NACC: graft-busting efforts remain impartial

webfact

NACC: graft-busting efforts remain impartial

BANGKOK, 3 April 2015 (NNT) - Commissioner in the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) Professor Vicha Mahakun has assured that his organization’s anti-graft efforts are impartial, as the agency prepared to submit two high-profile cases.

The commissioner said the NACC has gathered enough evidence to make their case against former Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom and his associates.

The former officials are under investigation for malfeasance and incurring losses in the government-to-government rice contracts under his management. The case will be taken up by the National Legislative Assembly on April 23.

Prof. Vicha also revealed that the anti-graft agency is in the process of gathering important documents needed to submit a request to impeach 250 former Members of Parliament for their role in the attempted charter amendment in 2013.

The amendment attempted to establish the Senate as a fully-elected body. The NACC is expected to submit the impeachment motion before the Songkran holiday.

Regarding former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s program to compensate victims of the 2010 demonstrations, Prof. Vicha said the commission must carefully consult with its related subcommittees on whether it could build a solid impeachment case.

He admitted that the case is a sensitive topic, as the current administration is considering a similar compensation program.

Regarding former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva’s order to disperse the 2010 demonstrators, the NACC commissioner has affirmed the agency will investigate the case with the same diligence as the case against Ms. Yingluck.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-03 footer_n.gif

He admitted that the case is a sensitive topic, as the current administration is considering a similar compensation program.

Nah, you are the rightful heirs to Thailand, you are the privileged, you are the elite and now you have all the power so why care what anyone thinks. Come on, what's stopping you, just do whatever you want. You know you want to wipe out every single person associated with YL, Pheu Thai, UDD and anyone else who can oppose you in the upcoming elections which will be a total farce.

I wonder if the Prayut Government will also ask the receivers of compensation to sign a document promising not to sue his government, just like the Yingluck Government demanded.

An article by Pavin Chachavalpongpun . Associate professor and well-known junta critic. 'beset by corruption scandals' which fail to materialise. Even the microphone issue seemed more the 'usual' practices of higher level government officials. The type that after having worked their way up as government bureaucrat no longer see a difference in what's theirs and what their budget only.

Insinuation on Prayut's wealth, his little brother's wealth (income from land sold, but that follow-up some like to forget). A Pol. Gen. with 340 million Baht. Of course something must be wrong.

Some NLA and cabinet members refused to disclose their assets. Suspicious! All reported assets eventually. Forgotten. NACC disclosed a month after receiving. But that's normal.

• Like 1

Surely, the NACC is looking into the GT 200 purchases right now?

They did.

On 2013-04-25 the BangkokPost reported that the NACC would likely raise fraud charges against Thai government agencies which bought these devices. Over the years about 1.1 billion Baht was spend on GT-200 and Alpha6 devices.

Of course earlier we had the DSI looking into things. I had a nice discussion with my too early departed friend phiphidon at that time. From 2012-07-20

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/571172-thailands-dsi-to-file-case-over-useless-bomb-detectors/

• Like 1

An article by Pavin Chachavalpongpun . Associate professor and well-known junta critic. 'beset by corruption scandals' which fail to materialise. Even the microphone issue seemed more the 'usual' practices of higher level government officials. The type that after having worked their way up as government bureaucrat no longer see a difference in what's theirs and what their budget only.

Insinuation on Prayut's wealth, his little brother's wealth (income from land sold, but that follow-up some like to forget). A Pol. Gen. with 340 million Baht. Of course something must be wrong.

Some NLA and cabinet members refused to disclose their assets. Suspicious! All reported assets eventually. Forgotten. NACC disclosed a month after receiving. But that's normal.

The first list of 100 officials against whom the Justice Minister says there's evidence is being presented to the PM for him to verify the facts then he will decide any action.

He gets a list presented and he will verify the facts so what will he do read the case files then re-interview witnesses, examine all documentary evidence etc.?

Obviously not but any action being authorised by him personally says so much.

The first list of 100 officials against whom the Justice Minister says there's evidence is being presented to the PM for him to verify the facts then he will decide any action.

He gets a list presented and he will verify the facts so what will he do read the case files then re-interview witnesses, examine all documentary evidence etc.?

Obviously not but any action being authorised by him personally says so much.

Actually this belongs in the other topic, but so be it

"The Justice minister said the list of corrupt officials was compiled after consultation with the Public-Sector Spending Scrutiny Committee, the Anti-Corruption Commission, the Auditor General, and the PACC."

With the PM with his Dept PM being in charge of Government Bureaucrats, it makes sense he gets to see the list. Of course if any of those Government Bureaucrats has links with or is controlled by a political figure the NACC should get involved.

My opinion on Government Bureaucrats should be known. I wrote before that I think all top level Government Bureaucrats should be sacked, the middle layers decimated and the salary scales for lowest/lower ranks increased. Of course I was joking when I explained what 'decimation' really means and how that seems to 'encourage' the others.

Edited by rubl

They did.

On 2013-04-25 the BangkokPost reported that the NACC would likely raise fraud charges against Thai government agencies which bought these devices. Over the years about 1.1 billion Baht was spend on GT-200 and Alpha6 devices.

Of course earlier we had the DSI looking into things. I had a nice discussion with my too early departed friend phiphidon at that time. From 2012-07-20

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/571172-thailands-dsi-to-file-case-over-useless-bomb-detectors/

euhhhhh

2 (two) years ago it was "likely" that the NACC would raise fraud charges?

Come on Ruby, surely you can come up with something better?

If you can't refute the message, attack the messenger. I'll encourage the readers to go to the link I provided to see what you omitted. Of course as far as allegations about corruptionin the military, the article barely scratches the surface. The part I find most telling is Prayuth's refusal to condone an investigation of the military.

Attack the messenger? You mean my "Associate professor and well-known junta critic." ?

"what I ommitted"? I only put some parts in my own words. Is that an omission ? I do not agree with the bias shown in the article. That's my opinion. May I, please, please, please?

The part most telling is the suggestion you make that barely the surface was scratched. Based on your telling you continue with telling some more. Your post is clearly biased, but you do try to put logic in how you write, how you try to build up to a conclusion of "it's the junta again". Pity that you write as if stating facts rather than your opinion. As opinion it's more palatable.

They did.

euhhhhh

2 (two) years ago it was "likely" that the NACC would raise fraud charges?

Come on Ruby, surely you can come up with something better?

Till now I have not seen any clear information that there was fraud in government agencies regarding these devices, not even corruption. So there doesn't seem to be grounds for such charges.

Possible charges would be in the decision to buy these devices in the first place. I think Gen. C. Shinawatra was involved in that, 2004 or so.

As for your "something better", of course I can, but I thought you'd rather hear the truth than some bedtime stories wink.png

If you can't refute the message, attack the messenger. I'll encourage the readers to go to the link I provided to see what you omitted. Of course as far as allegations about corruptionin the military, the article barely scratches the surface. The part I find most telling is Prayuth's refusal to condone an investigation of the military.

Attack the messenger? You mean my "Associate professor and well-known junta critic." ?

"what I ommitted"? I only put some parts in my own words. Is that an omission ? I do not agree with the bias shown in the article. That's my opinion. May I, please, please, please?

The part most telling is the suggestion you make that barely the surface was scratched. Based on your telling you continue with telling some more. Your post is clearly biased, but you do try to put logic in how you write, how you try to build up to a conclusion of "it's the junta again". Pity that you write as if stating facts rather than your opinion. As opinion it's more palatable.

I see, the following facts are biased:

"Another shocking case has been that of Prayuth’s own brother, General Preecha Chan-ocha, who was also handpicked to serve in the NLC. Preecha earlier declared that he possessed assets worth approximately 79 million baht. This prompted social media users in Thailand to try and trace the sources of Preecha’s wealth. These investigations found that the money in at least one of Preecha’s bank accounts had apparently come directly from the budget of the 3rd Army, which he used to command. They also found that due to a “math” error in adding up his bank accounts, Preecha’s net worth was closer to 90 million baht than the 79 million baht he originally claimed."

"Worse, out of fear for their own safety, neither the media nor the public are willing to speak out on many of the unattractive realities of Prayuth’s regime."

"A few days ago, Prayuth appeared angry when Thais demanded the government increase transparency. He reportedly said, “I beg you not to dig up anything. There is no benefit in so doing. .... But the media has tried to dig up many issues. So have some politicians. I must say that you cannot do that for the time being.”"

As far as "barely the surface was scratched", if you haven't heard the stories of bribes to exempt people from the draft, corrupt contracting, military complicity with smugglers, and mutually beneficial business deals between contractors and generals, then you haven't been staying up on the news or talking to very many Thai people.

What is most telling is that none of the allegations are ever investigated, but when they make it into the news the reporters get into trouble. Hardly impartial draft busting.

• Like 1

Rubi said concerning the GT 200 purchases:

Till now I have not seen any clear information that there was fraud in government agencies regarding these devices, not even corruption. So there doesn't seem to be grounds for such charges.

Possible charges would be in the decision to buy these devices in the first place. I think Gen. C. Shinawatra was involved in that, 2004 or so.

As for your "something better", of course I can, but I thought you'd rather hear the truth than some bedtime stories xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SAEFake5X

UNQUOTE

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fraud is not proven yet, true, maybe because of lack of investigation?

But dereliction of duty (by the various purchasers) is proven!

By the way, I fully agree with all you say..... (= with your criticism of the corrupt Thaksin clan).

What bothers me, is your blindness for the yellow / Hiso / military corruption.

• Like 1

As for your "something better", of course I can, but I thought you'd rather hear the truth than some bedtime stories xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SAEFake5X

UNQUOTE

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

By the way, I fully agree with all you say..... (= with your criticism of the corrupt Thaksin clan).

If the DSI didn't have anything in 2012 apart from people asking them to look, if the NACC didn't have anything in 2013 apart from pressure to do something, why should you be surprised nothing came up?

Dereliction of duty is proven? Probably more that Thai bureaucracy and politics allows the selective acceptance of some and discard of other 'farang' reports. The lady with the interesting hairdo is also a fine example of 'Thainess'.

What bothers you, bothers you. What bothers me is that with some not involved foreign posters there may be pressure mounting on the NCPO to look at it's own Ministry for past mistakes/corruption/crimes which would only delay the move to democracy and elections. Once we have a proper government with automatic accountability it's just as automatic (or should I say enforceable) that ALL government ministries are to comply. I know this has some 'wishful thinking' and "I'm a dreamer" bits, but trying to make the NCPO behave as a proper democratic apparatus is not the way forward. IMHO.

UNQUOTE

If the DSI didn't have anything in 2012 apart from people asking them to look, if the NACC didn't have anything in 2013 apart from pressure to do something, why should you be surprised nothing came up?

Dereliction of duty is proven? Probably more that Thai bureaucracy and politics allows the selective acceptance of some and discard of other 'farang' reports. The lady with the interesting hairdo is also a fine example of 'Thainess'.

What bothers you, bothers you. What bothers me is that with some not involved foreign posters there may be pressure mounting on the NCPO to look at it's own Ministry for past mistakes/corruption/crimes which would only delay the move to democracy and elections. Once we have a proper government with automatic accountability it's just as automatic (or should I say enforceable) that ALL government ministries are to comply. I know this has some 'wishful thinking' and "I'm a dreamer" bits, but trying to make the NCPO behave as a proper democratic apparatus is not the way forward. IMHO.

Just leave the nice NCPO alone, don't fret over past (and current) corruption, ignore all the repressive measures taken to crush any hint of dissent, and trust them to do good things for Thailand.

Now why would anyone say that is dreaming?facepalm.gif

• Like 1

"Another shocking case has been that of Prayuth’s own brother, General Preecha Chan-ocha, who was also handpicked to serve in the NLC. Preecha earlier declared that he possessed assets worth approximately 79 million baht. This prompted social media users in Thailand to try and trace the sources of Preecha’s wealth. These investigations found that the money in at least one of Preecha’s bank accounts had apparently come directly from the budget of the 3rd Army, which he used to command. They also found that due to a “math” error in adding up his bank accounts, Preecha’s net worth was closer to 90 million baht than the 79 million baht he originally claimed."

"Worse, out of fear for their own safety, neither the media nor the public are willing to speak out on many of the unattractive realities of Prayuth’s regime."

"A few days ago, Prayuth appeared angry when Thais demanded the government increase transparency. He reportedly said, “I beg you not to dig up anything. There is no benefit in so doing. .... But the media has tried to dig up many issues. So have some politicians. I must say that you cannot do that for the time being.”"

As far as "barely the surface was scratched", if you haven't heard the stories of bribes to exempt people from the draft, corrupt contracting, military complicity with smugglers, and mutually beneficial business deals between contractors and generals, then you haven't been staying up on the news or talking to very many Thai people.

What is most telling is that none of the allegations are ever investigated, but when they make it into the news the reporters get into trouble. Hardly impartial draft busting.

A 'math' error. All information declared in five pages, but an addition of items incorrect leading to the first page giving the wrong amount. The German link also mentions that two share packages are valued using an incorrect share price leading to 1,000,000 Baht less assets. I have no comment on that, would depend on what date SHOULD be used in deciding values. Before you ask, my German is good enough to read, understand, speak, haven't needed to write German since college though.

So, for the time being we will not ask for little brother's accountants team to go back to school. Myself, I'm just told by the company I work for that someone (who left the company already) made a mistake and I need to pay 7,500 Baht more over 2014. No, I will not attach the receipt here, I will double check of course if only to try to understand.

What is interesting is that a few 'concerned' citizens can write down more allegations than is worthwhile for the NACC to investigate.

As for your 'scratch on the surface', I'm afraid it will have to wait, unless you're willing to wait a few more years for your elections of course, and a proper education program and a new generation which understands that democracy is more than elections, that democracy has rights and duties equally applicable to ALL.

PS assuming no politician is involved in the scratching, the CNAC can put the name on the list given to the secretary-general of the PACC who being CNAC secretary can give it to the CNAC chair PM Prayut.

Edited by rubl

There can be nothing impartial about a regime that has seized control by force and exempts itself from any accountability.

Period

That may be so, but the NACC is not part of the regime, just like almost no government bureaucrat is part of the regime.

A 'math' error. All information declared in five pages, but an addition of items incorrect leading to the first page giving the wrong amount. The German link also mentions that two share packages are valued using an incorrect share price leading to 1,000,000 Baht less assets. I have no comment on that, would depend on what date SHOULD be used in deciding values. Before you ask, my German is good enough to read, understand, speak, haven't needed to write German since college though.

So, for the time being we will not ask for little brother's accountants team to go back to school. Myself, I'm just told by the company I work for that someone (who left the company already) made a mistake and I need to pay 7,500 Baht more over 2014. No, I will not attach the receipt here, I will double check of course if only to try to understand.

What is interesting is that a few 'concerned' citizens can write down more allegations than is worthwhile for the NACC to investigate.

As for your 'scratch on the surface', I'm afraid it will have to wait, unless you're willing to wait a few more years for your elections of course, and a proper education program and a new generation which understands that democracy is more than elections, that democracy has rights and duties equally applicable to ALL.

PS assuming no politician is involved in the scratching, the CNAC can put the name on the list given to the secretary-general of the PACC who being CNAC secretary can give it to the CNAC chair PM Prayut.

All I can conclude from your post is that you are throwing up a smoke screen to hide the well known fact that the military is widely suspected of a range of corrupt practices, but no one dares investigate the military in Thailand. That's not my idea of impartial graft busting, but it seems it is acceptable to you.

• Like 1

All I can conclude from your post is that you are throwing up a smoke screen to hide the well known fact that the military is widely suspected of a range of corrupt practices, but no one dares investigate the military in Thailand. That's not my idea of impartial graft busting, but it seems it is acceptable to you.

first you accuse me of attacking the messenger, then you don't like me description of the Prayut asset declaration and now it's all smoke.

It's a well known real fact that some think that what everybody knows as well know fact is not necessarily a fact, but then you wrote 'suspected', so you seem to know that.

We differ of opinion, my dear chap. That's no problem.

• Like 1

first you accuse me of attacking the messenger, then you don't like me description of the Prayut asset declaration and now it's all smoke.

It's a well known real fact that some think that what everybody knows as well know fact is not necessarily a fact, but then you wrote 'suspected', so you seem to know that.

"It's a well known real fact that some think that what everybody knows as well know fact is not necessarily a fact, but then you wrote 'suspected', so you seem to know that."

You should teach a writing class.

Any reason why we should believe the graft busting will be impartial? Especially considering that Prayuth will not tolerate criticism of the army http://news.yahoo.com/thai-junta-chief-says-wont-stand-criticism-military-065729103.html. Presumably insinuations of graft in the army will not be well received.

• Like 1

"It's a well known real fact that some think that what everybody knows as well know fact is not necessarily a fact, but then you wrote 'suspected', so you seem to know that."

Any reason why we should believe the graft busting will be impartial? Especially considering that Prayuth will not tolerate criticism of the army http://news.yahoo.com/thai-junta-chief-says-wont-stand-criticism-military-065729103.html. Presumably insinuations of graft in the army will not be well received.

Presumable, as it may be or not be, depending on ones views, etc., etc.

BTW I like your "insinuations", it would seem to suggest something which can be ignored

Edited by rubl

Presumable, as it may be or not be, depending on ones views, etc., etc.

BTW I like your "insinuations", it would seem to suggest something which can be ignored

Quite right, I should have been direct. Graft-busting will not be impartial, allies of the junta will be exempt from investigation, and reports of graft in the military will be ignored, as they always have been.