speed cameras - anyone else had experiences with them

madmonk888

I drive in and out of BKK quite often, and after getting 3 tickets for doing around 145-155 in the mail, from the unmanned camera at about kilometre 74 of the inbound highway 7, I now figured out that you need to be doing above 170 and the camera is not fast enough to get you picture. Being in the outside lane helps too, as it seems to be pointed at the fast lane.

Never had one since, until I got one just before Xmas on the BangNa Trat. I was going to slow again. Tried to figure out where it was, but was not sure, but looks like it must be one of the ones mentioned above near BanPli exit.

The last one was 1K baht, and all the previous ones were only 500.

for those who are regular drivers down to hua hin watch out for the camera on rama 2 southbound, the guy is always in the same place (nice of him) in the bushes on the central reservation after the Samut Songkran bridge between the 76 and 77 k marker. got me twice (which i paid) before i worked out where he was; now i slow down and give him a wave. he seems to be there pretty much every time i pass at the moment.

I must say i didnt know you could pay these at 7/11, would save the queue at the post office, can anyone confirm and does this apply to all speeding tickets?

2 months ago highway 7 Pattaya-Bangkok about 3 kliks after the first tollgate send me a nice picture from my car , me driving, doing 145 km/h need to go to 7 eleven to pay 400 THB.

Why would your be doing 145 km/h and telling everyone here are you for real doing that speed or just sorry to say stupid.

He's not stupid, he's selfish, he is putting other drivers and riders at risk. Those thoughtless drivers or riders doing 145Kph just don't care,

and everyone caught should be banned from the roads.

Up until I read this topic, I thought it was mainly Thai drivers who regularly drove at speeds of around 140 Kph.

Now I know Farangs are just as bad where speeding is concerned.

You guys admitting to deliberately driving at 140 Kph, I hope you die before you kill innocent people.

Now I could be being paranoid and of course I am used to warning signs in my home country and laws prohibiting "trapping"

I can't see this as any form of entrapment - the speed limit is fixed although not commonly Signed on the sides of the road.

Why would your be doing 145 km/h and telling everyone here are you for real doing that speed or just sorry to say stupid.

145 kph is hardly excessive speeding, of course this is just an opinion. On a quiet Tollway / Express way (i.e. such as the Bang Na Trad onto which Dogs, Motorcycles etc can't suddenly pull out on you) you'll see many cars travelling at 160 kmh (approx 100 mph). Not that this is lawful, but I don't see it as excessively dangerous - IMO it would be much more dangerous to see cars in the 1960's travelling at 70 mph (112 mph) in the UK.

More on Topic:

I was stopped by Mobile Speed Camera operating BiB a few years back. I didn't see the speed camera and the BiB couldn't tell me what speed I was doing. When they asked me how fast I was going, I pointed out that it was for them to tell me, I also asked them what the speed limit was - I was told 95 kph by one Police Man and 90 kmh by another.

In short, they'd just pulled their bike to the side of the road at a traffic lights and were chancing their luck at collecting fines.

I was told to drive more slowly (safe facing measure of the BiB) and waved on my way.

This is a good thread, It's Interesting to know where the cameras are. It would also be interesting to know exactly what the speed limits are on various roads, as its never posted on signs.

The Expressway has the 80 kph sign permanently illuminated, yet a friend has been caught for speeding at 13kmh over 120 kmh limit on the Bang Na Trad (exiting town before the large toll booth).

Up until I read this topic, I thought it was mainly Thai drivers who regularly drove at speeds of around 140 Kph.

You guys admitting to deliberately driving at 140 Kph, I hope you die before you kill innocent people.

This purely depends on where they are doing these speeds.

If drivers are on an enclosed motorway (i.e. around Bangkok) then I'd consider these speeds safe when road and traffic conditions permit.

However, if driving upcountry I'd suggest these speeds are excessive and dangerous, especially in areas where a country lad on his motorcycle could pull out without looking, or a loaded pickup travelling at 50 kph can suddenly change lanes etc

140 kph is 86mph - Speeds which are frequently reached on British Motorways (which are *enclosed)

The speed limit of 70 mph (112 kph) has not changed for 40 years or so...

Stopping distances and car stability has improved significantly since then - Where conditions permit (i.e. good weather, quiet motorway) I see no reason not to have 'variable' speed limits (In the UK).

In Thailand, the Bang Na Trad Toll way is one such highway which could safely permit faster driving - but this purely depends on conditions / traffic etc - but this would also require monitoring of these conditions which is not going to happen. Thus: IF on a quiet Sunday Morning with no traffic someone wishes to drive at 145 kmh on the Bang Na Trad I don't see any safety issue.

(*Enclosed: meaning that traffic can only enter at official motorway entrances)

Sold a car over a year ago - have received two speeding claims since, accompanied by very good photos and claim for 400Bt each time. I informed the salesroom I sold the car to, and the response was "Do nothing. If the fine is not paid, it will be added to the cost of re-taxing at the next occurrence!"

I keep telling everyone. the letters are sent by normal not registered post. so if you get a problem later you can say post never arrived. we have got caught 4 times now over 3 years and never paid and no problems

...................never paid and no problems YET

Yermanee

Seems your not content with just commentating on foreigners who like a beer, your now turning your sights onto some foreigners who go over the speed limit and wishing them an early grave.

Did you ever stop to think that these foreigners would be used to travelling at similar speeds on motorways in their own countries and ALL of them would have taken a proper driving test .

Can you say the same of the Thai drivers ?

Somewhere between City and Don Mueang on elevated tollway....very confusing as there are 3 different Speed Limit signs on the road over this distance...ie; 80...90...110...I was photographed doing 120, so a fair cop...I was surprised when I received the letter in the post as they usually stop you at the toll plaza for cash. I have been pulled over several times while NOT speeding, but was able to talk them around....camera was the only time I have had to pay.

True they won't let you renew registration until you pay.

Was driving on the motorway the other day with a sign to my left stating the speed limit was 120 while the flashing light on the right stated 90... TiT

Kurt

Happens in many countries. The standard speedlimit can be overridden by an active system which adjusts to the traffic circumstances.

Was driving on the motorway the other day with a sign to my left stating the speed limit was 120 while the flashing light on the right stated 90... TiT

Kurt

Happens in many countries. The standard speedlimit can be overridden by an active system which adjusts to the traffic circumstances.

If you have been on the motorway to Pattaya, you know as well as I do that those 90k flashing ones never change. If you are lucky you will spot the one directly beside the regular speed sign that says 120 lol

A fix camera is situated on the road between Chiang Mai and Lampun, you don't even know it is there until the summons comes through the post a couple of days later demanding 400BT.

Is that the old road with the very tall trees or the Chiang Mai-Lampang highway? I never noticed a camera there. Where is it located?

Kurt

If you have been on the motorway to Pattaya, you know as well as I do that those 90k flashing ones never change. If you are lucky you will spot the one directly beside the regular speed sign that says 120 lol
The 90 signs are generally before the humps over the klongs and were needed before they improved the humps.

Thought i was gonna take off a few times before they lessened the up slope.

Edited by Bangkokhatter

The wife got caught doing 115 instead of 90, somewhere around Rama 2, Bangkok. This is 3 years ago. Ticket and photo in the mail, baht 500 fine fine paid and forgotten.

I got stopped years back driving from Bangkok to Pocket. What got me was that there never are signs notifying you when you city limits end. There are the ones when it starts, but the end one needs to figure out oneself. I did not have to pay anything,was just told to use the leftist lane an drive careful....

My GPS warns me for speed cams, not sure how accurate the information is. I use android Navigator with Tom Tom maps.

for those who are regular drivers down to hua hin watch out for the camera on rama 2 southbound, the guy is always in the same place (nice of him) in the bushes on the central reservation after the Samut Songkran bridge between the 76 and 77 k marker. got me twice (which i paid) before i worked out where he was; now i slow down and give him a wave. he seems to be there pretty much every time i pass at the moment.

I must say i didnt know you could pay these at 7/11, would save the queue at the post office, can anyone confirm and does this apply to all speeding tickets?

There's also a fixed speed camera on the pedestrian footbridge between Tesco and Big C, seems to be switched on only on Fridays, and the speed limit varies between 90-110 at least according to the last 2 tickets I've copped in as many weeks. Judging by the pictures received on the ticket, the camera itself appears to be focussed on the 'fast' lane..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This purely depends on where they are doing these speeds.

If drivers are on an enclosed motorway (i.e. around Bangkok) then I'd consider these speeds safe when road and traffic conditions permit.

However, if driving upcountry I'd suggest these speeds are excessive and dangerous, especially in areas where a country lad on his motorcycle could pull out without looking, or a loaded pickup travelling at 50 kph can suddenly change lanes etc

140 kph is 86mph - Speeds which are frequently reached on British Motorways (which are *enclosed)

The speed limit of 70 mph (112 kph) has not changed for 40 years or so...

Stopping distances and car stability has improved significantly since then - Where conditions permit (i.e. good weather, quiet motorway) I see no reason not to have 'variable' speed limits (In the UK).

In Thailand, the Bang Na Trad Toll way is one such highway which could safely permit faster driving - but this purely depends on conditions / traffic etc - but this would also require monitoring of these conditions which is not going to happen. Thus: IF on a quiet Sunday Morning with no traffic someone wishes to drive at 145 kmh on the Bang Na Trad I don't see any safety issue.

(*Enclosed: meaning that traffic can only enter at official motorway entrances)

Limit access highway is what you mean. There should be more of those in Thailand - only now has there been talk of finally (after more than 10 years) building a limited access expressway from Bang Pa-in (continuing on from the end of the eastern outer ring road) to Nakorn Ratchasima, as well as another expressway from Bang Yai to Nakorn Pathom and continuing onto Kanchanaburi, and lastly an extension of the Bangkok-Chonburi-Pattaya motorway to Rayong I think it is, although they would do well to enclose the current Chonburi-Pattaya section better as it currently falls short of my definition of an expressway (motorway).