from the Thai people. This is the reality since the coup.

- The funeral was a brilliant method to circumvent the ban on political activity. There was no way the authorities would have allowed a meeting or protest to occur on this matter. The locals kept it small to avoid provoking anyone, but were still able to get their point across.

- The funeral wasn't just for the streetlights, but highlighted to the risk to the local community, thereby acting to save lives. Who knows how many crashes, injuries, or fatalities have occurred since the power lines were cut. The monk is serving the public interest and perhaps saving lives by doing this. It was most likely well considered before accepted. Isn't one of the roles of a monk to make the world a little better?

As such, I ask you to reconsider and not be so harsh in your judgement.

I certainly agree with you in a world full of Army generals....facepalm.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Who said Thai people don't have a sense of humor.......................!!

Bravo!! alt=clap2.gif> alt=clap2.gif>

Agree, but on a more serious note it again highlights the overall lack of accountability of officials, who are paid from the common wealth of all Thai people, and it highlights their total inability to:

- Plan regular maintenance.

- Have monitoring systems & processes in place whereby broken equipment is quickly noticed and / or there is public monitoring with some simple reward*. (also, it would very probably be true that local officials (whatever level) pass this area every day, but nothing reported - in other words thy have no commitment to their job and / or they are just stupid and should not be in such positions in the first place - possibly nepotism / buy the job systems in place.)

- Ensure very quick response 24/7 when failed equipment is reported.

*Side note: In some cities in Australia there used to be a system whereby anybody who reported broken equipment (all equipment: traffic lights, street lights has a clearly marked individual code number) was promptly rewarded by receiving five expensive lottery tickets, and the system worked . Not sure if that system is still in place.

This is a "feel-good" thread and a tribute to Thai humor, can't we keep it that way??rolleyes.gif
You misunderstand the relevance of this. It was in the media today. They had no choice but to make a show of this to get someone to take action to fix them. The lights will be fixed within a week now that it has been promoted across the land on TV. These people have been waiting 3months already with no light

I feel for the roadside traders that have been without power to run their stalls from some jerry rigged wires running out of the street light's inspection panel.

While on this topic for discussion and I don't know how to do the OP thing. Why do traffic lights go to Take a Chance mode at 9pm. Well where I live they do. I come home from my pub refreshed and in the 1k back from my pub are a set of lights on AH2 that are set to flashing red. I can see the traffic coming towards me but not those rushing south as there is a high hedge down the central res. The ones after 9pm on AH2 consider it is their right of way and have no need to slow for a flashing light, I would consider a flashing red to be a cause to take care and slow down. Of course being refreshed would not help if I got T boned . This is one reason for me going to my pub in the Toyota Virus not on the PCX.

bho1.jpg

Haha.

But no. biggrin.png

bodtree.jpg

The locals asked the council to remove it or build a roundabout around it.

They refused saying that it is fine the way it is. crazy.gif You may notice small little street lights and nothing else.... things might get interesting rather quickly if driving around there at night.

Edited by Happy Grumpy