Anti-human trafficking effort now national agenda

webfact

Anti-human trafficking effort now national agenda

BANGKOK, 3 April 2015 (NNT)-Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha presided over an official announcement of the anti-human trafficking policy today.

According to Deputy Police Commander Police Major General Kraiboon Suadsong, the announcement has been made at the Royal Thai Police Headquarters.

The anti-human trafficking effort has now made its way to the top of Thailand’s national agenda this year. Thailand has since last year been downgraded to Tier 3 on the global human trafficking rank.

The current spot, considered the worst, has prompted the country to take serious action. The anti-human trafficking effort will be divided into an urgent and a follow-up phases.

Border entry will be monitored rigorously to prevent migrant workers from falling victim to human trafficking rings. The authorities will then continue to maintain border surveillance and follow the risk group.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-03 footer_n.gif

" loss of revenue " , maybe, but then that same reason has been around for many years.

Despite those naysayers a week ago disbelieving that action would be taken, the problem seems to be receiving welcome attention.

" loss of revenue " , maybe, but then that same reason has been around for many years.

Despite those naysayers a week ago disbelieving that action would be taken, the problem seems to be receiving welcome attention.

The US closes it's books on the trafficking rating at the end of April. This is a last push to try to improve from tier 3 to tier 2. It will be interesting to see if this initiative extends past the end of the month. My experience tells me it will quietly fade away, as all of these initiatives generally do.

That's not what this is about. The US is Thailand's #1 trading partner and is finalizing a report on Thai slave labor by the end of this month.

It's possible that none of the civilized western countries would buy products which were produced by slave labor. Would you?

I've forgotten the specifics, but I believe that Thailand, if not the biggest, is one of the biggest seafood exporters in the world. That could come to a near sudden stop.

While I wish that Thailand would clean up its act in fishing, construction and other areas, I have a feeling this will be smoke and mirrors. This corruption goes clear to the top.

I remind you that Thailand's leader amassed a large personal fortune on a soldier's salary...

• Like 1

That's not what this is about. The US is Thailand's #1 trading partner and is finalizing a report on Thai slave labor by the end of this month.

It's possible that none of the civilized western countries would buy products which were produced by slave labor. Would you?

I've forgotten the specifics, but I believe that Thailand, if not the biggest, is one of the biggest seafood exporters in the world. That could come to a near sudden stop.

While I wish that Thailand would clean up its act in fishing, construction and other areas, I have a feeling this will be smoke and mirrors. This corruption goes clear to the top.

I remind you that Thailand's leader amassed a large personal fortune on a soldier's salary...

You wrote, "The US is Thailand's #1 trading partner" No they are not.

Top 5 Export destinations of Thailand

China (14%), Japan (10%), United States (9.7%), Indonesia (5.2%), and Malaysia (5.0%)

Top 5 Import origins of Thailand

Japan (22%), China (18%), Malaysia (6.3%), United States (5.3%), and South Korea (4.5%)

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/tha/

US is 10 and 5 percent exports and imports not really much to worry about.

Edited by lostoday

You wrote, "The US is Thailand's #1 trading partner" No they are not.

Top 5 Export destinations of Thailand

China (14%), Japan (10%), United States (9.7%), Indonesia (5.2%), and Malaysia (5.0%)

Top 5 Import origins of Thailand

Japan (22%), China (18%), Malaysia (6.3%), United States (5.3%), and South Korea (4.5%)

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/tha/

US is 10 and 5 percent exports and imports not really much to worry about.

Perhaps. But add Japan and the US together and an embargo, of say...seafood, would certainly be something to worry about.

Hall says he felt a strong desire to “both empower migrants to stand up and fight the abuse they were facing” but also “to create a system and policies within the Thai system to allow them to stand up and fight”. Even now, he adds, migrant workers – who comprise as much as 10% of Thailand’s workforce, primarily in the fishing, construction, canning and agriculture sectors – are not allowed to form unions in Thailand, and their rights are still severely limited. http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2014/sep/07/labour-rights-activist-andy-hall-natural-fruit-company

The use of labour and the rights attached to that labour is the problem. Migrant workers need to develop passport systems so their labour is also regulated.

Again the title to the article may not be all encompassing as to how the regime see's the problem?