Big Blocks

Khutan

Only look here if you are a petrol-head  

18 members have voted

1. 1. You want to drive a Big Block

• I lie awake at night dreaming of one
    • No Way - Turbo's and Rotaries are the way

This poll is closed to new votes

Big Blocks are generally considered to be bigger than 6-Litre.

You want to drive one here in Thailand ?

I had a Big Block Ford and would have just loved to drive "baby" on the Tollway to Pattaya.

Opinions and thoughts please.

It would be entertaining indeed to have my first car here (Mercury Cyclone Spoiler). It had a 429 Cobra Jet engine (> 7.0 liters 370HP) in it with a 780cfm Holley four-barrel carb and had got it up to about 280km/hour on the Interstate. Don't think there is any place to do that here, well maybe the BKK to Chonburi motorway. :o

And the sound... that deep throaty rumble, and just in idle. :D

Edited by tywais

Some of the latest bad boy big block engines out there.

"In 2002 General Motors released the carbureted Chevrolet 572 crate engine (9.4L), available for installation in most vehicles which have enough room under the hood, both in a 620 hp street version, which runs on premium gasoline, and a 720 hp version, which requires racing fuel. Mopar (Chrysler) recently released the 528 Hemi (8.7L) and 540 (8.8L) crate engines. Both of these incorporate modern hardened metals and are able to run on unleaded gasoline." Source: Wiki Big-block

bigblock.gif

Edited by tywais

I guess a 283 Corvette V-8 (4.6 liters) doesn't exactly count, but it was in my Austin Healey....

Okay, not sports cars, but two Ford station wagons, the big monsters, with 390 V-8 (6.4 liters). I had one flying through the altiplano of Mexico, en route to Zacatecas, well above sea level. About 900 pounds of cargo on board (including a fully loaded luggage rack), and at 98 miles per hour, flooring the accelerator pedal still downshifted to passing gear. Don't ask me what gas mileage I was getting.

None of those cars would work right in Thailand. Even the Healey, if you got it over 100 mph on the superhighway between Chiang Mai and Lampang, would find that Somchai was pushing a wheelbarrow across the highway with two dogs.

I guess a 283 Corvette V-8 (4.6 liters) doesn't exactly count, but it was in my Austin Healey....

Okay, not sports cars, but two Ford station wagons, the big monsters, with 390 V-8 (6.4 liters). I had one flying through the altiplano of Mexico, en route to Zacatecas, well above sea level. About 900 pounds of cargo on board (including a fully loaded luggage rack), and at 98 miles per hour, flooring the accelerator pedal still downshifted to passing gear. Don't ask me what gas mileage I was getting.

None of those cars would work right in Thailand. Even the Healey, if you got it over 100 mph on the superhighway between Chiang Mai and Lampang, would find that Somchai was pushing a wheelbarrow across the highway with two dogs.

I remember driving with my father in his 1965 Pontiac GTO. Fire engineRed with a black interior. Three dueces on the monster engine. We were on the highway when a corvette drove up next to us and playfully egged us on. My dad opened up the bad boy and we blew the doors of the Corvette. What a great moment...

I remember driving with my father in his 1965 Pontiac GTO. Fire engineRed with a black interior. Three dueces on the monster engine. We were on the highway when a corvette drove up next to us and playfully egged us on. My dad opened up the bad boy and we blew the doors of the Corvette. What a great moment...

Yeah, the GTO was one of my favorites. Here are the specs on it, I believe the bold is the one you are referring too, nearly the same HP as my 429:

Engines: 389 V8 335 bhp @ 5000 rpm, 431 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm.

389 V8 (3x2) 360 bhp @ 5200 rpm, 431 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.

389 V8 Ram Air 360bhp @ 5200 rpm, 431 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm

Performance: 389/360 (3x2): 0-60 in 6.1 sec, 1/4 mile in 14.7 sec @ 99mph.

Yeah, the GTO was one of my favorites. Here are the specs on it, I believe the bold is the one you are referring too, nearly the same HP as my 429:

Engines: 389 V8 335 bhp @ 5000 rpm, 431 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm.

389 V8 (3x2) 360 bhp @ 5200 rpm, 431 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.

389 V8 Ram Air 360bhp @ 5200 rpm, 431 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm

Performance: 389/360 (3x2): 0-60 in 6.1 sec, 1/4 mile in 14.7 sec @ 99mph.

I'll see your GTO and raise you a GS

Buick Riveria GS 1970

Engines: 455 V8 370 bhp @ 4600 rpm, 510 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm.

Still rather bee rumbling round in a 300sel 6.3 at 14.5 for the 1/4 its a real quick sedan

300sel 6.3

Factory Specifications

Engine: 6300 cc (385 ci) V8

Horsepower: 300 bhp @ 4000 rpm

Torque: 368 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm

0-60 mph: 6.9 sec

1/4 Mile: 14.5 sec

Top Speed: 137 mph (221 km/h)

Transmission: automatic

Brakes: disc / disc

Tires: 205VR14

Suspension: air / air

Curb Weight: 4035 lb (1830 kg)

Length: 196.9 in (5000 mm)

Width: 71.3 in (1810 mm)

Height: 57.9 in (1470 mm)

Wheelbase: 112.2 in (2850 mm)

I find this a very interesting topic, reading your comments only confirms to me that the fun days of motoring are over, sure if you have big bucks you can still buy a musle car with a big block but musle cars and big blocks for the multitude, those days have gone for ever, thats why unfortunatly I had to vote Turbo, years ago I wouldent have been seen dead in a diesel, for me it had to be a big block, I used to have a Lyncoln continental mk4, 460ci, also a Cadilac elderado 501ci, same as Boss Hogg on dukes of Hazard, but to be honest there's just nothing to take there place, and there hasent been for years, yes its great to be driving round in a firebird 400 but its a 30+ year old car ! to proove theres nothing to take there place just look at latest block buster moovies, why are many of the main charictors driving round in 30 year old cars ?

I find this a very interesting topic, reading your comments only confirms to me that the fun days of motoring are over, sure if you have big bucks you can still buy a musle car with a big block but musle cars and big blocks for the multitude, those days have gone for ever, thats why unfortunatly I had to vote Turbo, years ago I wouldent have been seen dead in a diesel, for me it had to be a big block, I used to have a Lyncoln continental mk4, 460ci, also a Cadilac elderado 501ci, same as Boss Hogg on dukes of Hazard, but to be honest there's just nothing to take there place, and there hasent been for years, yes its great to be driving round in a firebird 400 but its a 30+ year old car ! to proove theres nothing to take there place just look at latest block buster moovies, why are many of the main charictors driving round in 30 year old cars ?

Don't worry, the American car manufacturers are re-releasing their old muscle cars for just this sentiment. Some of them even look good! :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challen...08-announced.29

The 380SE feels :o great at 180-200 km/hr. :D Great between Din Dang and Changwattana at 2-3 am no traffic. :D Much different than the Japanese models. :D

:D I know the 380SE isn't a muscle car, but it sure can cook! :D

post-17974-1157500324.jpg

Edited by ilyushin

With the gas prices these days, you need BIG bucks to run one of those muscle cars. My dad used to race a 5.0 liter Chevy Camero Z-28. It didn't run super fast (about 135+mph) but it was a tough car...that thing could really take a beating! I think it's funny nowadays when so many folks soup up these little Japanese cars with 2.0 inline 4's and put large diameter exhaust pipes on them so they sound like V8's :o I hear this roar coming down the road and it's some guy driving a Honda Civic.

Remember, too, that these old V-8's were proud to make even one horsepower per cubic inch, out of engines that did not have fuel injection, supercharging, turbo, or overhead camshafts. A new Nissan NV pickup truck has 110 hp with fuel injection, or 1.13 hp/cu.in., and it's just a simple pickup. Honda's sports car S2000 gets almost 2 hp/cu.in without forced induction.

Those old muscle cars usually handled terribly, though. I wouldn't want to drive an old Pontiac GTO to Mae Hong Son.

Remember, too, that these old V-8's were proud to make even one horsepower per cubic inch, out of engines that did not have fuel injection, supercharging, turbo, or overhead camshafts. A new Nissan NV pickup truck has 110 hp with fuel injection, or 1.13 hp/cu.in., and it's just a simple pickup. Honda's sports car S2000 gets almost 2 hp/cu.in without forced induction.

Those old muscle cars usually handled terribly, though. I wouldn't want to drive an old Pontiac GTO to Mae Hong Son.

Not only handling bad, but 4 wheel drum brakes, just the thing on wet roads after running thru a few big puddles and ohh look we cant stop now, or windy roads after a few big brakes comming into corners and the 5th or so corner, well you ended up steering with the right foot and lots of opposite lock.

With the gas prices these days, you need BIG bucks to run one of those muscle cars. My dad used to race a 5.0 liter Chevy Camero Z-28. It didn't run super fast (about 135+mph) but it was a tough car...that thing could really take a beating! I think it's funny nowadays when so many folks soup up these little Japanese cars with 2.0 inline 4's and put large diameter exhaust pipes on them so they sound like V8's :o I hear this roar coming down the road and it's some guy driving a Honda Civic.

I disagree with that statement. They don't want them to sound like V8s' they want them to sound like a race car. An inline 4 will never sound like a V8/V12/Inline 5 or 6 Cylinder engine. Each of them has a unique sound. The Subaru Impreza is a Flat (Boxer) 4 and makes one of the best sounds.....my other fav is the Triumph Triple (m/c) used in the Daytona and Speed Triple machines...lovely sound.

I find this a very interesting topic, reading your comments only confirms to me that the fun days of motoring are over, sure if you have big bucks you can still buy a musle car with a big block but musle cars and big blocks for the multitude, those days have gone for ever, thats why unfortunatly I had to vote Turbo.......

I don't think its right to say the "fun days of motoring are over" just because big block V8s' are not popular anymore......most people in Europe will probably never experienced one and thats a huge motoring community.......the world doesn't revolve around the US you know :D

If you want a V8 how about going to Sweden and having a look at the Koenigsegg CCR 4.9 ltr Supercharged V8 with an output of 806Bhp or.....how about the V10 in the new BMW M5? Both sound amazing and the differance is.....unlike american cars...these ones handle and stop properly too :D

Sorry the fun days of motoring are far from over :D

I have two cars a Toyota Altis for my city travel which is economical and the 380SE for great with longer trips. Its perfect for those runs because it can handle, brake, smooth, comfortable and has the power, fuel burn isn't too bad once out of Bangkok.

Toyota brakes are inferior to their brothers in Japan and US, don't you agree? :o

In the end "Big Blocks Rock"

Miss the quater mile runs with 302ci, 329, 350ci, 396ci, 400ci engines all 442s ( 4 barrel carb, 4 speed trans, dual(2)exhaust). Those were great days.

:D

Edited by ilyushin

I used to have a soft spot for big V8s but now the jap engines seem superior when it comes to street/strip tuned engines.Nissan RB26 can be modified to push out in excess of 1000bhp,which is ###### good coming from a 2 and half litre!Civics were mentioned earlier,lots of the Civics here in Thailand have B16A engines from Type Rs and Integras which in standard form push 200whp.mine is an older B16 and thts good for 180whp without turbo.

Having said that,I wouldnt say no to a Dodge Challenger for the weekly jaunt up Bangna-Trat!

As this dude in Sydney with his skyline shows you can do just about anything, 8.2 on the Quarter!, some great vids on the site too.

GTR700

GTR-700 - Stage 3 - Outright drag specifications:

Current power: Greater than 1 Megawatt (~1,350 BHP) at over 3.0 Kg/cm2

Current weight: 1,345 Kg (~2,960 lbs) as raced with fuel and driver. Weight increase due to requisite safety equipment.

Best result: Best ET of 8.273 and best trap speed of 167.76 mph. Using only 10,500 rpm rev limit (estimated ~1,100 BHP)

*: Run done at estimated 66% power potential. Still much more to go, yet! :o

Engine redline: Exceeds 13,000 rpm (Stage 2 was 11,500rpm)

• 2 weeks later...
With the gas prices these days, you need BIG bucks to run one of those muscle cars.

I am not sure about that, I think it depends greatly on the modality of the driver.

My favourite (not totally a Big Block) was a Ford 351 Cleveland, with a 650 Holly, however the secondaries on the Holly were Vacuum, not mechanical. If I drove around like I was in no hurry, I would get nearly 35 MPG, this was particularly evident when I was driving to work, and I made sure I had the Aircon off and I was not adding to the "Taxable Horesepower". It had a 120 Litre Tank, and I would fill the tank about once a month. I was also on a very rainy night drive from Alexandria in Sydney to Brisbane CBD on a tankful of fuel.

On the other side of the coin, if I took my friends out for a quick drive, I could use nearly a quater of a tank in about an hour of hard driving.

I ended having that car written off sadly, I was drunk. No I wasn't driving, rather I was being responsible and I was sleeping at a friends place and someone lost control coming around a corner in the rain and hit my beautiful car at about 90km /h, I always slept in the bedroom near my car / driveway, so its parting jesture was to save my life.

I then replaced it with the same rolling chassis, and I knew a "Clapped out" 351-C, I had that replaced with a full spec Carol Shelby 429, running into the normal Top-Loader Gearbox and the famous ford 9-inch diff. It was a great peice of gear, and far too fast for a mortal like me to drive, so I put the engine and drive-train into a Cobra Kit car, and I got all nostalgic and put a 351-W with all the Alan Roots goodies into the car.

I found the Alan Roots 351-W (Alloy heads, roller-rockers, huge valves etc) to be a great engine, though again a 351 and not a true Big-Block. I then decided to "Strap on" a Weiland Super Charger, and really only drove around on sundays. With the Supercharger, I had to reduce the compression ratio from nearly 11-1 to a gereatric 9-1. Without the puffer blowing, the thing was like walking through mud, where as with the super-charger going, it was nearly impossible to control, particularly in the wet. I eventually was very happy to sell the car.

I was playing around also with boats for a while, and in my opinion, Big-Blocks (about 400 Cubic Inch and bigger) are the only way to go. I have had a ski behind 500Hp outboards which are just 2x2.6 litre v6 and I must say it is really odd being towed by 500hp of 2-stroke :o

Anyway, that is some of my experience. However, I am very interested to hear other thoughts.

** A Little more for balance on this tread and honesty :D

Sorry, I wanted to add, I am now thinking of a Nissan Skyline GTR, I just have no idea whare to buy a decent one here.

I want the Twin Turbo V6 - 4wd Version. The problem I have is as it was only really released in Japan and Australia, then spares and particularly service will be impossible.

i rememeber seeing a Mercedes around the 1970 era with a big block, 6.9l? it did the 1/4 in just over 14.3 seconds now thats a car i would like to drive along the motor way, or a Buick Riviera GS 1970 370hp 455ci Scweet!

This Mercedes is a 450 SE 6.9.

They were built from 1975 and a couple of years.

3 years ago I was sitting in one of my favourite bars here in Chiang Rai when one of these wonderful car stopped outside and the owner came in for a beer or two.

Of course I had a chat with him, he was a very nice Thai Chinese from BKK and now and then he had some business up north of CR.

He told me that he had seen quite many of them in BKK and thought it would not be impossible to find one for sale.

Well, one day.... :o:D:D

I once had a 1995 BMW M3, engine just above 3 liters and 325HP. 6 cylinders in line

Not a big block but not a turbo.

Great car, great engine, looks to be revving up endlessly and smoothly.

Had to be careful because, even at 200km/h, I never had the sensation of speed I had with other cars , could be dangerous.