speed cameras - anyone else had experiences with them

madmonk888

Has anyone else experienced speed cameras here . The first one for me was the guy who sits under an umbrella on the Bagna Trat motorway and when you get to the toll you are stopped by the police and we know the rest but recently I was driving back from Ayutthaya on motorway 9 and in the middle of the road, sat up against a lamp post was a , I assume policeman , dressed entirely in black including the balaclava , looking ninja like and hard to see , holding what look like a speed camera in his hand , and lastly today on a normal 3 lane road in Chonburi there was a camera on a tripod sitting on it's own, not a policeman is sight ....

Now I could be being paranoid and of course I am used to warning signs in my home country and laws prohibiting "trapping" people but does anyone have any explanation for my sightings and any similar experiences. Also do they send fines through the post with photos as they do elsewhere ? Interested to know how it all works here

About 2 years ago I received a photo of my vehicle, the speed I was doing, and an insistent offer to donate 400 baht to the police. The photo was taken near Korat, and was accurate with the speed I was doing.

About 2 years ago I received a photo of my vehicle, the speed I was doing, and an insistent offer to donate 400 baht to the police. The photo was taken near Korat, and was accurate with the speed I was doing.

Thanks Sealbash. Did you see the camera that caught you ? I like the insistent offer :-). I've heard you can't get a new tax disc if these are outstanding but not heard of anyone who has had this

I do not know about the tax disc. I paid the fine, as I was guilty, I knew I was guilty, and there was no point disputing that fact. I did not notice anyone on the side of the highway, perhaps I was going too fast?

Edited by Sealbash

On the Bang Na Tradt elevated toll there is now permanent ones heading north just before the Bang Bo and Bang plee exits. You can see them mounted on the outside wall. The ones on ther southbound carriage way I think it is just before the bang plee exit.

In December when the police were going through their 'training' there was about 10 police with a mobile one in the central reservation near Index in Chonburi.

Where is this umbrella guy ?

2 months ago highway 7 Pattaya-Bangkok about 3 kliks after the first tollgate send me a nice picture from my car , me driving, doing 145 km/h need to go to 7 eleven to pay 400 THB.

So you can go to 7-11 to pay. That's cool. Thanks for sharing

umbrella man is before the toll booth at Bang Na going out of town. He is on the left before that glass building .. something Design . I think

Thanks never noticed him.

Design square I think it's called.

The ones ont he bang na tradt northbound. the Bang Bo is maybe 100m before the slip way and the Bang plee maybe 2-300 metres before the slipway.

umbrella man is before the toll booth at Bang Na going out of town. He is on the left before that glass building .. something Design . I think

Thanks never noticed him.

Design square I think it's called.

The ones ont he bang na tradt northbound. the Bang Bo is maybe 100m before the slip way and the Bang plee maybe 2-300 metres before the slipway.

He can also be found after the toll gate inbound just before the curve right and the toll exit to daokanong.

A fix camera is situated on the road between Chiang Mai and Lampun, you don't even know it is there until the summons comes through the post a couple of days later demanding 400BT.

In January I received a photo of my pick up and a fine through the post. The fine was 200บ if paid within 14 days or 400บ if paid later.

'Unfortunately' it was over 2 weeks before the letter arrived and I had to go to the post office and send a counter cheque to the Police Station in Chayaphum.

I was obviously speeding so no contest, sent the money and that was the end of it.

I keep telling everyone. the letters are sent by normal not registered post. so if you get a problem later you can say post never arrived. we have got caught 4 times now over 3 years and never paid and no problems

2 months ago highway 7 Pattaya-Bangkok about 3 kliks after the first tollgate send me a nice picture from my car , me driving, doing 145 km/h need to go to 7 eleven to pay 400 THB.

Why would your be doing 145 km/h and telling everyone here are you for real doing that speed or just sorry to say stupid.

I keep telling everyone. the letters are sent by normal not registered post. so if you get a problem later you can say post never arrived. we have got caught 4 times now over 3 years and never paid and no problems

Keep telling everyone to keep thumbing their nose at the law, everyone is happy. But make sure you come back and tell us when you have a hassle renewing your mandatory insurance, paying road tax or renewing your DL, OK? They are implementing the systems for automated speeding tickets and linking them to owners and drivers and it will be nice to know when it's all working.

Thanks for volunteering to be the guinea pig.

Why would your be doing 145 km/h and telling everyone here are you for real doing that speed or just sorry to say stupid.

Because he normally does 160 km/h but if he told us that, you would need to go take your blood pressure meds and lie down?

I got my first automated speeding ticket almost exactly 1 year ago as I hammered it down the main spur from Highway 7 into Suvarnhabumi. Judging by the camera angle, it's a pole-mounted speed camera on the central median.

Since my haste succeeded in getting Mrs NL to her check-in on time (she slept in), she insisted on taking care of the ticket for me... a real sweetheart huh? But it was paid by post to the Highway Police Station near the airport, as addressed on the back of the ticket.

Pay speeding fines at a 7-eleven now? I guess martial law and/or article 44 has its benefits!

Edited by NanLaew

It is about time it happened here they need it bad .

Western ways are spreading to The Kingdom. In Canada, speed enforcement is rampant. Police with radar guns hiding behind trees, cars and hydro poles are common. So are radar devices in moving cars, and fines in the mail from stationary cameras. Speeding here is like a voluntary tax ! And each ticket drives our insurance premium up.