Borrowed Words in the Thai language

meltingpot2015

I think you meant มาย็องเนส. And of course the ending is a /t/. There's no /s/ finals in Thai. And the tone of the final syllable is falling, not high.

• The commoner spelling, and the one in the Thai wikipedia, has no maitaikhu.
  • There are /s/ finals, though /t/ is always an alternative. ก๊าซ is particular likely to be pronounced with final /s/.
  • The tone seems to be all over the place. I'm not sure that the final syllable is always [F]nees in

At the beginning, two times the man in the video pronouces " mayonnaise " with the " s " at the end ( like the French pronounciation ) but I think this man has learned somwhere else how to pronounce it ( may be in a cooking school )

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes the sounds of borrowed words become altered so much as to become incomprehensible to us non-native Thai speakers, and hard to say to boot.

On the subject of food, here’s a word I have difficulty with. I love a serving of Mayonnaise with my fries at KFC or McDonalds. This simple request is invariably met by perplexed looks. The Thai pronunciation is so different from the English - Ma– yong – nait - with the last syllable high, and ending in a kind of ‘t’ even though it’s spelt with Sor Seur in Thai (มายองเนส). Frustrating!

I think you meant มาย็องเนส. And of course the ending is a /t/. There's no /s/ finals in Thai. And the tone of the final syllable is falling, not high.

Really, there's no point criticising Thai pronunciation. It's just the same in English with borrowed words. Most English people don't pronounce Paris or penguin or bruschetta correctly.

Thank you, AyG, for letting us know how "bruschetta" is pronounced. I thought it was with a "sh", not with a "k" sound. I appreciate the correction.

มายองเนส sounds like nait to me at the end

http://www.thai-language.com/id/138456

from what i gather, if you go in isaan and meet somchai that doest know what how are you mean, it will be ending in Nait. If you meet someone semi-international it will be ending with S because they know the english word and prefer it.

Edited by bearpolar

from what i gather, if you go in isaan and meet somchai that doest know what how are you mean, it will be ending in Nait. If you meet someone semi-international it will be ending with S because they know the english word and prefer it.

Yes, I agree.

Compare the presenter at 0.49 with the clearer 'Nais' sound, to the Chef, from 6.00 - 6.54 who pronounces the final syllable 'Nait'. In my previous post I said that I thought the tone was high, but here it's more of a medium tone I think. Anyway, I will try to pronounce it like the Chef, the next time I order my Mayo.

Appreciate everybody's input.

It's not an English word : there are several interpretation of it's origins

the most common accepted is that it comes from the name " Mahon ", Minorque capital ( Baleares island , Spain )

In 1756, the French took the city ( occupated by the English ) ; to celebrate this victory, the " maréchal de France " Richelieu ( great-nephew of the minister Richelieu ) gave a big dinner , and the cook tried a new sauce recipe he had discovered in Minorque ( mix of olive oil and eggs ) ; everybody loved the sauce , which was called " sauce Mahonnaise "

Edited by Aforek

it's all interesting but if you want to tell somchai in a 500 people village that you want mayonnaise you will have to say mai yong nait which comes down to the true thai language

we all know thai grammar was made by the biggest troll of all anyways :>

... if you want to tell somchai in a 500 people village that you want mayonnaise you will have to say mai yong nait ...

Is this for fear of attack? I'm sure he'd understand the word if you used /s/. Or are you suggesting that Somchai isn't an ethnic Thai?

it's all interesting but if you want to tell somchai in a 500 people village that you want mayonnaise you will have to say mai yong nait which comes down to the true thai language

True: I never order mayonnaise, but if I have to, I would pronouce the word in the way Thai people in front of me does

ma yo net in a village and ma yo nnaise in a five stars restaurant ( we have to adapt ourself ... )

... if you want to tell somchai in a 500 people village that you want mayonnaise you will have to say mai yong nait ...

Is this for fear of attack? I'm sure he'd understand the word if you used /s/. Or are you suggesting that Somchai isn't an ethnic Thai?

Because it's his country, his language and i have to adapt to it, from experience he would not understand even though its quite similar. Its just like when a muslim comes to my country he should not try to change my country into a Muhammad shrine and should not be allowed to bring a massive sword to work.

It's called respect. Nothing i hate more than people who are too self-centred to make an effort, people from the UK's are a good example of this. They come here and usually make no effort to talk slowly and clearly in English, they just go full-on with slang/accents with thais or non-English first language tourists and expect to be understood clearly.

Somechai was taught that the word is mai-yong-nait, i will use mai-yong-nait with him and if the guy sitting across the table has learned mayonnaise, i will use mayonnaise with him. Just like i would use simple english with a beginner in english or i would change my accent accordingly if i were speaking with a french from Quebec, France or Belgium.

If you're a good person, you can teach somechai that the correct international world is mayonnaise and him using it would simplify his interaction with foreigners without attacking his language.

Edited by bearpolar

How about: Nut

Thai Translation is also Nut. Not the same pronunciation as English though. Heard Thai's pronounce this a variety of ways (about as many ways as there are types of nuts). Okay I exaggerate.

Going by this website: http://lingopolo.com/thai/online-lessons/food/content

The thai word for Cashew nut is: เม็ดมะม่วง (Mĕd mam̀wng)

By the way is the Thai pronouciation correct in that website. DOes the speaker use correct tones?.

Edited by meltingpot2015

By the way is the Thai pronouciation correct in that website. DOes the speaker use correct tones?.

I'd agree that the tone of the middle syllable is going by the book rather than natural. Apart from that, it's fine.

I'd agree that the tone of the middle syllable is going by the book rather than natural. Apart from that, it's fine.

I was actually asking about the pronunciation of All the words on that website.

Seems we got the ball rolling. (e.g. One word is a start). Someone mentioned previously that pronunciations on some sites are "computer generated". I am pretty sure the speakers on the lingopolo audio are actual (real?) persons.

Also, isn't it enough to have good pronunciation as opposed to fine pronunciation.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Apart from that, it's fine.

You mean, its acceptable?. As in, its Okay.

In english of course, if you place an adverb like "very" (or an adjective like "pretty" in front of "fine"), then the meaning is very different.

I sense the Thai use of adverbs and adjectives are very different to English.

Edited by meltingpot2015

The point is that the pedantic pronunciation of เม็ดมะม่วง is [H]met[H]ma[F]muang, and that is what is given, but the rules of normal thai pronunciation convert this to [H]met[M]ma[F]muang. The tone on the middle syllable is the only thing I would say is wrong with the pronunciation.

The point is that the pedantic pronunciation of เม็ดมะม่วง is [H]met[H]ma[F]muang, and that is what is given, but the rules of normal thai pronunciation convert this to [H]met[M]ma[F]muang. The tone on the middle syllable is the only thing I would say is wrong with the pronunciation.

rules of normal thai pronunciation

There is an oxymoron in there somewhere.

There are 3 borrowed words in this headline form yesterdays news.

งามหน้า!สาวทำออรัลเซ็กส์ โชว์กลางผับดังเมืองพัทยา

1- ออรัลเซ็กส์

2- โชว์

3- ผับ

• 1 month later...

Article on English Loanwords in Thai: (This forum has been used for the study!!, how about that?)

pdf_02.pdf

Part from the article (paper):

No examples of a semantic loan were discovered and there were two additional items that have not been placed in this analysis: BTS and MRT. They are interesting because while many companies are known in Thai by their Thai initials, the rail systems get their common Thai usage from the initials of their English names. Their adoption into English vocabulary may be attributed to borrowing from an early adoption into Thai but further research and evidence would be needed to be certain of this.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Article on English Loanwords in Thai: (This forum has been used for the study!!, how about that?)

The article is actually the other way around: Thai words which have been borrowed into English, either phonetically (sanuk) or in translation (longtailed boat).

The article is actually the other way around: Thai words which have been borrowed into English, either phonetically (sanuk) or in translation (longtailed boat).

Of course, any idea on BTS and MRT. Which way round?, English to Thai, or Thai to English.